India at Tokyo 2020: A Roadmap

Comments

• DEFENCE123DEFENCE123 India657 Points
    Any chance to get more than 6 medals?
  • Yes wrestling is there so we can still expect more than 6
  • spartasparta Jamshedpur FC2074 Points
    Decent performance by Kamalpreet Kaur to finish Top 6 in Olympics. She wasn't even in national contention till this year. Hopefully, now she should get a decent high level coach and she will improve further in upcoming years with consistent throws. Her current coach is some SAI centre coach in a remote location. AFI didn't even provide her a decent level coach to improve even after qualification. This is the first year where she touched 65 and 66m so with experience she will improve in it.

Her training equipment during lockdown was double bed and flower pots. A better physical coach to improve her strength will help a lot. I hope there will be govt and corporate support for her now. Lot better than the track superstars who don't even qualify on merit and some who win 5-6 gold medals in random events.

She has world championship, Asian games, commonwealth games to look upto and then Paris 2024. Need to find few more strong athletes like her. 
    BadDarkomunna219777G_Kdeepukartik91
  • BadBad 5146 Points
    I said that this was the best I have seen our Women's team paly despite their 5-1 loss against Netherlands. I even said that they can make it to the Quarter Finals if they played like like in the remaining matches. However, in in will agree that I never expected them to beat Australia and reach the Semi-final ( Pleasantly surprised).

Our Men's and Women's team are standing on the cusp of glory. One more win atleast and if possible two more wins for both of them will not only write their names in the history books but will change the complexsion of Hockey and Sports in general in our country.
    DarkospartaRonnymunna219777
  • DarkoDarko Mumbai177 Points
    edited August 2021
    A question to the followers of the Games: How come Croatia is able to punch so much above its weight?

Olympics - shooting, athletics, rowing/sailing, handball.
    Football - in the top standings.

And they are part of the top executive committee of Olympics. What's the secret?

I see them as a role model for India. The country that India should aspire to emulate.
    giridharanmunna219777
  • giridharangiridharan Washington D.C4010 Points
    South European country like Croatia with Mediterranean climate has always been active in all ball games as you mentioned. Their climate supports that, post war they have stronger minded people who are fighting for everything. The 1998 WC in football, they played with their hears out and improved year on year They are mentally strong. The other parts of Europe has comparatively more academies and structure, but I feel they are strong willed and passionate people who are brave enough to fight for all. They are independent for 40 years back from a tough war. There are values which might not be taught and rather be inspired on own walks of life.
    Darkomunna219777
  • ashindiaashindia 9365 Points
    Darko said:
    A question to the followers of the Games: How come Croatia is able to punch so much above its weight?

Olympics - shooting, athletics, rowing/sailing, handball.
    Football - in the top standings.

And they are part of the top executive committee of Olympics. What's the secret?

I see them as a role model for India. The country that India should aspire to emulate.
    Definitely sports culture and Government investment in the sports. 

Small observation I made recently, is that a country like Portugal performs worst than us in Olympics. 
    DarkoRonnygiridharanmunna219777
  • giridharangiridharan Washington D.C4010 Points
    @ashindia
    But Croatia barely gets funding for Olympics, They are spirited people. This happened in 2016
    https://www.total-croatia-news.com/sport/11421-croatian-olympic-committee-has-no-funding-with-olympic-games-starting-in-less-than-four-months

But I think they are no where near close to budgets our country puts into these events.
    Darkomunna219777
  • munna219777munna219777 28557 Points

Croatia was a part of Former Yugoslavia which was a champion sporting nation. In 1990s due to civil war  Yugoslavia broke into Bosnia, Croatia, Kosovo, North Macedonia, Slovenia, Serbia.

And many refugees settled in various countries around the world. 

but each of these countries can qualify on merit at Euro cup or world cup football . Yugoslavia descent footballers represent many countries from switzerland to Australia  Sweden to Austria  we can see them. Tennis and many other sports.

Champion sporting legacy

Darkogiridharanindian_gooner