India vs Bahrain AFC Asian Cup 2019: The Blue Tigers' Tryst With Destiny

Comments

• AdityaVAdityaV Bhubaneswar142 Points
    Well what a dissapointment, truly horrible performance today and deservdly lost,Bahrain were the better team but boy does it hurt bad. 
    Good news is that this is quite possibly  the least talented team we will have for the next few years. The older guys like Borges,Nazary,Kotal,Halder looked out of place. While the younger players seemed the most capable of implementing a modern style of play in Udanta ,Ashique and Thapa. So surely the newer generations should be able to keep up with the better coaching and exposure they are getting.
    Chettri was off colour today and dont know how long he will continue, he is still the only real goalscorer we have.
    Need to give chances to Brandon,Soosairaj to see if one can grab the CAM spot. Playmaking was badly missing today, as Bahrain figured out to cut the wing play for us as it was the only weapon we have.
    Hopefully we can replace SC well, need someone who can build around the organization and defensive structure.
    We have come a long way from the dark days of saff cup losses against Nepal and Afghanistan.We have shown we can compete with atleast the 2nd tier of Asia.Need to stay and grow from here.
    Deb_Bangoalkeeparsouravindiamunna219777
  • ChelseafanChelseafan Allahabad1655 Points
    I think Armando Colaco can be a good option for Indian coach. He did do well in his last stint with the national team. Plus he plays possesion football, tge way it should be played. Btw what is he upto these days?
    Abhishek
  • Carbon_14Carbon_14 Bengaluru 4771 Points
    I think Constantine did a good job over 4 years.

Look when it started, we drew Nepal 0-0 in away match & won 2-0. I mean we were that bad. I still remember world cup qualification matches Vs Iran, Oman(away) & Turkmenistan (both) we were super horrible. Compare that to our first 3 halfs of Asia cup & you will see the difference. He's not a bad coach, we need some improved midfield & we can do lot better. UAE killed our game the moment they brought that #8

He also got better results with our U23 team & in last month results against China, Oman , Thailand & UAE. I would say thank you Constantine.

Regarding players selection, I hate him for that. He should have at least tried different players doing good at some time. At least call them to camp & see. I also think our assistant coach who was Constantine's eye (during his international trip) is most useless. How come he can't persuade him for better players? 

Final point, I hope we go for some great coach. while  for shitty tournament like ISL marquee coach is mandatory, then why can't we think beyond Rocca/Ferias/Jamil/Derrick/Armando? why can't we think for someone who has won asia cup previously or something like that? 

After seeing last 4 years of Indian football I really thank Stephen Constantine, he improved our NT lot & I give him his credit. Thank you SC!
    goalkeeparAbhishek
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29628 Points
    Thank you @benyamin for your kind words

Not very sure whether the penalty was fair or not but the way India played, particularly in the second half, they did not deserve to win this match...after such a fantastic start, the anti-climax is indeed very disappointing...very hard to digest this loss

Best of luck to Iran in the Asian Cup from all of us here at IFN!

ashindiasouravindiaspartagoalkeeparAbhishekbenyamin
  • Lets close this thread. The more we post comments/read them, the more the agony/frustration/heartbreak...
    Abhishek
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29628 Points
    Sunil Chhetri on the loss

“When you allow every cross to come in, there will be desperation. How many are you going to save? We needed to have more guts and needed to calm down. They were desperate. They had two men behind the ball and if we strung three-four passes, it would have been two versus two. We didn't think that time and just kept defending and everything wrong that could have happened, happened,” he further explained.

“It was mental too because if you keep giving the ball, it is not easy to defend for 90 minutes. So, at some point, we had to be brave and keep the ball like we threatened UAE. We have more chances than them. Today we had only one or two half chances. It was easy for them. It is something we learn and hope we become better after this,” he signed off.

https://www.goal.com/en-in/news/asian-cup-2019-sunil-chhetri-stephen-constantine-india/ns6n7ovs7unu1o6sqyrp5tt8x
    DX
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    edited January 2019
    Only 5 players, played well during the tournament.Only these 5, should be in contention for selection.

Chhetri,Udanta,Sandesh,Gurpreet,Thapa.

Pranoy and Aashique were okay.

Only these players should remain in and around the squad.Rest,new and performing players should be included.

Jhinghan was excellent yesterday and throughout the Tournament as well. Hope he finds a better club.

AshishKaulmunna219777Abhishek
  • ashindiaashindia 9254 Points
    Im sorry to Say but Chettri performance has gone down. He did amazing with the goals in first match but thatst it. Now that he is 34 its time to give chance and groom a good striker for coming years.
    goalkeeparAshishKaulmunna219777
  • I think team let down Chhetri. If your main striker has to come down continuously in defense and get the ball, how on earth is he going to score. To me we lost the match when we played Borges in place of Thapa. Borges is not at international level. He is too slow. His positioning was awful as well as his passing.
    He was always in no mans land when any of his opposition midfielder received the ball. Regarding Jeje, the less we talk about him the better.
    Deb_BanAshishKaulgoalkeeparspartaAbhishekdeepu
  • souravindia That is correct . Borges loose his balance always. Too slow and losing ball to opposition always.