Intercontinental Cup 2019

Comments

• BrainFallINDIABrainFallINDIA India7380 Points
    Oh so now everyone understand what Consta was trying to do. When he was actually in charge these hypocrites were tearing him apart after every match . An important factor for SCs success was the patience shown by AIFF , even after two dull years he was given a new contract , so bottomline is that this WILL take time but I'm quite positive about this coach.
    Abhishekmunna219777haritrams24Deb_Bangopiajeeshkartik91Passispartadeepak dedhasouravindia
  • AbhishekAbhishek 461 Points
    "Some players are like Maradona in training pitch and when the games come they disappear," - Stimach.

I wonder who this might be! :smiley:

https://khelnow.com/news/article/intercontinental-cup-2019-india-dpr-korea-igor-stimac-post-match-press-conference

munna219777haritrams24kartik91spartasouravindia
  • Koi kuch bhi khe but I am still not much disappointed with result and stimac and still believes in him and loved the way india played in the 2nd half.look carefully at the type of football we are playing.
    We are making good moves playing creative football can see that india got midfield which was absent in stephen tenure.
    & These result doesn't make stephen good coach he was crap and will remain crap.
    He was only just fortunate and nothing else
    Deb_Bankartik91spartaAbhishekdeepak dedhasouravindia
  • Carbon_14Carbon_14 Bengaluru 4771 Points
    And one more thing... Mandar was involved in both goals in last match... for first goal his pass won penalty & second was his assists... I agree he’s not great defender, but if in future we turn to 3 player defence, he’s good option

i also think he should leave fc Goa if guy like Jackie is preferred over him on left wing
  • NaujawanNaujawan 1609 Points
    What? 3 player defence and one of them being mandar ? Noway man, ususalu three player defences are 3cbs and with winger with defensive duties. Unless you have a world class Wingback.  Mandar needs to learn to play the  above 30 Ashley young role in Man U.
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29706 Points
    My point has been proven again, Indians have genetical defect 
    haritrams24Abhishek
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India30182 Points
    @munna219777; Could you please explain what "better result" or "desired results' you are talking about? You have yourself stated multiple times on this forum that so-called better/desired results under SC have come against lower ranked teams or B/C teams of strong countries and only served to get us better pots and secure a high FIFA ranking which was not a true reflection of our real ranking?

I am not sure who you are considering as a fan favourite. Are the fans wrong in clamouring for the inclusion of players like Adil, Joby, Brandon et al? They have outperformed the likes of Passi, Holi and Das in the domestic circuit. I have never been critical of Jairu...in fact, always admired his work rate, though always admitted that his crossing was poor. Guys like Hassan etc have been very critical of Jairu in the past.

Let's not bring the ISL vs I-league debate here. ( I do agree that in spite of Stimac's claim that he observes both the leagues, only Joby of I-league finds a place in his squad). Do we know that Brandon, Mandar who excel in the ISL would have been less successful in the I-league? Again, neither Brandon nor Mandar have played in the NT consistently to be considered failures.

Last but not least, the most important point. You and other members have made the observation that Consta chose players according to his playing style...also that Indians are not very comfortable with playing a passing brand of football. Now how does a coach select his playing style? Surely according to the strengths and weaknesses of the players at his disposal...not the other way round i.e he selects a playing style and then picks up/rejects players accordingly. Did Constantine do a research on Indian football and and conclude that hoofing the ball to the striker/wing play coupled with set pieces is what Indians are most comfortable with and then chose his players accordingly/? If he did, kudos to him...if not, serious questions arise both about his style and his player selection policy.

Secondly, is it confirmed that Indians are absolutely incapable of playing the passing game? Is is something we are genetically incapable of? I am not sure so just asking the question. Now it is almost obvious that we cannot play the tiki-taka version of Spanish football but I think that over the last few years or so in the later part of Consta's tenure (as @Chelseafan said) and now under Stimac, we have shown that we can play decent passing football. So why not stick to that and sometimes mix and match it with the old British style of direct long balls from the defence to the attackers? Then select the best players who are capable of executing that style. The results would be there for everyone to see.
    Chelseafandebarghya89
  • ChelseafanChelseafan Allahabad1655 Points
    @thebeaut@thebeautifulgame Actually I don't think anyone talking about Consti's team is actually arguing to bring him back. All tgat is being argued tgat his playing style suited Indian players while Stimac wants to play expansive, attacking football but without solidifying his defence. You may have the best midfield or strikers but if your defence is shitty then even God can't save you. Prime example is Argentina. 
    And Consti did do his research based on the terrible results we got Koevermans. He started out playing extremely dull, defensive football which involved defenders hoofing the ball and desperately clearing it out of defence. I remember watching the Centre back partnership of Jhingan and Arnab (Roy? I think...not sure about his surname) playing no nonsense football and were merely concerned with clearing the ball away from defence at whatever cost during Consti's early tenure. Gradually Consti taught them to pass the ball to team mates instead of hoofing it. And our players, especially defenders became much more comfortable on the ball. This is how players and team evolve and change their playing style. You can't simply ask Stoke city to start playing like Barca one fine day! It takes time. And as for Indian players, I believe we are capable of playing decent passing game if its combined with counter attacking strategy with enough solidity in our defence.
    Yes, Stimac should be given time to perfect his system and playing XI and players like Brandon, Mandar etc should be given an extended run in NT, but the coach must understand how to best utilise Indians' footballing talents. For a technically inferior team like ours, he can at least improve our fitness, pressing, movements with and without ball, stamina....if we have good stamina tgen we can run for full 90 minutes and press and close down opposition players more effectively. And Stimac can certainly teach our players to not pass the ball backwards all the time, even when they are in opposition half and there is hardly any pressure on them!! I liked the way Tajikistan played against us. It was short passing with adequate pressing and good movements of players. If Tajiks can play such football then surely we can too! We should emulate their style of play. 
    Abhishek
  • EastBengalPrideEastBengalPride India9301 Points
    IMO, a minimum qualification to play in NT should be 1000 mins in the season. You can't have guys like Manvir who aren't even good enough for their clubs to start. Also if we are going to play counter attacking football, then we don't really need Brandon, Sahal is better suited as a CAM than Brandon. 
    Naujawan