Sunil Chhetri

Comments

• ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    http://www.indiatvnews.com/sports/soccer/is-sunil-chhetri-ready-to-play-in-top-european-league-6858.html

Well, he did have a chance with Sporting Clube de Portugal B and that did not go well, many moves to England and Scotland ruined through work-permit (with Rangers probably being a last-minute marketing hope), and he did not even make the bench in MLS.

Guy is a good player but he would still not be able to make it in MLS... maybe as a bench player at best but who the hell wants a 31-year old bench player and who would want to be a 31-year old bench player? Guy should stay in India and try to groom the next generation of Indian footballers. We need players between the ages of 20-26 who are playing and scoring the way he is... sadly he is 31 so that is not possible with him.
    deepakcmunna219777gaffertape
  • deepakcdeepakc Mumbai 3416 Points
    I think he can definetly cut it in A league for 2 seasons.

That will be a real inspiration for the nxt generation.

Seeing Chetri play in ACL will be similar to the extra boost Japanese football got when Kagawa joined man u.
    gaffertape
    There are many Aussie players in the A-League who are just as good as he is, the bench is reduced to 5 over there and you have foreigner restrictions. If Chhetri was 25-26 then yes, a move to Australia would not be the worst thing but not now at 31... specially on a AFC Champions League team, that will never happen.

Best thing that can happen is that younger players remain or become humble, see what Chhetri is doing and become hungry to do what he is doing. No other attacking player comes close to Chhetri. Even guys like Mandar Rao Desai would probably not make it there due to what I said above.
    reddevil87Deb_Banatuljg
  • DomnicDomnic 2309 Points
    Chettri is a great player but we have not seen him at his best in the ISL as yet. He is at the peak of his career now. From here its only going to be downhill for him.

He has scored 6 goals out of which only 1 is noteworthy. 3 were penalties and 2 were tap in's.
    That is if you just look at goals and not his overall ability of what he provides to Mumbai City. There is more to him than just the goalscoring stats.
    Deb_BanThe real AGkartik91arun
  • mohammed_87hassanmohammed_87hassan Sumeet Passin FC Jupiter10445 Points
    even Mendoza has many tap ins
  • The real AGThe real AG 3324 Points
    edited November 2015
    @Dominic - would you rather he missed all the tap-ins and easy goals to prove his greatness? He did what he had to do and scored them. Penalties are never easy either, and the tap-ins were possible because of his movement and positioning. He is an outstanding player and even at his age, the best Indian player by a country mile. 

If he keeps up this goal-scoring form, surely couple of teams from Europe could be interested in him? I mean at least initially on a 6-month loan until the end of the season if it is in certain areas of Europe. He has never been the fastest or the strongest, but uses his body well, and has good positioning, so age really shouldn't be an issue for a short term loan IMO.  
    deepakcarunreddevil87Deb_Bansilicon3
  • DomnicDomnic 2309 Points
    edited November 2015
    Who has denied the fact that he is a great player. Lol. :-t

Just that I have seen him put up better performances for Bengaluru. And with age catching up, a move abroad would not be feasible. He will still remain awesome for the Indian leagues.
    goalkeeparreddevil87
  • Seriously man sometimes I wonder if we had one central defender and one central midfielder in NT of same caliber of that of Sunil we would alteast qualify for Asia cup or worst better ranking than Malaysia or Afganistan.