Sunil Chhetri

Comments

• thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29625 Points

Congratulation !!

Indian National Team Captain Sunil Chhetri !!

Image may contain 5 people people smiling people standing

BrainFallINDIADeb_BandreamerNagendramunna219777Carbon_14mohammed_87hassanindian_goonerkartik91SOCCER4kland 5 others.
    https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/football/top-stories/my-age-and-experience-have-helped-me-grow-into-a-more-all-round-player-sunil-chhetri/articleshow/63778696.cms

Sunil Chhetri is the Benjamin Button of Indian football. The older he grows, the younger he looks and acts on a football pitch. Having guided Bengaluru FC to the Super Cup semifinal with a brilliant hat-trick against Neroca FC, the 33-year-old India striker reflects on his life, marriage and role in the club as well as national team in an exclusive interview with TOI on Sunday.
    Excerpts

Sunil Chhetri is not only a footballer, but a responsible husband now. Has your marriage with Sonam (daughter of Mohun Bagan legend Subrata Bhattacharya) changed life?
    I’ve married somebody who I knew for 14 years. So, I’m just living with a friend. All through my ups and downs in football, from winning the I-League to losing the ISL final, she has been a source of great support. Nothing has changed barring the fact that we can now spend more time with each other. She lives in Bengaluru with me. When I travel, she goes back to Kolkata. She juggles it perfectly.

Let’s talk about another marriage. The professional in you seems to have found a perfect match in the professionalism of Bengaluru FC (BFC), isn’t it?
    This has been one of the best signings of my life, with due respect to all clubs. Joining BFC five years back was one of the better decisions I have made in life. Right from our owner (Parth Jindal) to ball boys, there’s always a positive synergy all around. I’m very happy to be part of all this.

How have you evolved as a player over the years since joining Mohun Bagan in 2002?
    I’m no longer a striker now. When I signed up for BFC, then-coach Ashley Westwood wanted me to play on the left as an attacking midfielder. I was not sure initially but I believed in his vision. For the first six-seven games, I didn’t really know what I was doing. I was like a headless chicken. But he kept backing me. Eventually what he (Westwood) did was just wonderful and it helped me grow as a player. I started realizing the nuances of defending. I think I’m now a better defender and a better game-reader than five years ago. (Current BFC coach) Albert Roca has also added a few dimensions to my game. I’m not a winger as such, but am very happy to be a different player now. My age and experience have helped me grow into a more all-round player.

Has the thought of retirement crossed your mind yet?
    No way. The day I think I’m not enjoying the game and contributing the way I would like to, I’ll hang up my boots. It may happen tomorrow or five years from now, who knows! I’m the fastest and the fittest now. It’s a good thought that I’m in the 30s and people are still saying I’m contributing to the game. At this age, it’s very important to be around with people who push you, who don’t let you relax. Even now, I burst my lungs to beat Udanta Singh, who is the fastest in the team (BFC). In training, I try to score against Gurpreet (Sandhu), who is certainly the best goalkeeper now. That’s how your surrounding helps you grow and stay focused. I’m lucky to be around people who always try to win and challenge each other to be the best.

Any post-retirement plans like setting up an academy or a football school?
    It’s too early to say anything about this. I’m far away from dreaming about those days. I’m very much enjoying my game. I’ll cross the bridge when I come to it.
      Recommended By Colombia

With India due to play in next year’s Asian Cup, how do you see this journey as a player from 2011, when you played the tournament for the first time, till now?
      In 2011, we had a very stable team. Apart from me, Anwar (Ali), Mangi (Gouramangi Singh) and Subrata Paul, everyone else was already a pro. Bhaichung Bhutia, Sameer Naik, Mahesh Gawli and Rennedy Singh — they were all established pros, having played for the country for many years. But we are a younger and hungrier team now. Apart from myself, Paul and Jeje, the others are young and trying to establish themselves in the team. What’s important is that it’s a huge opportunity for all these young players. They must start working and focusing on the tournament right now. It must be top priority. It’s like the World Cup for us. If you want to see a steady growth of our country, you must play top teams regularly. This is how you will know where you stand in comparison to other top teams.

Do you have any regrets?
      There are a few, but nothing big. Like the loss to Chennaiyin FC in the ISL 4 final (last month). But I always believe that you are here to give your cent per cent. This is what is in your hands, the rest can take care of itself.

Finally, you always draw inspiration from sportspersons like Roger Federer and Usain Bolt. What lessons do you learn from them?
      There are many more like Leander Paes, Gianluigi Buffon, Javier Zanetti et al. The margin of success is so small that you have to be extremely disciplined. The older you get, the more disciplined you have to be. This is the lesson you take when you watch these athletes. Lot of players lose hope because of lack of motivation. These athletes give me hope as well as motivation to push the boundary further.

SUNIL CHHETRI’S PICKS

Top-5 world strikers
      1. Ronaldo (Brazilian)
      2. Thierry Henry
      3. Hernan Crespo
      4. Sergio Aguero
      5. Zlatan Ibrahimovic
      (“I have kept Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo out of the list because they are not strikers in the proper sense of the term”.)

Top-5 Indian strikers
      (I’ve played with)
      Bhaichung BhutiaI.M. VijayanAshim Biswas (in his prime)Jeje LalpekhluaRobin Singh
      indian_goonerspartakartik91
    • how come he played with IM vijayan. He retired for India in 2003. Sunil made his debut in 2005.
    • OMG Lord Robin in the same sentence as IM Vijayan, Jeje & Bhutia :D :D :D
      goalkeeparDXDeb_Ban
    • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29245 Points
      edited April 2018
      He forgot to mention the best striker ever to play for india.Sumit Passi
      shubham_northeasternshibierindian_goonerspartaashindiakartik91
    • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
      IM Vijayan was with East Bengal when Chhetri was there
      indian_goonerMikimunna219777
      Not really....I.M Vijayan played for East Bengal in two seasons...2001-2002 and 2005-2006
      Sunil Chhetri played for East Bengal in the 2008-2009 season

Goalkeepers- Hemanta Dora, Sangram Mukherjee, Shibram Dey, H.Sahabuddin and Sudip Sarkar.
      Backs- Suley Musah, Jackson Agyapong, Phalguni Dutta, Dipak Mondal, Ratan Singh, Ranjan Dey, Surya Bikash Chakravarty, Anit Ghosh and Satyabrata Bhowmick.
      Halfbacks – Tushar Rakshit, Dipankar Roy, Isiaka, Chandan Das, Swarup Chatterjee, Soumitra Chakravarty, Jo Paul Ancheri, Amit Das, Jiten Rai, Shankarlal Chakravarty and Ali Mayer.
      Forwards- I.M.Vijayan, Dipendu Biswas, Jose Carlos, Omolaja Olalekan, Bijen Singh, Srikanta Dutta, Lal Bhulaiya, Dipak Das and Kaustav Ghosh..
      Captain- Phalguni Dutta
      Coach- Manoranjan Bhattacharya and Subhas Bhowmick. 

Goalkeepers- Rajat Ghosh Dastidar, Naseem Akhtar, Abhra Mondal and Amar Deb.
      Backs- Covan Lawrence, Arun Malhotra, M.Suresh, Surya Bikash Chakravarty, Debabrata Roy, Habibur Rahman Mondal, Saumik Dey, Anupam Sarkar, Amandeep Singh, Guy Martial, Debkumar Sasmal, Gurpreet Singh, Nduti 
      Halfbacks – Dipankar Roy, Sashti Duley, S.Malswamtluanga, Debjit Ghosh, Jayanta Sen, K.Kulothungan, Ndem Kiyeck, Alvito D’Cunha, Jatin Singh Bisht, Bernards Pires, Chandan Das and Tushar Rakshit.
      Forwards- Baichung Bhutia, Mike Okoro, Sydney B Nakalanga, R.C.Prakash, Gauranga Dutta, Syed Rahim Nabi and I.M.Vijayan..
      Captain- Dipankar Roy
      Coach- Subhas Bhowmick and Phillipe deRidder. 

Goalkeepers- Subrata Pal, Abhra Mondal, Arnab Das Sharma and Avijit Ghosh.
      Backs- M.Suresh, Surkumar Singh, Poibang Poshnua, Suley Musah, Anupam Sarkar, Saheb Ali Mondal, Nirmal Chhetri, Khelemba Singh Meetei, Saumik Dey, Jeevan Singh and Saikat Saha Roy.
      Halfbacks – Syed Rahim Nabi, Mehtab Hossein, Mumtaj Akhtar, Sanju Pradhan, Gautam Kujur, Jayanta Sen, Mehrajuddin Wadoo, Alvito D”Cunha, Dharamjit Singh, Changte Malswamkima, Rennedy Singh and Dipankar Roy.
      Forwards- Sunil Chhetri, Parveen Kumar, Ashim Biswas, Yusif Yakubu, Ishmael Addo and Edmilson Marques.
      Captain- M.Suresh
      Coach- Manoranjan Bhattacharya, Stanley Rosario and Subhas Bhowmick. 

http://eastbengalfootballclub.com/team_archieves.php

Also, I think that Chhetri and Vijayan never played for the same club (correct me if I am wrong)...Chhetri played for Mohun Bagan from 2002 to 2005, for JCT from 2005 to 2008, and for EB from 2008 to 2009...Vijayan played for East Bengal from 2001-2002, for JCT from 2002 to 2004 and for East Bengal again from 2005 to 2006 (after which he retired)...Also as @indian_gooner said, Chhetri made his debut in the NT after Vijayan's retirement

But yes, they must have played against each a lot of times in the domestic circuit and I think he may have meant it in that broader sense

Carbon_14indian_goonermunna219777
    • Yes. Even i was thinking that both of them never played together but against each other.
    • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
      True. Misremembered when Chhetri was at East Bengal.
    • deepak dedhadeepak dedha Ghar2820 Points
      Chhetri could mean Played with or against.
      munna219777