Sunil Chhetri

Comments

• kartik91kartik91 Delhi1139 Points
    These are weird rankings .What is the criteria here?
    munna219777
  • Carbon_14Carbon_14 Bengaluru 4771 Points
    Some random weird logic!!! Just see Sunil's rank & be happy
    [Deleted User]munna219777Ratulindian_goonerharitrams24
  • RatulRatul Howrah1323 Points

Cristiano Ronaldo, Sunil Chhetri and Lionel Messi head goalscoring charts

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46785382

Carbon_14
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29626 Points

PRESIDENT OF INDIA APPROVES CONFERMENT OF PADMA SHRI AWARD TO SUNIL CHHETRI

NEW DELHI: A legend of Indian football and an Arjuna awardee (2011), Sunil Chhetri is all set to become the sixth Indian Footballer to be awarded with the Padma Shri – India’s fourth highest civilian award. 

The Award was announced for his contribution to the field of sports on Friday (January 25), etching his name in the history books along with former Padma Shri awardees – the Late Gostho Paul, the Late Sailen Manna, P.K Banerjee, Chuni Goswami and Bhaichung Bhutia.

Often leading from the front and parading a commanding presence around the opposition box, Chhetri in his career has won 3 Nehru Cups (2007, 2009, 2012), an AFC Challenge Cup (2012), and 2 SAFF Championships (2011, 2016). 

Performances for club and country has also led the Bengaluru FC forward to five AIFF Player of the Year Awards and he was recognized as an Asian icon by the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) on August 03, 2018. 

He also holds the record for the highest Indian goal scorer in International football with 67 goals and currently sits in second place behind Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo for the highest active goal scorers in International football. 

In fact, it was during India’s Asian Cup match against Thailand that he overtook Argentina’s Lionel Messi, who has 65 goals. 

Sunil’s attacking partner in his playing days and a legend of the sport himself, Bhaichung Bhutia said: “He has been one of the most-sincere and focussed footballers I have come across. I have seen him grow in front of my eyes for 15 years now and he has been a thorough professional all throughout.” 

“What he has accomplished is a result of the sheer hard work put in. He always knew what he wanted and that’s why he was able to evolve as a player.” 

Former India International Renedy Singh said: “Sunil sets the best example. He has done so well consistently over the past few years. He may not be growing younger, but most significantly, he’s not just there to support. He is there to lead by example.” 

With his club, Bengaluru FC, Sunil Chhetri has won 2 Hero I-League titles, 2 Federation Cups, a Super Cup, and also led the club to a historic AFC Cup final in 2016, where Chhetri and his men lost against Iraq’s Air Force Club in the final.

deepumunna219777

Indian football's stakeholders must look to sustain smaller clubs, says captain Sunil Chhetri

New Delhi: India's football captain Sunil Chhetri has thrown his weight behind smaller clubs plying their trade in the national domestic leagues. Speaking at an event hosted by Football Delhi in the capital on Friday, Chhetri, who is also the country's most-capped player, urged that the interests of such clubs must be taken into account by the decision-makers while planning the course of Indian football.
    File image of India captain Sunil Chhetri PTI

“Shillong Lajong is a brilliant example of a club which produces so many talents. It takes money, hard work to bring a club up, to make it run. I never wish that a club would shut down. I hope the stakeholders who are taking the decisions will take into account these clubs when it comes to making plans,” said Chhetri.

Further, he reaffirmed his stance on the need to alter the allocation of AFC Cup spots to Indian clubs. Last November, Chhetri, who captains Bengaluru FC in the Indian Super League (ISL), had posted a video on Twitter, advocated that the AFC spots be awarded to the league-stage winners instead of the eventual champions.

“I did it not because I am a Bengaluru player. I did it because I care about Indian football. You play 18 weeks to win the league, and the league winners should be rewarded,” Chhetri said.

“I think when you work hard as a team for 18 weeks, you deserve to be called the champions of India. The minimum that you deserve is an AFC slot. I’m not saying it because of what’s happening right now. But last two years, I’ve played for clubs that have won the league and eventually lost the trophy.

“The semi-finals are great for the fans, the atmosphere, everything is interesting and then they’re getting the ISL trophy. But I believe the AFC slot should go to the one who’ve worked so hard for 18 weeks because it’s not easy to be consistent for 18 weeks. I just hope that sooner or later, the rule changes,” Chhetri had said in the video.

India's highest goal-scorer also shed light on his discipline and dietary habits, and advised the budding footballers to never stop dreaming.

"We don't need a next Sunil Chhetri for Indian football to grow. We need players who are much much better than what I am, and we have enough talent in the country. In coming years, you will not be seeking a next Sunil Chhetri, you will get players miles better than me," he told the audience.

The 34-year-old, who began his career in Delhi with City FC and has also represented the capital in Santosh Trophy, also rued the lack of crowd support for the local Delhi Dynamos team in the ISL.

"When I used to play here, we had an amazing crowd and packed stadiums. People used to come in large numbers to watch the national team at the Ambedkar Stadium," he said before urging Football Delhi to find ways to draw more crowd.

"If you have any issues, sit together and talk. When you talk, ideas come up, and when ideas emerge, you are compelled to act. Every capital in the world has a sports culture and is the sporting hub of that country. Why can't it be the case with Delhi?" he said.

Earlier, Football Delhi president Shaji Prabhakaran honoured Chhetri with the inaugural 'Football Ratna' award. Last month, Prabhakaran had declared Chhetri's birthday - 3 August - as Delhi's Football Day.

https://www.firstpost.com/sports/indian-footballs-stakeholders-must-look-to-sustain-smaller-clubs-says-captain-sunil-chhetri-6098441.html

Sunil Chhetri is just a match away from being the most-capped Indian international.

India's talismanic striker who has 67 International goals - the highest-ever by an Indian footballer - is tied on 107 matches with his mentor Bhaichung Bhutia, and the 34-year-old has no plans to stop.

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/football/sunil-chhetri-appearances-record-bhaichung-bhutia-most-matches-india-football-team-kings-cup/article27401338.ece

kartik91munna219777Ronnysouravindia

Food is magic: Sunil Chhetri talks nutrition, cheat meals and samosas

With the rapid growth of football at the grassroots level, Sunil Chhetri feels there needs to be better awareness of aspects such as nutrition and rest.

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/football/sunil-chhetri-india-football-grassroots-international-goals-career-blue-tigers/article28733845.ece
    Nagendra
  • NagendraNagendra Rajahmundry, A.P6471 Points
    this is the reason I like Sunil Chhetri..

Spending quality time with budding footballers.
    haritrams24