Sunil Chhetri

1585960616264»

Comments

• thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India11923 PointsAmateur Footballer
    https://www.firstpost.com/sports/indian-football-team-captain-sunil-chhetri-to-be-recommended-for-padma-shri-according-to-aiff-sources-4452501.html

Indian football team captain Sunil Chhetri to be recommended for Padma Shri, according to AIFF sources

The All India Football Federation (AIFF) is set to recommend Sunil Chhetri for the country's fourth highest civilian award – the Padma Shri – a huge recognition for the nation's all-time leading goal-scorer should he get the honour.

Chhetri leads the India chart with 56 goals from 97 appearances and is one of the forwards with better strike rates in world football.

The AIFF said that it was considering recommending a top player for the honour without confirming the name, but sources close to the apex body said it was Chhetri, as the federation recognises the Indian captain's contribution to the sport.

"If there is one name in Indian football who deserves to be recommended for such a huge honour, it is undoubtedly Sunil Chhetri. The AIFF recognises Sunil's contribution and has already looking at the criteria," a well-placed source said.

When contacted, AIFF general secretary Kushal Das also said that the federation has recommended Jeje Lalpekhlua and Gurpreet Singh Sandhu's names for the Arjuna Awards.

Asked if Chhetri is being considered by the AIFF for the Padma Shri, Das did not confirm, but, in what seemed a giveaway, lavished rich praise on the 33-year-old star striker.

Padma awards are announced on the eve of Republic Day, 26 January, every year.

Last June, Chhetri became the fourth highest goal-scorer among active international players when he struck his 54th against the Kyrgyzstan, surpassing England's Wayne Rooney.

He was then behind USA's Clint Dempsey, Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi of Argentina.

The Bengaluru FC skipper, who began his career at Mohun Bagan in 2002 as a 17-year-old, is India's all-time highest goal-scorer in international fixtures. Besides, he is also the all-time highest goal-scorer in the domestic league among Indians.

Since then, he has played for 10 clubs across five states and three countries.

In 2010, he travelled to US, to play for Major League Soccer outfit Sporting Kansas City, but did not play a single match.

In October 2012, he made his debut for Portuguese second-division outfit Sporting CP B, though he would make just two more appearances for them.

munna219777deepak dedhadeepuindian_goonerCarbon_14reddevil87ashindiasparta
    http://indianexpress.com/article/sports/football/sunil-chhetris-century-a-dream-beyond-his-wildest-dreams-5202666/

Sunil Chhetri’s century: A dream beyond his wildest dreams

In the past 13 years, Sunil Chhetri has been the only constant in the lineup that has undergone rapid transformation.

Sunil Chhetri remembers a certain photograph, taken on a June evening in 2005. During breakfast in the morning, the national coach Sukhwinder Singh had announced that the then 20-year-old will be making his senior India debut later that day. Against Pakistan, at the Ayub Football Stadium in Quetta, Pakistan, Chhetri lined-up with the Indian national team for the first time. And a few minutes into the match he opened the scoring.

“I was so happy that I forgot we were playing in Pakistan because I went near the stands and started celebrating in front of the Pakistani fans,” he recalls. “There’s a very sad photograph where I’m doing this in front of the fans, and nobody on the team followed me.”

That was where the journey had begun for the captain. Since then the celebrations have grown less dramatic as the stats for goals scored have increased, he’s now the country’s highest goal-scorer with 59. But on Monday when Chhetri leads the Indian team against Kenya in their second match of the Intercontinental Cup in Mumbai, almost 13 years since that night in Quetta, the 33-year-old will don the Indian colours for a 100th time. The milestone will make him only the second player after former skipper Baichung Bhutia to do so.

“I had a dream (to play for the national team),” he says. “But I never dreamt of playing 100 internationals. Honestly, I never think much about milestones, but it was only when I was having a chat with my mother the other night that she became a bit emotional. How big this was for her made me realise how big the occasion is.”

Chhettri, the constant

In the past 13 years the captain has been the only constant in the lineup that has undergone rapid transformation in the past few years. Prior to the 2018 World Cup qualifiers that began in 2015, the Indian team went through a transitional phase that saw the likes of Gouramangi Singh, Renedy Singh, Bhutia himself – the elder guard – making way for a new generation of players.

And as the national team under Stephen Constantine has begun preparation for the Asian Cup next January, the squad in Mumbai consists of 11 Under-23 players. Through one of those players though, 22-year-old Manvir Singh, Chhetri explains how the generational gap first hit him.

The captain recalls his decision to sit and chat with the shy youngster when he first joined camp. In that conversation, Manvir asked Chhetri if he remembered playing against Punjab Police during his time at JCT Mills. “I told him that I did, and he replied, ‘mere Papa bhi khelte the aapke against,’” he says. “I was like, ‘mujhe boldiya hai, kisi aur ko bolna mat.’ Because of that I generally hate playing with the younger guys.”

Despite the younger, fresher players coming up in the squad, it’s still in the veteran that the team finds its leader. The work ethic is clear, and the responsibility of guiding the young team through thick situations during the qualifiers is incomparable – he scored four times on the way to India topping the Asian Cup third round qualifiers including winners against Myanmar and the Kyrgyz Republic.

And it’s through his own dedication to the sport that he hopes to inspire his young teammates. “I have understood that lectures don’t work,” he says. “Instead, I try to do it for myself so that the boys can follow. It gives me immense joy that Jeje (Lalpekhlua) who started in front of my eyes just the other day is now two games short of 50 International matches. The effort to improve yourself is the hallmark of the squad.”

The captain himself has been working on improving for the past 13 years. A day ago he posted a video on social media pleading the public to attend matches the national team plays in. A total of 2569 made their way to the Mumbai Football Arena to watch Chhetri bag a hat-trick in the 5-0 win over Chinese Taipei – his third international hat-trick.

In India, the fanfare that follows a century is unparalleled, albeit in a different sport. But Chhetri has steadily been approaching that number. On Monday, he will become India’s second centurion.

indian_goonermunna219777
  • indian_goonerindian_gooner 1438 PointsU19 International
    ‘mere Papa bhi khelte the aapke against :p epic
    munna219777
  • 7negi7negi India10286 PointsAmateur Footballer
    Watch the Indian Captain, Leader and Legend Sunil Chhetri talk about his career as a footballer and his ultimate joyous and difficult moments throughout his journey in football as he will play his 100th international match against Kenya at the Mumbai Football Arena

munna219777
  • munna219777munna219777 15356 PointsAmateur Footballer
    With 61 international goals, Sunil Chhetri is one goal behind Ibrahimovic and Ronaldo (brazil) tally of 62 goals. Only two currently playing footballers Cristiano Ronaldo (81)  and Messi (64) are ahead of him.All time high is of Ali Daei (iran) with 109 goals which looks impossible for any footballer to reach.

indian_gooner
  • indian_goonerindian_gooner 1438 PointsU19 International
    Messi I'm coming for you
    Deb_Banashindiamunna219777
    https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/football/story/comparisons-with-lionel-messi-cristiano-ronaldo-unfair-sunil-chhetri-1255883-2018-06-09

Comparisons with Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo unfair: Sunil Chhetri

A hat-trick in the Intercontinental Cup final will get Sunil Chhetri past Lionel Messi and to No.2 in the all time leading international goal scorers list amongst active players.

Chhetri said he is "living a dream" and added that he is a big fan of both Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.

It's worth noting that the Indian football captain's 62 goals have come at a strike rate of 0.62 goals per match, which gets him in the all time top 10 strike rate category.

Indian football's man of the moment spoke at length in an interview to India Today about his famous emotional appeal to fans, India's Intercontinental Cup showing and future challenges for the Indian national football team.

https://www.theweek.in/news/sports/2018/06/11/Sunil-Chhetri-Making-a-difference-to-Indian-football.html

Sunil Chhetri: Making a difference to Indian football

India’s football captain is determined to take the sport to a different level