Other Sports

Comments

• thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29628 Points
    Great! Indian badminton on the right track.
  • shibiershibier 2996 Points
    How much is the price money for Srikanth ??
    What happened to Korean team lately ?? They were once real threat to India in every tournament. Intact they dominated us for  some years. All of a sudden they become minnows in hockey. 
    thebeautifulgamemunna219777Carbon_14
    @Bad want to hear from you about our performance today. It is better than watching highlights  :D
    munna219777Bad
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    edited October 2017
    @shibier.  It is all about focus. In 1986 and 1988, Seoul hosted Asian Games and Olympics. So South Korea prepared their teams in different Olympic majors like Hockey. Then they massively improved in Football in time for 2002 world cup. Now their money is on training athletes for 2018 winter Olympics which they are hosting. Hockey is just neglected now. Kids train for ice hockey now in that country -all corporates of Korea put their money in winter Olympics. 
    RonnyCarbon_14Nagendrashibierashindia
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    @shibier

The Result was much closer than the match.We were the better team and the result should ideally have been 4-1.We played a good match.We were the better team and deserved to win hands down.We controlled the match.However,we were wasteful in the 3rd quarter attack wise.We should have atleast scored 2 more goals.4-1 should have been an ideal result.

We were under the pump for 5 min in the last quarter,which is expected from he opponent team but our our Defence was compact,organised and was never realistically threatened.

We were more than good value for the win.

Tournament Analysis:-

This win makes sure that we qualify for the World Cup 2018 on merit and not just by being the host as Winner of Asia Cup guarantees a spot at the World Cup.

souravindiashibierNagendramunna219777Carbon_14kartik91
  • Just a question- how does China qualify to World Cup?
    @souravindia exactly the same question I was about to ask. Can someone explain about China's qualification.
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    edited October 2017
    Now,coming to our squad Analysis:-

OUR DEFENCE-Both Our Goal Keepers were very good.Not even a single goal which we conceded was due to their fault. Both of them played well.

Our Defenders,as a whole did well in this tournament but in my opinion, we lack quality centre backs.

Both the youngsters(Varun and Dipsan) need time atleast 2 years to be able to play in Major Tournaments for India.They are not yet ready for Senior Major Tournaments.Varun has good scoop distribution but needs to work on his gameplay and movement.Dipsan has good tackling but lacks Physicality and good scoop,a must in Todays"s Hockey.Time can be invested on them but they require atleast 2 years in my opinion to be stable players for Senior Hockey Team.

Amit Rohidas and Surender aren"t just good enough in my opinion.Both of them commit errors(passing and tackling),neither do they have the physicality to play at Centre back.Both of them don"t have Scoop or Ball carrying skills from Deep Defence which is a must in today"s Hockey which our Other Centre Backs like Harman,Rupinder  and Raghunath have.Scoop and Ball Carrying skills are essential specially when opponent team is playing high press.Both of them lack these skill.They don"t carry the aura of Defender like Jugraj,Raghunath etc.When these Centre backs moved forward,you were confident that they won"t loose the ball unlike Surender,Amit etc.We require atleast one World class Defender(Centre Back) for us to win a medal at major Tornaments alongside Rupinder.If Raghunath is their,then it is fine but he is has taken Retirement,then we need to either find or develop someone quickly before the next World Cup.If Raghunath has retired,then Harmanpreet should be groomed and Developed accordingly.Rest,i don"t see and Centre Back who could be developed in a year"s time.

OUR MIDFIELD:-

Our Midfield did well in this Tournament,With Sardara playing in the Defence.However, i feel that work needs to be done w.r.t to Holding the ball i.e ball possession when it comes to closing the Matches i.e to see out the time. eg)if we are a goal or two up,we should be able to see out the Time,just like how the Germans do or Belgians do.We,need to work on that aspect.

Manpreet,Chinglensana,Uthappa had a decent tournament in my opinion.Satbir shouldn"t be a National Team player in my opinion.Sumit,is okayish,needs to be worked on , atleast a year before he becomes a stable player.

OUR ATTACK:-

Our attackers are among the best in the World.Sunil,Akash,Raman,Nikkin(when fit) are very good.Lalit in this Tournament played well.He can certainly be tried in next tournaments.his game has improved from the last time i saw.
    However,GURJANT HAS BEEN THE FIND OF THE TOURNAMENT FOR ME.He,for me is a much better alternative then Mandeep.Gurjant"s speed,Vision,finishing,Physique,Ball carrying skills,ball distributing skills(are a level above Mandeep).Gurjant has a great link up play.Something,Mandeep Singh lacks.I always liked Gurjant more than Mandeep because with the way Modern Hockey is being played,a forward requires much more in his armoury than just  be a decent finisher(Only Attribute Mandeep has).So,Gurjant for me fits in to this Indian Team much better than Mandeep.

So,our attack has now got good depth with Sunil,Akash ,Raman,Nikkin,Talwinder,Lalit,Gurjant,Affan in the mix.

"Winning Asia Cup and Asian Champions trophy undefeated, with atleast 7-8 starting players missing in both our teams,shows our position and dominance at Asian level for sure.However,our next aim/goal should be consistently winning Medals at World Events from now."

The team did a great job in this Tournament as 6-8 of our First Team Players were missing.So,Its a decent achievement by our boys.However,World Cup 2018 and Olympics 2020 should be our prime targets in terms of winning Medals.Hockey World League Finals,this year will be a great test for us as to where exactly we stand and what approach we should follow for World Cup next year.It will be a great Tournament for us to evaluate where we stand in the World.

shakkeerKMCarbon_14archakRonnyashindiamunna219777kartik91namewtheldshankar