Other Sports

Comments

• deepudeepu Somaliya1621 Points
    Discus thrower , vikas gowda retired from athletics
    Carbon_14munna219777
  • shibiershibier 2996 Points
    PKL 2018: Monu Goyat surpasses Sunil Chhetri as costliest non-cricketer in professional sports leagues
    munna219777
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29633 Points
    https://www.hindustantimes.com/other-sports/sardar-singh-back-in-india-men-s-hockey-team-for-champions-trophy/story-4ejfrBBVJWgy9yRbd7vtqK.html

Sardar Singh back in India men’s hockey team for Champions Trophy

Sardar Singh, who wasn’t a part of the India men’s hockey team which had a disappointing outing at the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games, has returned to the squad for the Champions Trophy, beginning next month in Breda.

Former captain Sardar Singh was on Thursday brought back to bolster the Indian hockey team’s mid-field while Birendra Lakra was included to shore up the defence line-up for the upcoming Champions Trophy, beginning on June 23 in Breda, The Netherlands.

Hockey India announced the 18-man squad for the last edition of the prestigious event and made a lot of changes to the side, to be led by goalkeeper P R Sreejesh.

Sardar was not a part of the Indian team, which had a disappointing outing at the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games. He was expected to reclaim his place in the side after being included in the national training camp in Bengaluru.

Also making a comeback to the side is Lakra, who like Sardar, was not part of the CWG squad.

The selectors have dropped defenders Rupinder, Kothajit Singh and Gurinder Singh while Jaramanpreet Singh and Surendra Kumar were included.

Among the strikers, the axe fell on Lalit Upadhyay and Gurjant Singh as Ramandeep Singh earned his place back.

The selectors also replaced goalkeeper Suraj Karkera with Krishan Bahadur Pathak. Sreejesh, under whose captaincy India won a silver in the last edition, said the team is determined to do well.

India had lost the final to world number one Australia and it was their first podium finish at the event after 34 years.

“I think that was the closest we came to winning the gold and most importantly beating Australia. Though we had to settle for a second place, it was a memorable tournament. This time too, we want to make it a memorable one as it’s the last edition of the prestigious event,” said Sreejesh.

Chief coach Harendra Singh made it clear that the players have to do well to be in the reckoning for a place in the Asian Games squad.

“It is an extremely important tournament for the players to showcase their firepower as the team for the forthcoming Asian Games in Jakarta will be picked on the basis of performance at the Commonwealth Games and the Champions Trophy,” Singh said.

“While this team will be put to test against another Asian powerhouse Pakistan who we will face in the Asian Games, the Champions Trophy will provide the ideal platform to see where we stand against higher-ranked teams like Australia, Belgium, The Netherlands and Argentina in the lead up to the World Cup,” he added.

India will begin their campaign at the Champions Trophy against arch-rivals Pakistan on June 23.

Team -

Goalkeepers: Sreejesh Parattu Raveendran (C), Krishan Bahadur Pathak

Defenders: Harmanpreet Singh, Varun Kumar, Surender Kumar, Jarmanpreet Singh, Birendra Lakra and Amit Rohidas.

Midfielders: Manpreet Singh, Chinglensana Singh Kangujam (VC) Sardar Singh and Vivek Sagar Prasad.

Forwards: Sunil Sowmarpet Vitalacharya, Ramandeep Singh Mandeep Singh, Sumit Kumar (Jr.) Akashdeep Singh and Dilpreet Singh

Bad
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    I am extremely happy for Sumit Kumar(Jr.).Trust me guys,he is a Special Talent.So much so that I will not be surprised if he Get's Selected for the World Cup later this year.He has the Potential to cement his place in our team.

The Team certainly looks better than the Previous Team.

Thank God SUMIT and GURINDER HAVE BEEN DROPPED.

The Balance of the team looks much better,Still not the perfect team though.

I can digest the fact that they are trying to give exposure to 2-3 players who seem to be Dilpreet,Vivek Sagar and the new youngster(Jarmanpreet).

My biggest Concern is Rupinder not being the squad.We really need him in Defence.

This team will be more or less our Team for the World Cup with possibly:-

Rupinder(if fit)in place of Jarmanpreet in Defence.Even though i haven't seen Jarmanpreet play.But Rupinder if fit will definitely be in ouroWorld Cup Squad.ur Kothajit and Pradeep Mor should also have a look in the squad.

Uthappa in place of Vivek Sagar in Midfield.

In Attack,I Feel we will need a better player than Dilpreet.My option will be Nikki but it seems that he has fallen out of their plan.So,let's see what happens.

But 12-14 out of this team will definitely make our Team for World Cup.

So, a decent Squad has been selected.

They have included 2-3 Youngster to give exposure and that too one each in every Position.One in Defence,one in Mid and one in Attack.

This is the way it should be done.

ashindia
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    Bad News Guys
    "Sanjitha Chanu" has failed the Dope Test therefore she has been Suspended by Weightlifting Federation".
    munna219777ashindia
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    @Bad ; I get confused between two Sumit. This Sumit Kumar Jr. is not the one who played in Commonwealth Games but the one who was in Junior World Cup? or in some other tournament.
    rupinder Pal Singh has a long term injury or what?
    I am miffed with the inclusion of Vivek Saugor and absence of Harjeet Singh.

• goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29258 Points
    edited May 2018
    Sumit Passi is everywhere
    ashindia
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    @munna219777  ,

Sumit Kumar who has been selected(who i like as well) is the one who played in the Azlan Shah CUP 2018(as a Forward)

Also,Sumit Kumar(who was in 2016 Junior World cup team has not been selected plays in the midfield)

Also,Vivek Sagar is a better talent than Harjeet was at his age.So,Vivek will take less time to develop in comparison to Harjeet.Earlier,When Harjeet was not ready(i also highlighted) than he played for 3 years in the national setup.Now,when he was showing signs of improvement,then he is not selected.(Which means we wasted 3 years).But nevermind,as Harjeet woldn"t have developed as the World Class Player who we needed to Replace Sardar Singh with.

Vivek will also need time,he is not ready yet but he is better than Harjeet was at this age.  
    munna219777
  • deepudeepu Somaliya1621 Points
    Btw @Bad any news on hockey league will happen or not?
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    @deepu,

Most Likely it will start from 2019 and will continue thereon.