Other Sports

Comments

• munna219777munna219777 28505 Points

Volleyball IPL

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-sports/pvl-expected-to-give-the-sport-a-fillip/article24081569.ece

The first year will see six teams playing in two cities

Things are looking up in Indian volleyball after the Honourable Delhi High Court reportedly ruled in favour of S. Vasudevan as the president of the VFI in the elections held in April 2016 that removes the cloud over factional fights in the governing body.

The proposed Pro Volleyball League, co-owned by VFI and Baseline Ventures India Pvt. Ltd., is falling to place and is expected to take the sport to the next level.

Speaking to The Hindu on Monday, Baseline Ventures Tuhin Mishra co-owner was happy that everything is falling in place.

Mishra said, “we are confident the league will be successful because we have taken care to keep costs in control and have a roadmap planned.”

Mishra said the winner of the league will get to play in the Asian club championship and then progress to the World club championships which will give the teams something to look forward to.

The league that will start on September 15 will go for 23 days with 18 match days and the first year will see six teams playing in round-robin format before the semifinals and final. The base price for each franchise has been set at ₹3 crore.

“To ensure we keep costs in control, we will play in just two cities, Kochi in the south (first 10) and Jaipur (last eight, including the final) in the north.”

The league also plans to have a ₹75 lakh cap on player fees with a team allowed a maximum of 12 players — 10 Indians and two foreigners. While the Indians will be picked in an auction, there will be a draft system of foreigners.

goalkeeparspartaindian_gooner
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29633 Points
    http://indianexpress.com/article/sports/sport-others/vijender-singh-to-fight-british-lee-markham-for-3rd-title-5206742/

Vijender Singh to fight British Lee Markham for 3rd title

Indian boxing star Vijender Singh will be gunning for his third professional title when he takes on Briton Lee Markham for the Commonwealth Super Middleweight belt on July 13 in London. “I will be competing for my third title on July 13 against Lee. I am training for it right now. The fight will take place in York Hall, London,” the Indian, who is undefeated and holds the WBO Asia Pacific and Oriental titles, told PTI from his training base in Manchester.

The man he will be squaring off against has 22 fights, 17 of them wins, under his belt compared to the 10 victorious outings by the former Olympic bronze-medallist. The fight will be Vijender’s first in six months since he successfully defended his twin titles in the clash against Ghana’s Ernest Amuzu in Jaipur.

“I had been waiting for the right time and this title fight is just the step I need to take in my professional career. It is a vacant title so there is nobody defending it. The fight will be under WBO, like my other two titles,” added Vijender. Markham hasn’t competed since June last year when he lost to Joe Mullender in a clash for the English middleweight title.

The Commonwealth title is without a holder since January after reigning champion Rocky Fielding decided to vacate it in pursuit of the European belt in the same weight category. “There was talk of fighting Rocky earlier but that didn’t work out because he didn’t want to fight for this same belt. So, now it is Lee,” Vijender said.

Fielding would have been a formidable opponent for the Indian as he has lost only one fight in a total of 27 professional appearances. Vijender is continuing to work with his British trainer Lee Beard, who has been his guide ever since he took the professional plunge back in 2015.

Carbon_14
    http://indianexpress.com/article/sports/sport-others/official-apathy-robs-athletes-of-records-at-delhi-state-meet-5208762/

Official apathy ‘robs’ athletes of records at Delhi state meet

With the official time-keeper complaining of 'payment problems' and not turning up, the races were decided by stop-watch timings, not the most reliable or scientific method.

Last weekend when over 600 athletes reached the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium for the Delhi State Championships, they weren’t aware that their efforts wouldn’t count. The absence of a photo finish camera robbed them off an opportunity to get their timings officially registered. They knew that even if they broke a record, it wouldn’t make it to the books since it wouldn’t be rectified.

With the official time-keeper complaining of ‘payment problems’ and not turning up, the races were decided by stop-watch timings, not the most reliable or scientific method. An official working with the Athletics Federation of India confirmed to The Indian Express that Pankaj Bhalla, the official timekeeper of AFI, had not received his dues for last few events, including the previous edition of the Delhi State Championship.

“For how long will I do charity? I have to pay my staff. I had quoted a subsidised rate because I do it for the love of sports. But they have stopped paying that too,” Bhalla said. He went on to claim that he hadn’t got paid for the last four years with the dues amounting to lakhs of rupees.

The president of Delhi State Athletics Association Sunny Joshua said he wasn’t aware of any “payment dues” and agreed it was a huge setback for the athletes. “I am not aware about the payment issues. Sandeep Mehta (secretary of the state association) takes care of it. But even if there were payment dues, they should have come. They had promised us they would turn up but backed out at the last moment. Payment dues is just an excuse,” said

Meanwhile, the athletes feel cheated because of this vendor-official blame game. They complained about the lack of basic facilities at the tournament which was also the trials for this month’s Inter-State Meet at Guwahati. Interestingly, the performance at the Guwahati event will decide the Asian Games squad.

“I didn’t even give it my best because I knew handheld timings are not considered for any records. It’s at events like these that you get to know where your performance stands. We get hand clock timings at practice sessions itself. This is sorely disappointing,” said a winner of a sprinting event.

munna219777sparta
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    Great News Guys,

http://http//indianexpress.com/article/sports/sport-others/presidents-cup-nutlai-lalbiakkima-lands-knockout-punch-5210153/

22 yr Old Indian Boxer Nutlai Lalbiakkima Beats Reigning Olympics Gold Medalist (2016) and World Championship Silver Medalist(2017) Hasanboy Dusmatov to reach the 49kg semifinals of the President’s Cup Tournament in Astana, Kazakhstan, on Friday.
    kartik91munna219777thebeautifulgameCarbon_14spartasouravindiaindian_gooner
  • kartik91kartik91 Delhi1139 Points
    Wow! Great news indeed

Nutlai Lalbiakkima settles for bronze in President’s Cup

Indian boxer Nutlai Lalbiakkima (49kg), who upstaged Olympic champion Hasanboy Dusmatov in the quarterfinals, settled for a bronze medal.

Indian boxer Nutlai Lalbiakkima (49kg), who upstaged Olympic champion Hasanboy Dusmatov in the quarterfinals, settled for a bronze medal along with two others after a semifinal loss in the President’s Cup in Astana, Kazakhstan today.

The 22-year-old Lalbiakkima lost to local favourite Erzhan Zhomart to bow out in the semifinal stage.

“For us, the bout belonged to Lalbiakkima. He turned in another exceptional performance but unfortunately this time, he ended on the losing side,” coach Jai Singh Patil, who is travelling with the team, told PTI.

Also ending with bronze medals were former world youth champion Sachin Siwach (52kg) and Priyanka in the women’s draw.

Sachin lost to Filipino Rogen Ladon in his semifinal clash.

“The competition in this tournament is world class. The draws were big and featured A teams of countries like the USA and Uzbekistan. We can be proud of our our performance so far,” Patil said.

http://indianexpress.com/article/sports/sport-others/nutlai-lalbiakkima-settles-for-bronze-in-presidents-cup-5211042/

Carbon_14munna219777sparta
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    Tejaswin Shankar skipped trials in India citing injury. Also skipped Asian games. But here performing in NCAA !!!
    shibiersparta
  • usaindiausaindia 1671 Points
    performing because they might have mentioned not to renew his scholarship for next year
    munna219777