Blackburn Rovers Influence on Indian Football

Arsenalkid700Arsenalkid700 7 Points
Blackburn Rovers plan to set up football academy in Nagpur

NAGPUR: The picture of India's football arena, in general, and Nagpur's, in particular, has always been dominated by the street heroes - players who have learnt the nitty-gritties of the game themselves. The twice-an-year football fever in the city, too, is quite a timely affair when Nagpur Premier League or NDFA Super League are in full sail. That, too, has been dominated by foreign recruits as the local ones have always been more of a miss than a hit.

Amidst all the hullaballoo, the thought of harboring city's young talent has taken a back seat. Thankfully for the city lads, Blackburn Rovers Junior League for the Under-12 players is reprieving the budding ones - Spotting new and 'bold' talent playing the beautiful game and harnessing them for the future. The initiative taken by Blackburn Rovers in association with School Sports Programme comes in as a breathe of fresh air.

Just one month after the commencement of this four-month first season, Shebby Singh, head of football development in Asia, is more than happy with the talent they have sniffed in the city. "These kids are quite flashy when on field I must say. Nagpur has a core and rich talent. I am happy with the progress. We actually are looking for such bold budding kids. Plans are also underway to set up a Blackburn Rovers Academy in Nagpur," said Singh, while talking to TOI during his recent visit to the city.

The U-12 inter-school league at present comprises 12 city schools with the matches happening every Saturday. The league, which is based on a format similar to that of Premier Leagues in Europe, promises to get bigger and better.

"We plan to spend about Rs 1,200 per player per season. We have a proper team at place which will spot the talented kids for further grooming which will happen in Pune. From the selected lads, we'll further raise the bar and pick up a group of boys who'll be trained at Blackburn Academy in England," revealed Singh.

The one-and-a-half-year programme promises to churn out a rich haul of talent by July 2013. "The first season is underway at six different cities at present including Delhi and Pune. We vow to start the second season in more than 20 cities of India," he added.

Presently, Saint Francis De Sale (SFS) High School are topping the charts with 10 points in as many matches while Anjuman are following them closely with nine points.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now that Blackburn Rovers and Venkeys have started there League and soon Academy I am waiting for the announcement of them starting the football team "Nagpur Rovers FC". Seriously. Have a club called Nagpur Rovers FC, play at the Yashwant Stadium where you are almost certain to gain fans. Also with the ownership being owners of Nagpur and Blackburn Rovers there is a chance of player swaps. For example once a Blackburn Rovers player gets to old they could send him here. Also with the Academy you got some youth coming in as well.

Comments

• All good for Indian football, but what about venky's survival in BPL?? If it gets relegated this year, I fear the worst. Huge loss for Venky, which might hamper this project too!!! Hope they are saved from relegation and we get the benefit in the long term. Also, I am sure Venky's are trying hard to bring 1st India player onto BPL scene. This would be double benefit, Venky would be able to grab the local market better and on the other hand, football popularity would increase many fold.
    But all this hypothesis, depends on Vneky's survival this season.
  • All good for Indian football, but what about venky's survival in BPL?? If it gets relegated this year, I fear the worst. Huge loss for Venky, which might hamper this project too!!! Hope they are saved from relegation and we get the benefit in the long term. Also, I am sure Venky's are trying hard to bring 1st India player onto BPL scene. This would be double benefit, Venky would be able to grab the local market better and on the other hand, football popularity would increase many fold.
    But all this hypothesis, depends on Vneky's survival this season.

Venkeys are looking long term in my opinion. That is why they WILL be relegated but they will come back the next season automatically. I honestly want there fans to calm down.
  • silicon3silicon3 351 Points
    reddevil87 wrote:
    All good for Indian football, but what about venky's survival in BPL?? If it gets relegated this year, I fear the worst. Huge loss for Venky, which might hamper this project too!!! Hope they are saved from relegation and we get the benefit in the long term. Also, I am sure Venky's are trying hard to bring 1st India player onto BPL scene. This would be double benefit, Venky would be able to grab the local market better and on the other hand, football popularity would increase many fold.
    But all this hypothesis, depends on Venky's 's survival this season.

<br><br>Well ... with 2 more games remaining Blackburn one of d original founders of the EPL seem destined to go down..why so may we ask?..i think Venky's never really understood what it takes to run a Premier League football club, they though the club can be run like any other business, they sacked a coack and promised millions without really understanding the nitty gritty of running the club..They were actually hoping that the glow from the Premier league club status would run on to the group and grow their busines..it was a means to grow their business and run the club like just another company.. from a mid table finish last EPL to the relagation zone in now , it doesnot bode well.<br><br>If relegated we can say bye bye to any benefit to indian football from black burn rovers..i would expect that they would sell of d club and wash their hands of this mess they have dragged themselves in.<br><br>Perhaps a lesson for our Aspiring industrialist that if you are truly passionate about the " beautiful game"  then buy and run the club.<br><br>
  • reddevil87reddevil87 1858 Points
    silicon3 wrote:
    reddevil87 wrote:
    All good for Indian football, but what about venky's survival in BPL?? If it gets relegated this year, I fear the worst. Huge loss for Venky, which might hamper this project too!!! Hope they are saved from relegation and we get the benefit in the long term. Also, I am sure Venky's are trying hard to bring 1st India player onto BPL scene. This would be double benefit, Venky would be able to grab the local market better and on the other hand, football popularity would increase many fold.
    But all this hypothesis, depends on Venky's 's survival this season.

<br><br>Well ... with 2 more games remaining Blackburn one of d original founders of the EPL seem destined to go down..why so may we ask?..i think Venky's never really understood what it takes to run a Premier League football club, they though the club can be run like any other business, they sacked a coack and promised millions without really understanding the nitty gritty of running the club..They were actually hoping that the glow from the Premier league club status would run on to the group and grow their busines..it was a means to grow their business and run the club like just another company.. from a mid table finish last EPL to the relagation zone in now , it doesnot bode well.<br><br>If relegated we can say bye bye to any benefit to indian football from black burn rovers..i would expect that they would sell of d club and wash their hands of this mess they have dragged themselves in.<br><br>Perhaps a lesson for our Aspiring industrialist that if you are truly passionate about the " beautiful game"  then buy and run the club.<br><br>

<br><div><br></div><div>Rightly said mate!!!</div>
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points
    Indian owners are anyway getting all the negative publicity...look at all the Indian connections!!!!<div><br></div><div>Racing Santader will relegate</div><div>Rovers almost relegated</div><div>QPR (has some stake from lakshmi mittal) also fighting relegation</div><div><br></div><div>In fact Racing Santander condition is even worse, seems like the indian owner (actually not a indian citizen anymore, thankfully) has made false promises etc, did nothing for the club</div>
  • silicon3silicon3 351 Points
    rudra wrote:
    Indian owners are anyway getting all the negative publicity...look at all the Indian connections!!!!
    <DIV><BR></DIV>
    <DIV>Racing Santader will relegate</DIV>
    <DIV>Rovers almost relegated</DIV>
    <DIV>QPR (has some stake from lakshmi mittal) also fighting relegation</DIV>
    <DIV><BR></DIV>
    <DIV>In fact Racing Santander condition is even worse, seems like the indian owner (actually not a indian citizen anymore, thankfully) has made false promises etc, did nothing for the club</DIV>
    <P>
    </P>
    <P> </P>
    <P>Firstly as indians, we have no true sports culture mentality , we dont really believe in fitness and health.. i dont consider cricket a sport with potbellied fielders and batsmen... there are a few industrialists in india who have the passion for sports, but taking on a club outside india and running it is beyond doubt only for a industrialist with deep pockets and who has a true undetstanding of the game and its economics. Racing Santador owner is appartley a con man while Our Venky' s thought their chickens would grow by acquiring blackburn rowers, its now that they see they have recieved a egg on their face!!!</P>
  • namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    Aruncito wrote:
    @arsenalfan was right .. every time there's a good thread here someone makes an article on it ... <br>http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/136/india/2012/05/02/3072025/and-you-blame-the-venkys-indian-owned-racing-santanders<br>;

<br><div>I swear! We have made these poor fellows' life easier :)</div>
  • AruncitoAruncito 4 Points
    NO karma points for them :P !!<br>
  • namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    They are accruing negative Karma lol