Naturalized Players

Abhik09Abhik09 0 Points
edited March 2012 in Indian Football Players
Almost every Asian countries are using naturalized players to boost their chances in International Competitions...so why not India....It seems India is suffering from lack of good strikers ...so players like Ranty Martins, Okolie Odafa can be real asset to our national team...it may temporarily fix our problems....

Comments

• namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    You got a point there. Football popularity in India will only increase if the national team does well. So, to strengthen the national team, you are suggesting naturalization of players like Odafa Okolie and Ranty Martins.

But there are a couple of problems:

1. Indian constitution doesn't allow naturalization for a foreigner unless you have some parental connection, even if your forefathers in known history were Indians, probably that will do but not the likes of Odafa Okolie who are evidently, well, not Indians. So AIFF can do nothing there.

2. Even if the constitution is amended, for argument's sake, and the team does a little better, I don't think it will improve drastically. Remeber Odafa et al are 2nd/3rd string players of their nation.

3. Even if the team does reasonably well, Indians would not feel attatched to it given our high emotional quotient. So we will never be able to accept a team full of Nigerians as Indian team and hence no support. So the purpose is defeated.

I, however, am for inclusion of the PIOs (Person of Indian Origin). India has promised that it might allow dual citizenship for NRIs in near future. So let's hope for that. If we include the good names in world football who are PIOs, we will do reasonably well
  • namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    edited March 2012
  • i don't support this theory.hell noooo
  • Abhik09Abhik09 0 Points
    somesh wrote:
    You got a point there. Football popularity in India will only increase if the national team does well. So, to strengthen the national team, you are suggesting naturalization of players like Odafa Okolie and Ranty Martins.

But there are a couple of problems:

1. Indian constitution doesn't allow naturalization for a foreigner unless you have some parental connection, even if your forefathers in known history were Indians, probably that will do but not the likes of Odafa Okolie who are evidently, well, not Indians. So AIFF can do nothing there.

2. Even if the constitution is amended, for argument's sake, and the team does a little better, I don't think it will improve drastically. Remeber Odafa et al are 2nd/3rd string players of their nation.

3. Even if the team does reasonably well, Indians would not feel attatched to it given our high emotional quotient. So we will never be able to accept a team full of Nigerians as Indian team and hence no support. So the purpose is defeated.

I, however, am for inclusion of the PIOs (Person of Indian Origin). India has promised that it might allow dual citizenship for NRIs in near future. So let's hope for that. If we include the good names in world football who are PIOs, we will do reasonably well

I guess 1st point is invalid as we can see Jamshed Nassiri is a Naturalized Indian now...
    .... and I m also in favour of PIO's inclusion...
    i don't support this theory.hell noooo

Seeing the situation of our national team, I don't think that's a bad idea...is it?
  • Who is more Indian? A Nigerian that has lived and worked in India for more than half his life, speaks Hindi, can talk knowledgeably about Indian movies, music and politics or someone who had two Indian grandparents but has never ever been to India?

In any case, naturalization is permitted under Indian law, all it takes is 12 years of stay in India. Ranty and Odafa would qualify. If they chose to take it up, they would then be allowed to compete for a spot on the team. The fact that they're not on the team now means they're not interested in giving up their Nigerian passports. Same reason Michael Chopra will never play for India.

I support providing dual citizenship for at least VIPs (sports persons, writers, scientists, etc) even if not for aam junta. If the US can claim Nobel laureates Hargobind Khurana, Chandrashekar or Venkatraman as theirs, why can't we claim Cheema Okorie as ours?

I think we need to have all options on the table as we strive to improve our football. Focus on grassroots efforts to improve footballing standards across the board, and get quality players into the team, but also focus on improving the team now to get more kids to start playing the game. I want a) the next Virat Kohli to want to play football instead of cricket and b) his father to have really good academies near by to train him up. Dual citizenship allows 'a' to happen.
  • sabirsabir 46 Points
    If we have naturalised chair person for our oldest and the largest political party then why not in our team. Should we arrange marraige for Odafe with an Indian girl? :D
  • Not required. If he gives up hope of playing for Nigeria, he could probably apply for an Indian passport in the next year or two.
  • We should go with the flow. Let Odafe decide if he wants to play for India. Right now for me I dont think Odafe would do well for India. There is doing well in I-League and doing well Internationally.

Ranty Martins might work but really against lower AFC nations but higher than India like the UAE or Qatar, this is based off how they did in the Asian Club football adventures. Martins was close to top scorer in 2011 I believe (or maybe 2008, to lazy to check).

Anyway I dont think overall that naturalized players will help. We can bring the Indian Origon player rule back but that is it. Look at Sunil Chhetri, when he was main striker at Prayag United and fully rested he dominated. Now he is at Mohun Bagan, not the main striker, and he is tired. You try going through that travel schedule he had the last 3 years. Lets see, Goa to USA, Kansas City to Colorado, Colorado back to Kansas City, Kansas City to Boston, Boston to Kansas City, Kansas City to India, India to Abu Dhabi, India to a few places for AFC Asian Cup 2011 training, that to Qatar, Qatar to Kolkata, Kolkata to many I-League opponents, that to UAE, UAE to Delhi, Delhi to Kolkata, Kolkata to Delhi, Delhi to Barbados, Barbados to Guyana, Guyana to Trinidad, Trinidad to Kolkata, Kolkata to Pune, Pune to Kolkata, Kolkata to I-League, I-League to Delhi, Delhi to Kolkata, I-League, I-League to Delhi, Delhi to UAE, UAE to Nepal, Nepal to Kolkata.

That is such a huge travel schedule for Sunil and I am sure if over the summer he is rested and joins a team that makes him the only striker he can do amazing things for us.

Same for guys like Jeje, Manandeep etc. Both of them are great being great strikers but like Savio said, the foreigners are holding them back and Nigerians to Indians would only make us look worse.
    Jeje is a promising striker but did you see the misses? his finishing is like 3/10, if he doesn't work on it,he will be like Anil Gurung( Overrated Striker but Bad Finisher).......And My point here is that if naturalized strikers get us the results, then there will be more fan following....and interest in football would increase,Hence: The next Virat Kohli would play football and not cricket!!! :)>-