PIO (Player of Indian Origin) Thread

Comments

• rudrarudra 2958 Points

> munna21977 said:
    > There are exceptions in cricket. Robin Singh is from Trinidad yet he played for India. In 1989 he was not having Indian passport but Trinidad passport.

We are just too strict nowadays.

Robin Singh played for India in 1989? I thought he was around in 90s

• JoyptanJoyptan 295 Points

@Ashlesh because those african africans are better than indian africans.

• > rudra said:
    > > munna21977 said:
    > > There are exceptions in cricket. Robin Singh is from Trinidad yet he played for India. In 1989 he was not having Indian passport but Trinidad passport.

> >

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/64342.html

• rudrarudra 2958 Points

> munna21977 said:
    > > rudra said:
    > > > munna21977 said:
    > > > There are exceptions in cricket. Robin Singh is from Trinidad yet he played for India. In 1989 he was not having Indian passport but Trinidad passport.

> > > >

>
    >

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/64342.html

Thanks. but I guess he got Indian passport when he next played for India?
  • Yeah later on he got but in 1989 he represented India with trinidad passport.
    I think Prakash and Stephen Amritraj were in Indian Team for Davis cup few years back with American Passport.
    I beleive there fathers (Vijay and Anand) had American Passport in 1987 when they last played for India.
    Again it was not a strict rule in those days.

The rule actualy came in effect few years ago that only only indian passport holders can represent india in any field.

edited January 2013

Read this and also read the comments posted by probably not related to sports readers/viewers

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/only-indian-citizens-can-represent-india-in-sports/403240/0

• > rudra said:
    > well, if a foreign national had Indian passport, then I don't see why they should not be included...because Indian passport is not easy to get so one earns it by staying here etc. For example someone like Arata has been here, can understand the locals, can talk/partially talk in local language etc.... for me that's more Indian than some trying to be Indian because there grandparents/parents were once Indians

So what? You have something against us? How are we not "as Indian". Do we have to adopt the full ass lifestyle of an Indian living in India?
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points

> Arsenalkid700 said:
    >
    > rudra said:
    > > well, if a foreign national had Indian passport, then I don't see why they should not be included...because Indian passport is not easy to get so one earns it by staying here etc. For example someone like Arata has been here, can understand the locals, can talk/partially talk in local language etc.... for me that's more Indian than some trying to be Indian because there grandparents/parents were once Indians
    >
    >

So what? You have something against us? How are we not "as Indian". Do we have to adopt the full ass lifestyle of an Indian living in India?

Instead of going into a social debate in a sports forum, my stance is simple. A NRI can or cannot feel like an India, its a case by case thing, can't generalise. Their need to be a criteria  for someone who represents the country, the nation, the people. Many people who just want to opportunistically connect to India because of ancestry don't deserve to wear the colours. So, govt. has a simple rule, you can come to this side if you leave the other passport. Its for the person to decide that. The person still has a opportunity to represent that nation if he is good enough. 
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points

Also something important I need to point out..the issue of playing for county as an Indian is a political issue because every country is a political entity. Social stance is a different think...People of Indian origin in abroad can still be socially Indians, but legally they are citizens (tax payers, voters, beneficiary) of that country...this doesnt make them non-Indians but politically they are part of different country.

People of Pakistan, Bangladesh, India were part of same country, share very similar cultures (sometimes they connect more with each other than other parts of the same country)...so socially they are quite close, but they differ (or even hate each other) due to political reasons. So, its better if we can think about the two kinds of connection (political and social) with a country.

In the above debate, its not a social issue but a political issue. So, don't take they view in a social context. I always find it nice to find Indians (and other south asians) abroad.