PIO (Player of Indian Origin) Thread

Comments

• Shah476Shah476 240 Points

Wow few interesting points but kinda disappointed with rudras views but i guess u can call thats patriotism..

As far as fifa rules go the furthest back u can go i grandfather being born in that country if to go via origin route.. so i dont see trinidad, surinam or fiji citizens as eligible for india unless they r only 3rd gen at least. Under that im eligible for india n pretty much all the overseas guys we have at pkn coz their grandparents were born wen it was india.
    I have even joked around with netan getting him for pkn as his grandad was born on this side of punjab. Would love to have him but i know the challenges attached with that.

Not sure who gives rudra or others to declare overseas indians or pakistanis as lesser indians or pakistanis...

As for it having negative impact on indian sport well it could have that... or could be positive for short n medium term while india works on developing talent to that standard. It will be provide competition to players locally...

• rudrarudra 2958 Points

> Shah476 said:

Not sure who gives rudra or others to declare overseas indians or pakistanis as lesser indians or pakistanis... 

Please go through my last comment (the one above)...I myself stay abroad :)
  • Shah476Shah476 240 Points

I saw that after i had posted this...

But ive had this from various pkni football fans too...

• rudrarudra 2958 Points
    edited January 2013

> Shah476 said:
    > I saw that after i had posted this...
    >
    > But ive had this from various pkni football fans too...

yes hardly surprising...this one of the arguments in this debate...but as I said before its very complicated, very difficult to debate for one side and I do understand the advantages of the system too...but my support is bit more towards our government's stance..however, I support this for countries who are in turmoil etc. But for me India is too big and diverse not to produce home grown sportsmen and women...however, our olympic medal tally is increasing and in past one year I have met many sports promoting agencies/NGOs to belive  things are improving, although rather slowly
  • Arsenalkid700Arsenalkid700 7 Points
    edited January 2013

Just to get this out of the way I see what both of you mean. Shah I relate to that because on many boards, even here sometimes, I am accused of not "actually being Indian" and all that when really I probably understand more Hindi than say Arata (if that is his preferred Indian based language).

I dont like that. And I bet other foreign based users don't either because the reason we are on here is so we can express ourselves or identify ourselves as "Indians (or South Asians) who love Indian football". That is it.

@Rudra I take back my initial post/personal attack directed at your direction. It was just the way it was worded and also my mood at the time that got the better of me.
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points

> Arsenalkid700 said:
    >
    Just to get this out of the way I see what both of you mean. Shah I relate to that because on many boards, even here sometimes, I am accused of not "actually being Indian" and all that when really I probably understand more Hindi than say Arata (if that is his preferred Indian based language).

A huge no. of Indians don't actually understand, read, write, speak hindi... they are no less Indians either.. Hindi is not the official language, although its much easy if people understand it
  • Passport is a very delicate issue. Indian constitution do not allow dual citizenship-thats why once you have India Passport, you need to give up your other country passport.
    A person can live in USA on Green Card whole year yet represent India at all levels. One can live in Dubai but still represent India. Its only citizenship or passport which matters.
    Arata gave up his Japan passport. 
    By the way, a person can be a citizen of Nepal and serve in Indian Army. But he cant represent India in Sports.

• > rudra said:
    >
    > Arsenalkid700 said:
    > >

A huge no. of Indians don't actually understand, read, write, speak hindi... they are no less Indians either.. Hindi is not the official language, although its much easy if people understand it

Weird because I only understand it and know how to speak it and read it yet I can't not write it. Actually if you put something in Hindi in front of me I may get it but not fully.
  • > munna21977 said:
    > Passport is a very delicate issue. Indian constitution do not allow dual citizenship-thats why once you have India Passport, you need to give up your other country passport.
    A person can live in USA on Green Card whole year yet represent India at all levels. One can live in Dubai but still represent India. Its only citizenship or passport which matters.
    Arata gave up his Japan passport. 
    By the way, a person can be a citizen of Nepal and serve in Indian Army. But he cant represent India in Sports.

Its funny because in MLS we have a foreigner rule. The set number is 8 for each roster of 30 (however you can get more if you trade for another clubs foreign slots... my Red Bulls have around 13-14 if I remember right). Anyway some players in MLS are born in say Ghana like Robbie Russel but in MLS he is counted as an American and not a foreigner because he has a green card. He does not need an American passport to count as an American in MLS. Chhetri could as well if it worked out and I bet that would have helped his cause.
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points

> munna21977 said:
    >  

Well,normal protocol says they can join if they have intention of permannently settling in India. For sportsmen also govt is not even asking them to settle here, just asking to leave the other passport and take India's.
    We are taking the whole thing wrongly, India not saying that a PIO cant join, saying that you need to sacrifice the other nationality. If the person cant do then they dont cross the hurdle