2012 Federation Cup

Comments

• usaindiausaindia 1671 Points

> sanvedjadhav said:
    > > somesh said:
    > > Good...they are a great team anyway. On a second thought, I wud not mind east bengal in Fed Cup. Salgaocar didnt do any better in afc cup
    >
    >

i STRONGLY DISAGREE...... in this yrs AFC cup group stage......east bengal scored 0 points ,losing ALL 6 of their games while salgaocar managed 4 points winning and drawing 1 match......EB have repeatedly brought shame to the nation....in 2010 too they had lost all 6 games....they r not at all serious about AFC cup.....BUT SADLY ,they r gonna represent us again.....
    :((

thats the reason i didnt want any kolkata sides in AFC Cup
    since i have been following indian football none of them did any good
  • Thats because they care about the bloody Calcutta Football League. Why cant they just give there reserves the CFL games and let the big players play in the AFC Cup. Dempo will push themselves and make us proud while Salgaocar would have done good as well.

BETS: East Bengal--- 0 points. 0-0-5 (They forfeit the last 1)
  • Guys, can we get photos on theses games on the forum.

• gaffertapegaffertape 13021 Points

> gaffertape said:
    > 26/9/2012 : 1st semi final: RANCHI 

Winner  A vs Winner D

SILIGURI

27/9/2012 : 2nd Semi-final 
    Winner C vs Winner B

30th Sept FINALS  

my predictions:
    Group A: Dempo
    Group D: Pune FC
    Group B: Qualifier
    Group C: East Bengal

Dempo vs East Bengal finals , with Dempo winning the cup  

;))

I guess , I can now say , I told you so.....
    This never happens when I put money on something though :)
  • East benal might not have played too well in AFC cup in recent times, but it is a team which hs repeatedly brought pride to India against quality International opponents..please see the history of this club against outside teams and you will realise..Saying they have repeatedly brought shame to this country means that you have only recently learnt to support Indian football...I am a Bagan supporter throughout my life and yet I know that East Bengal has been a matter of pride for our country especially against foreign teams...please do not put such derrogatory comments...Yes I agree you can say--'east bengal in recent forms havent been able to play well in AFC cup so I wish Salaocar would play'---

• We respect what they did in the past and what they did was not easy but still, in recent history it kind of sucks that they are back in it. We all know what they will do. They will put the I-League, CFL and IFA Shield over the AFC Cup for pride reasons or whatever. Salgaocar or Churchill are also not perfect but better than East Bengal, thats for sure.

• Lets see and hope they remember their past and bring glory to Indian football..they have done it in the past and I am pretty sure they will do it again..and yes success in AFC cup has only been through Dempo, Salgaoncar might have won an odd match but otherwise there is nothing to be proud about their performance-albeit i can say in recent times they have been better than East Bengal...
    But i sincerely hope for the sake of Indian football, not one or two but any club that qualifies for the AFC cup should bring back honours and we support them...
    Further. I am also not a fan of clubs being selected on the basis of a 'FRINGE' 2 weeks tournament to play in AFC cup..I feel its better to give this chance to first and second team in I league...anyway that is for AIFF to ponder..

• gaffertapegaffertape 13021 Points

Agree with Sourav that the runner-up in the Fed Cup should not get a spot in the AFC cup , as could happen this year and happened last year.
    The runners up in the I_league deserve this , and it makes the push for 2nd place more interesting at the end of the season if the title is already won.

Having watched Salgaocar last season in the AFC CUp, given it was their 1st foray , the lads did very well and the benefits have been seen in individuals like Gilbert & Francis and a few other juniors who really matured ( Salgaocar hardly used any foreigners in those AFC matches)

As for East Bengal, Trevor wanted to give the AFC a good shot and prepared well for it with a pre-season type tournament in SE Asia but alas the babus that run that club insisted on a 'strong' performance in the IFA Shield , and with CFL games still pending as well as I-League, plus forcing him to use fat Edmilson , didn't help his cause.

Given the relative strength & exposure of Indian players, expecting great results in AFC Cup is silly in the short term. Maybe in a few years time we will bridge this gap. Just because the I-League pays more doesn't make it better quality players....(EPL ring a bell...)

• @Ashless..Didn say about Dempo..Know they have been the best performers for India in AFCS cup reaching even the semifinals :-)..But East Bengal too had reached the quarter finals of afc cup if anyone remembers and that too not long ago...So for me till date Thumbs up to Dempo(for reachig semi finals) and east bengal for reaching quarters...this was when SUbhas Bhoumick was coach of east bengal

• East Bengal hold Geylang, romp into AFC Cup quarter-final may 2004

<div>
                    <table width="550" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" align="center">
                        <tbody><tr><td style="background-color:#ffffff; height:10px;"><br></td></tr>
                        <tr><td style="background-color:#cccccc; height:1px;"><br></td></tr>
                       <tr><td style="background-color:#ffffff; height:10px;"><br></td></tr> 
                </tbody></table>
                </div>

Kolkata, May 5 (PTI) Formidable East Bengal survived an 

early jolt to hold Singapore's Geylang United 1-1 and romp into the
    quarterfinal of the Asian Football Confederation Cup here today.

The city giants, who required one point from the group 'E' encounter to move to the next round, began in style and dictated terms in the major part of the game, but had to remain contended with a draw, mainly due to misses galore by its dreaded upfronters.

The red and gold brigade were taken aback by a sudden reverse in the 32nd minute when Geyland's British import Daniel Hill scored against the run of the play to give the visitors a 1-0 lead.

Hill, who was put in the midfield as against his usual position in the defence, slotted home unmarked after getting a minus from Aleksander Duric from left.

Trailing by a goal till the breather, East Bengal scaled up their attack as the match wore on and finally drew level in the 77th minute. Nigerian Mike Okoro, lurking inside the rival box, latched on to a Sur Kumar pass from right and promptly netted in, hardly giving any time to two rival defenders to react.

The tame draw, however, ensured a quarterfinal berth for East Bengal as also keeping up similar hopes for the Singapore club.

With a clean slate and 13 points from five matches so far, East Bengal would now take on Malaysian Negeri Sembiland in their last group league engagement on May 18.

"Bringing Past Story to Light"-----------