2012 Durand Cup

Comments

• Arsenalkid700Arsenalkid700 7 Points
    edited August 2012

Durand Cup will be a success even sans sponsor: Organiers 

NEW DELHI: The third oldest football tournament in Asia, the Durand Cup might have suffered a rude setback after one of its main sponsors backed out, but the organisers, the Defence Services said that they will leave no stone unturned to make the event a grand success. 

• We now know who the 12 teams are for the Quarter-Finals of the 2012 Durand Cup being held in New Delhi:

I-League (5): Pune FC, Air India FC, Pailan Arrows, Sporting Goa, ONGC

I-League 2nd Division (2): HAL SC, SESA Goa

Non I-League (1): Dodsal FC + 3 Qualifier teams.
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points

> Arsenalkid700 said:
    > Durand Cup will be a success even sans sponsor: Organiers 
    >

LOL!!!!! hahahaha

I think a grand total of 1000 people in India know the tournament is happening, out of which 500 people will know the winner, 250 people will know the results, 100 will actually keep track :P

• > rudra said:
    > > Arsenalkid700 said:
    > >
    Durand Cup will be a success even sans sponsor: Organiers 
    > >

LOL!!!!! hahahaha

I think a grand total of 1000 people in India know the tournament is happening, out of which 500 people will know the winner, 250 people will know the results, 100 will actually keep track :P

>
    >

I think he meant in terms of the recourses they have. I mean look at the teams. None of them are crowd pullers. Look at the I-League teams, Pune, Air India, Pailan, Sporting and ONGC wont bring you crowds in New Delhi. The Durand organizers lost out on potential crowd pullers in United Sikkim, Shillong Lajong, East Bengal, Mohun Bagan and Mohammedan. They have no money for advertising. No telecast. Nothing. They are not even affiliated with AIFF.

Something needs to happen. This can not go on. Durand can not run a major football tournament in India forever. They need to negotiate with AIFF and IMG (If they even can) and sell them the rights to the tournament so AIFF can include it in the calendar. Revamp the tournament and maybe merge it with the Federation Cup. Have the Durand Cup turn into the FA Vase of India (Top STATE teams in India face each other) and the top 2 teams initially qualify for the Federation Cup so the Fed Cup can have 16 teams every year and thus a real National Cup. Something like that.
  • namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points

Durand Cup finally finds a sponsor! Anglian Holdings, who are the stakeholders in Shillong Lajong are sponsoring it.

The owners said that they were shocked to know that the Oldest of Asia and 3rd Oldest of World tournaments is struggling. Their decision was emotional one rather than commercial they said. In future, they will more closely associate with Durand and will look to improve the profile of the tournament
  • > somesh said:
    > Durand Cup finally finds a sponsor! Anglian Holdings, who are the stakeholders in Shillong Lajong are sponsoring it.

The owners said that they were shocked to know that the Oldest of Asia and 3rd Oldest of World tournaments is struggling. Their decision was emotional one rather than commercial they said. In future, they will more closely associate with Durand and will look to improve the profile of the tournament

source? And if true, WOW! Hopefully this is the start of something big.
  • Arsenalkid700 said:
    > somesh said:
    > Durand Cup finally finds a sponsor! Anglian Holdings, who are the stakeholders in Shillong Lajong are sponsoring it.

source? And if true, WOW! Hopefully this is the start of something big.

http://www.business-standard.com/generalnews/news/welcome-relief-for-durand-cup-getssponsor/46421/

• rudrarudra 2958 Points

Apparently 'injured' Jeje made it to Pune FC squad for Durand!!! :)

• Arsenalkid700Arsenalkid700 7 Points
    edited August 2012

> rudra said:
    > Apparently 'injured' Jeje made it to Pune FC squad for Durand!!! :)

Like said in the Nehru Cup thread. Jeje was probably not injured (as seen from him being selected into the Final group of players). I bet the injury just lowed his skill down and now he needs time with his club team to slowly get back to where he was (examples: Aaron Ramsey) and the Durand Cup is perfect for him. Pune play Army Red and SESA FA, that should be easy for Pune (who are automatic favorites) and Jeje.

BTW Rudra your HAL Bangalore declined to play. Apparently they dont have enough players but dont the relegated team(s) play in the Fed Cup as well???
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points

no updates on HAL, after the I-League, I hardly go to stadium unless some thing like national camp happens