SAFF Championship 2013 Semi Final, India vs Maldives Live Discussions

1282930313234»

Comments

• preetampreetam 870 Points
    <p class="leading" style="font-size: 1.4em; font-family: RobotoMedium, Arial, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, sans-serif; margin: 0.6em 0px; color: rgb(8, 31, 44); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">The experienced coach praised the central midfield duo of Mehtab and Lenny as India face the Afghan challenge in the final...</p><p style="color: rgb(8, 31, 44); font-family: Arial, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">Subhash Bhowmick, who in his capacity of a technical director won the I-League last term with Churchill Brothers, heaped praise on India’s much improved performance in their 1-0 semi-final win over Maldives at the SAFF Championship.</p><p style="color: rgb(8, 31, 44); font-family: Arial, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">"The performance has been much better. This is an improved outfit," he told <strong>Goal</strong>.<br><br>The Blue Tigers had faced widespread criticism for their pale display in the group stages, where they could grab the  bragging rights only once, that too courtesy of an own goal scored by the opponent. The team however, looked much charged up against the Ali Ashfaq-led Maldives side.</p><p style="color: rgb(8, 31, 44); font-family: Arial, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">Bhowmick though, sounded disillusioned on the hype generated by the Maldives talisman Ali Ashfaq who is arguably considered as the best player in the South Asian region.<br><br>"Yes, he had scored 10 goals in 2 matches. I have not seen those entire matches and going by the media reports, I seriously considered him as a big threat for the Indian defense. But look at the way he played! Let alone being a prolific goalscorer, he is not even a team man. Also the team is not impressive. Ali Ashfaq is a single individual. He can't make differences all by himself," the former East Bengal coach remarked.<br><br>After being critical of Wim Koevermans’ selection in the past, Bhowmick praised the Dutchman as India booked their place in the final.</p><p style="color: rgb(8, 31, 44); font-family: Arial, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">"He (Koevermans) has made a couple of good decisions. This was one of the better matches," he told.<br><br>The Bengal coach also supported the exclusion of left-back Nalappan Mohanraj from the first team pointing it as one of the "good decisions." He however, refused to single out a player in particular for their notable performance against Maldives.</p><p style="color: rgb(8, 31, 44); font-family: Arial, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">"A number of players were superb on the pitch. Mehtab (Hossain) and Lenny (Rodrigues) were very good in the middle of the pitch. Arata (Izumi) was also brilliant before he got injured. It was a team effort and it will be unfair to pick someone as the best," he opined.<br><br>Ashfaq was booked for a dive by referee Adham Makhadmeh, a decision which was contentious according to the Maldives’ contingent. At the end of the game, a fracas ensued between the match officials and the Maldives’ players.</p><p style="color: rgb(8, 31, 44); font-family: Arial, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">"I saw the match on television. It was not fully clear whether it was a dive or there was some contact. But to me, it certainly looked like a dive. I don't know why he feigned that way, given he could have easily scored from that position without diving and claiming for a penalty," Bhowmick remarked.<br><br>Afghanistan are keen on seeking a ‘revenge’ against India for their defeat in the 2011 edition of the tournament. Bhowmick cautioned India and mentioned that the Lions of Khorasan would be a tougher battle for them to overcome than what they faced in the semi-final.</p><p style="color: rgb(8, 31, 44); font-family: Arial, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">"Afghanistan will certainly be a tougher opponent than Maldives. I can't say who is the favourite, but I will certainly like to wish our boys best of luck for the final," he signed off.</p>
  • DXDX 4074 Points
    My match rating ;)

Wim - A make or break match this. After a string of poor performances, Needed some boost. Hats off to him to stick with the same formation despite calling for a change. Also man enough to understand that we need more time to adapt to the possession based game. Direct play gives us results. Love the aggression shown by him on all pre match interviews as well as india's play against Maldives.
    Formation - 4-2-3-1

Subrata - Spidey does it again when it matters. Best keeper in india colours and kept india in the game. Really comforts that he is in goal. Apart from the Failed punch(Which he should have caught) and the nervy moments when he charged ashfaq and failed to get the ball, He was simply faultless - 8

Nabi - Leader on the pitch, Worlds better than mohanraj and excellent when bombing up front. Defended pretty well although put quite a few long balls than what was necessary-7

Arnab - Lot more consistent than his previous matches. Kept the shape of the back four well which was where he was at fault on other matches, Probably bcos nabi was playing he could concentrate on his zone more which clearly showed
    Got the winner too and a good strike as well. Will give him a boost to keep the jersey at the back four a little longer - 8

Gourmangi - I rate this guy as the best CB in the team. Saved a couple of times with last minuite tackles, Solid at the back and a good Yellow card taken for the team when asfaq was almost through. Quality is there to see when he has the ball at the back, doesnt panic - 8

Nirmal - Decent game, Willing to push upfront and support, One dangerous cross, Tidy at the back except the horrible backpass which could have spelt trouble - 6

Lenny - Supported Mehtab well to add to the physicality. Kept the pressure up in the midfield battle. Nothing to add upfront - 6

Mehtab - Really got ashfaq to look for support by marking him tightly. Decent setpieces which india could not take advantage of. Yellow carded for a challenge that he really shouldnt have done. Big miss for India in the final. 7

Francis - Spirited, Always is looking to find space. However needs to work on his crossing. On more occasions that once he beat the LB but couldnt put a telling cross when he was under no pressure. 6

Arata - Kept the pressure up, CAM position is a problem area for Wim bcos of the lack of quality options. Jury still out if arata can play CAM but still better than Jewel/Alwyn in that position. Hope he is ok for the final after falling badly - 6

Jeje - Best performance so far. Doesnt still convince me as good enough but still the best option on the LAM position. The main thing i liked is the confidence that he had to shoot when he has a sight. That confidence is what i want him. Having Nabi at the back really helped
    him to push upfront as well - 7

Robin - Inconsistent, Loses 90% of the ariel balls put to him, But the only physical option upfront for WIm. Played his role perfectly in the last 10 mins compared to the remaining 80 mins. Should make it to the final to bring the physical side to play - 7

ONWARD TO THE FINAL, KEEP THE CUP HOME BOYS!!!
  • JoyptanJoyptan 295 Points
    look at what nabi says

Some translation from Bengali to English - "Ashfaq was talking too much, football gets played in ground, not in words"
  • samiamsamiam 1614 Points
    Joyptan wrote: »
    According to Maldives website, it is referee who attacked maldives coach.<br><br>http://www.maldivesoccer.com/s/Referee-attacks-Urbanyi-5172<br>;

The need some MILO, Nutritious Refreshment 0896590f97f967aec9432569beba0f93.gif

<br><br>WTF milo isnt sold in india anymore<br>
  • samiamsamiam 1614 Points
    why no one commented on my breaking news post?<br> :-((
  • JoyptanJoyptan 295 Points
    @samiam Milo is for those Mal'dive'ans.
  • wekaweka Alabama, United States245 Points
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Goal.com gave Subrata Pal a 2.5 star and don't even mention that one diving save (or any) that hit the woodwork after his touch. If it wasn't for him, India would probably be sent home right now.</font>
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    weka wrote: »
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Goal.com gave Subrata Pal a 2.5 star and don't even mention that one diving save (or any) that hit the woodwork after his touch. If it wasn't for him, India would probably be sent home right now.</font>

<br><div><br></div><div>Agree. That was easily the best game I have seen him play since the Asian Cup in 2011. He was acrobatic, did not lose the ball, barely paired, and his distribution was not bad as well.</div><div><br></div><div>Hopefully this can be a confidence booster for him. </div>