Indian Super League 2015

Comments

• Platt is a disgrace..Rotating players from the first day..no strategy..always in a vacation mood
    goalkeepar
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    @atuljg Seriously? Well, Bradley Wright-Phillips was a failure when he came to the US and Michael Higdon was crap when he went to the Netherlands.

Maybe Indians don't perform outside India, I hope all foreign teams understand this and eliminate Indian involvement at any level in football.
    BrainFallINDIAindianFootballFanatuljgdeepakcAshishKaulgoalkeepargaffertapeSoham_Despartareddevil87and 1 other.
  • The real AGThe real AG 3324 Points
    edited November 2015
    "Perform" is the wrong word; "settle" more the right word. Brits struggle outside their country and seldom make any serious effort to move unless necessity forces them to. A serious complaint against Brits in general when they have moved abroad is that they make no serious efforts to get involved with the local culture, players and don't adjust like say the other Europeans, and are looking for the first opportunity back home. But then again, if you don't settle, you will struggle to perform.
    atuljgBrainFallINDIADeb_Bankartik91
    You made that point in another thread and I am not sure if I agree. Looking at the English like that is easy, especially when so many examples can be found in English media whereas other nationalities are in different languages and it's harder to make the same conclusion. Also harder because, yes, I will admit, there are plenty of Spaniards etc who go abroad and seem to enjoy it but honestly, and you should know this as well from wikipedia, the Spaniards usually eventually end up either back in Spain or in a Spanish speaking country. The French will do the same. Brazilians will eventually end up back in Brazil or Portugal. The English do the same and then eventually go back to England or they will go to Scotland, Ireland, the United States, Australia etc. and flourish cause the culture shock is less.

The English are not adverse at all to going abroad and learning new cultures, a lot of English culture is about going abroad, whether for work or holiday or what have you. In football, we see plenty of English or British players/coaches in the lower levels like India or South East Asia or Australia, the US etc but the glaring area where they are unrepresented is at the top levels, so like Germany, Italy, Spain etc and that is more down to price of players, salaries, and also there ability. That is it.  I also assume and know there are extra incentives that sometimes keeps them in England over abroad.

It is slowly changing with yes, some current players going for desperate reasons... Ashley Cole wanted to stay at a "high level" but also get payed well... Roma. Ravel Morrison needed to leave to Lazio it was. Same with Micah Richards and Tom Ince. Michael Mancienne went abroad and did well in Germany but now is in the Championship.

And going back to culture... we do have Nathaniel Chalobah
  • The real AGThe real AG 3324 Points
    edited November 2015
    How did it work out for Morrison, Richards and the examples I gave in the other thread? The views that Englishmen don't settle well and find it hard adjusting to other cultures, particularly the ones who have had everything handed to them on a plate growing up, is not my opinion as such, but more the general consensus throughout Europe. And this is a very real reason why teams in Spain, Portugal, France, Germany, Netherlands and Italy don't bring in English players. 

You are right in the sense that is changing and more players are now venturing out (Eric Dier and Bale as examples). I don't want to use the lower leagues as an example as they move their because they don't have a choice and clubs in England don't want them. Over the past 25-30 years or so, there are very few who have gone abroad, settled, and done well. The Brits like their holidays, make no mistake about that, but they don't want to stay anywhere for too long. You mentioned Beckham in the other thread, but he has massive marketability and that is where he got the chances. Already we hear about Gerrard wanting to come back to Liverpool, Lampard struggling, Cole moving for the money, Barton pissing off everyone in France, Morrison, Richards struggling etc.
    atuljgdeepakcreddevil87DXkartik91
  • Soham_DeSoham_De Kolkata1673 Points
    Wat can rodrigo arroz bring to the table now??
  • Pune city considered to be fierce title challengers, now find themselves under immense pressure to perform in the remaining 2 matches.
    Rotation policy of Platt seems to be backfired.
    Gerrard might move back cause he has literally been crap. He likes it in the US but his style of play does not suit LA Galaxy at all. Lampard struggled cause he came in very late, no DP has ever come into MLS mid-season and dominated straight away other than maybe Drogba.

Also, lets not forget the man that is Matt Jones in Portugal. Joey Barton pissing people off in France? He pissed everyone off in England to but he still went and played for a decent French club while the best he can do now is Burnley. There are currently many players at English clubs on loan who go abroad for a season, just look at Chelsea, and so far they are doing fine. Its true, it is hard to adjust and also adjust to a new style of football which will always be different in Continental Europe than in England.
  • Gerrard and MLS stuff O:-)
    Was it worth posting in this thread.
    I guess we should need a separate thread to describe performance of overseas players in MLS