Commonwealth Games 2018 : Mission Gold at Gold Coast

Comments

• thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29637 Points
    In terms of total medals, it is India's third-best showing ever and just the second time they have finished in third place or above in the medals tally!

http://www.timesnownews.com/sports/commonwealth-games-2018-cwg/article/commonwealth-games-2018-live-day-11-live-streaming-saina-nehwal-pv-sindhu-kidambi-srikanth-in-action/217454
    munna219777
  • Carbon_14Carbon_14 Bengaluru 4771 Points
    Funny coincidence:

India's medal tally is approx 1/3rd of Australia's :) 

(if we divide Australia's medal count & convert to integers... It's India's medal tally)
    munna219777
  • BadBad 5141 Points
     @Rav92 , I agree with most of the names,who you have put on the list.I"ll Add or Subtract just couple of names and will add a Potential Medal Contender because Olympics are still 2 years away.

Boxing:Potential Contenders(No certainity in Boxing and Shooting.Anybody"s game i feel)

1) Gaurav Solanki (True fighter, bit look like Thomas Muller, all he needs to work on his strength)
    2) Naman Tanwar( All he needs to work on his defense)
    3)Manish Kaushik(Was a certain Gold Medal Winner,lost out due to partiality in my opinion)
    4)Amit(Strong Fighter,complete Boxer)
    5)Gaurav Bidhuri(World Championship Bronze Medallist)
    6)Vikas Krishnan(Rio Quarter Finals,Asian Games Bronze Medallist)

I am not saying that all of them will win but anyone of them can win(I hope it Makes Sense,what i am trying to convey).

Wrestling:

1) Vignesh Phogat ( world class wrestler)
    2) Bajrang ( again world class wrestler)
    3)Sushil Kumar(If he decides to Compete,he certainly will be a Medal Contender)
    4)Pooja Dhanda(Not a Finished Product yet,but has the capability to win Win Medal provided she works on her game.Can"t rule her completely out of the reckoning).She is 8 out of 10 in terms of Strength,Speed,Skill.Game Awareness,Tactics etc.If She can increase to 9 out of 10 across all attributes then surely she would be a medal Contender.

Weightlifting:

1) Mirabai Chanu( world class)
    2)Sanjitha Chanu(Outside chance currently,Needs to improve and be more consistent in lifting those total).Currently,not in the Obvious choices for a Medal but isn"t completely out of the reckoning.She has 2 years to improve which i feel can be done.

Badminton:

Srikant/Prannoy & P V Sindhu/Saina, 

Mens Doubles[Satwiksairaj and Chirag Shetty] (Both are Young and therefore very inconsistent,Theya re too hit and miss in my opinion.Need to work on their Consistency)

Mixed Doubles(Satwik and Ashwini,cant discount them.The can beat anybody on their day.They are inconsistent though)

Shooting:(We have good Shooters but Way Too Unpredictable,Anybody on a particular day can Win it)

Athletics:

1) Neeraj Chopra ( Excellent talent absolutely world class,will need to throw around 88-90m consistently.Currently,He is Throwing around 86m consitently.He will Need to improve preferably around 90m but certainly around 88m mark.)

Table Tennis:

1) Manika Batra(Potential Star,Lets see how she progresses over the Next Couple of years)

Gymastics:

1)Dipa Karmarkar(Enough Said)

Tennis:

Mixed Doubles(If Sania and Rohan Play Together,then there may be an outside chance)

Hockey:

Mens"s hockey,I feel our Team can challenge for a Medal at 2020 Olympics.2018 World Cup seems to me to be a bit early for our Team to win a medal.

Archery:

Both our Men"s and Women"s Archery Teams have choked time and again but still you can"t discount them.They have an outside Chance because luck,wind etc plays a huge part.So,no one can be completely certain.

So,these our my Choices in Terms of Names/Sports/Events were we can Win a Medal in terms of 2020 Olympics.
    thebeautifulgameCarbon_14[Deleted User]munna219777Rav92
  • karenesudhakar2050karenesudhakar2050 Hyderabad 1504 Points
    Bad in place of naman tanwar sumit sangwan will comes in to team he is miles better then naman . He is not in the team because of injury
    deepak dedha
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    edited April 2018
    Regarding The Dismal Hockey performance,i"ll keep it simple and to the the Point.

Poor Selection(If you analyse closely 8-10 of our junior World Cup Squad were selected and couple who are even younger then them).With these set of players you shouldn"t be Expecting to Beat Teams likes Australia,England(We were lucky once),Newzeland.

Varun,Harman,Gurinder,Sumit,Gurjant,Mandeep,Suraj(Gk) were all part of our Junior World Cup Winning Squad.

Also,Vivek Sagar and Dilpreet are even younger than them.Sub Junior Core.(Playing their First Major Tournament).

There is a huge Difference between Junior and Senior Level.Just ask the U-20 Footballers.How,many of them our playing for their clubs regularly.Same is with Hockey.You shouldn"t be expecting that you"ll  Beat Australia with You"re Junior and Sub Junior Core(8-10 players out of 16).

So,With this squad i personally feel we have over achieved by making it to the Semi-Finals.

Another,Major reason for this Dismal Performance was Lack of Senior/Important Players turning up for This Tournament(Akashdeep,Chinglensana,Kothajit and Lalit were Non-Existent).Manpreet was also very inconsistent.Happens when you change 6-8 Players in Every Tournament.No,Consistency because you are not used to your Teammates Potential(You are not sure of you"re Runs,Positioning etc).

Our Left Flank was non-existent throughout the Tournament and guess what who was playing their(Gurinder as Left back and Vivek as Left Midfield.

S.V SUNIL WAS OUR PLAYER OF THE TOURNAMENT FOR ME(ONE MAN SHOW).
    karenesudhakar2050munna219777ashindiasparta
  • karenesudhakar2050karenesudhakar2050 Hyderabad 1504 Points
    edited April 2018
    Bad another thing is after oltman is sacked this players are not using there brains.under marjine players are  hitting the ball hard inside the circle 

Badmunna219777
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    edited April 2018
    You are Correct Karenesudhakar.

This happens when you're players lack Ball Carrying Capacity.The Aussie's,English,Kiwis etc won't let 18 year Old Kids to Carry the ball and Dominate them.

However,I"ll still say that if our Best Team is Picked or atleast 14 out of 16 players who deserve are Picked then at Asian Level(Asian Games,Asia Cup etc) we should win all our Matches by a Margin of 2-3 Goals.

This team was way underpar as I had stated before The Common Wealth Games.
    munna219777ashindiashibiersparta
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    We should not compare the number of medals won from one commonwealth games to other. Events / Disciplines are different in each commonwealth games. Some events favour India, some dont. Sometimes GrecoRoman Wrestling, Tennis events are included where India wins more medals. In the past, there were separate medals for Snatch  and Clean & Jerk. In those games, it was like Diwali for our Weightlifters. We will see a slide in next Commonwealth games of 2022 as Shooting will not be there- one of our most prolific medal giving event.
    shibierCarbon_14Bad
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    Most promising thing this time was the performance of young athletes. When we were due to host 2010 Commonwealth Games, lot of money was spent on training of ahthletes. 2008 to 2012 was a good time for Indian sports. After that, there was a dip in performance across various disciplines.
    This 2018 Commonwealth Games should be seen as start of new young Indian sportsmen who will bring laurels to country in next 4 to 6 years. Athletics, Boxing,  weightlifting, Badminton, Table Tennis, Shooting, Wrestling - hoping for a good medal haul in coming Asian Games.  All the Best Youngistaan  !!!
    shibierCarbon_14Bad