Transfers for season 2011-12

Comments

• rudrarudra 2958 Points
    East Bengal signed Edmilson
    wasnt edmilson signed a new contract with royal wahingdoh just couple of weeks back???
    how come the contract is so easily broken??

If you have followed Edmilson over the years, you will know what kind of character is he ? In fact he was suspended and dropped from the East Bengal squad for manhandling and physically abusing Saumik De. The last few years in wilderness and having to play for lesser known clubs has taught him the lesson which was long due. India is not Brazil and the facilities and focus you get from playing in top clubs, more so the Kolkata giants is unimaginable in lesser known clubs, including office clubs like Air India, HAL in the I league. Even successful clubs like Dempo, Churchill Brothers had very limited stadium attendance until 2010. Only from last year am I seeing some moderate turnout in Goa. Seventy Eighty thousand people easily show up for Kolkata derby which has seen record turnouts in world footballing history, no wonder the Ten Action commentators, Morrison, Burridge, Palmer et al called it ONE OF THE BEST DERBIES IN THE WORLD in terms of frenzy and excitement, off course not in terms of football skill. Maharashtra in spite of encouraging youth development in satellite towns has not been able to attract the Mumbai crowd. I am seeing some activity in Kerala too. North Indians are pathetic when it comes to understanding and watching football, at best a very select crowd, too small in size to bring in any worthwhile revenue.

Anyways coming back to Edmilson or any other Brazilian player for that matter, their first preference is Kolkata, especially if they have been successful in handling the pressure cooker situation in the Kolkata football scene. Most Brazilian players are naturally skillful although some of the ones who come to India have volatile temperament. Edmilson is the most volatile we have seen till date, now Hudson Lima is going to give him competition soon. Edmilson signed a contract with Wahing doh without a proper release from Southern Samity. Even before heading to Shillong, he was doing the rounds in EB tent and praying mercy to the officials. This was widely reported in the local media, so most in Kolkata had a hunch that Edmilson would end up with EB again, just that EB official were negotiating hard ball with him for his renowned temperament or the lack of it.

But in term of EB's title chase, do u think this move will help? I think the officials dont want anymore unknown elements after bringing Leko and Gow, they are settling for the tried and tested once....but how much that will help?
  • Edmilson is a player of class, I don't doubt his shooting ability given a free run with the ball, he is going to make the opponent pay. I have followed him closely the last few games he played the last fifteen twenty minutes Morgan played him. His pass to Penn against Pailan Arrows speaks volumes of the change in mindset. I don't think he is fully in condition though. I think East Bengal is the best bet amongst the Kolkata trio provided Morgan can play his cards right. His strategy until the Aryan drubbing was way too predictable and God knows why he does not try out Charan Rai on the left coming off an excellent last season with Churchill. That's the problem with foreign coaches, more so of European descent. They have some rigid views which does not work in Indian football. Not for once, I am saying that we don't need foreign coaches but I would prefer them at the academy level like a Colin Toal or Rob Bahn as opposed to a pressure cooker situation in Calcutta, where one mistake can put you under tremendous pressure.

Gurpreet's absolute childish BLUNDER today is just not acceptable given the soccer scene in Calcutta. If you are not mentally strong as a person and don't have a cool judicious head on your shoulders, you will be exposed in Calcutta in no time, doesn't matter how poor an impression the wannabe ManU and Chelsea fans all over India have of Calcutta football. If football in Calcutta was that easy, foreign media would not have shown so much interest in the big games here. Granted that the skill level has plummeted since the eighties, the frenzy and excitement has always been there and is back doubly double over the last year with a bang.
  • When I re read the post, I thought it was kinda scattered. I don't think there is anything wrong with team recruitment in KEB as is the case seriously with MMB. Morgan is not as good with his match reading as he is with building mobility and team combination, no wonder most foreign clubs have multiple voices in the coaching staff. Although East Bengal has a goalkeeper and assistant coach, I think Morgan has the final say and they act as yesmen so as not to piss off someone as high profile as Morgan, therein lies the issue. Whenever the team got stuck, I haven't seen him go for a plan B to catch the opponent completely offguard, say use the flanks and have Sanju and Charan whip in some crosses top of the rival box, don't tell me Ranjan Choudhury ain't no clue about these good ol tactics. I think Subrata Bhattacharya is more shrewd a match reading tactician than Morgan but Subrata is not that good in developing a passing team game since he comes off a time when personal skill level was relatively high and that could make differences in games. Most Indians, especially the very westernized ones must understand that foreigners are not that much superior over Indians, they just come from a better SYSTEM and it's the SYSTEM which delivers the wonderful results, one person cannot change much of anything.
  • Also I agree with Amal Dutta that most EB's players upfront are shorter in stature, so they have difficulty beating tall stoppers in the air. Only Robin Singh can help here but as you know by now, that he is very moody and erratic lives a bohemian lifestyle, a prodigal kid at best.
  • AdminAdmin 240 Points
    I League side SHILLONG LAJONG FC have signed Chandam Chitrasen for the rest of the season........
    The 25 year old Winger who impressed during his stints with CHURCHILL BROTHERS and SALGAOCAR in 2008 I league season signed as a Free agent....
    The news was confirmed on today...
    Thus he becomes LAJONG'S 4th signing in January after Reneddy Singh,Matthew Mayora and C. Sushil Kumar Chingh....

updated by Vaibhav Lampard in facebook
  • Looks like Edmar Figueria failed in Europe and is heading back to India but with Salgaocar. They already released Junior (surprising because he was just on getting on fire) and Edmar is only linked as of now.
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points
    Looks like Edmar Figueria failed in Europe and is heading back to India but with Salgaocar. They already released Junior (surprising because he was just on getting on fire) and Edmar is only linked as of now.

Junior scored only once i think
  • Looks like Edmar Figueria failed in Europe and is heading back to India but with Salgaocar. They already released Junior (surprising because he was just on getting on fire) and Edmar is only linked as of now.

He was really looking more likely to score though towards the end. Maybe Salgaocar could not wait that long
  • MarkMark 0 Points
    Looks like Edmar Figueria failed in Europe and is heading back to India but with Salgaocar. They already released Junior (surprising because he was just on getting on fire) and Edmar is only linked as of now.

He was really looking more likely to score though towards the end. Maybe Salgaocar could not wait that long

The reason for Junior leaving was purely political. If you'd seen the playing time he got, it was very less. Edmar was being linked with Salgaocar but nothing moved and today being the last day for transfers, someone close to the club has said it may not happen.

In other transfers, Air India have signed striker Prakash Thorat from Pune Club Deccan 11 on Sunday. He even played his debut game for about 18 mins as a 2nd half substitute against CUK.
  • salgoacar I believe has signed some french player from the singapore league. karim used to coach in singapore before he came over to india, so it's possible he is using his contacts to get some players.