ISL 2024-25: Three Kolkata Giants, Six Legendary Derbies

thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India30240 Points
It's that time of the Indian football season, "Lets Football" time! Come September 13 and India's 'premier' football league, the Indian Super League will kick off with the defending champions Mumbai City FC taking on the League Shield winner, Mohun Bagan Super Giants. This will be 11th season of the ISL. A total of 13 teams will be competing with each other for the coveted trophy—Bengaluru FCChennaiyin FCEast Bengal FCFC GoaHyderabad FCJamshedpur FCKerala Blasters FCMohammedan SC, Mohun Bagan Super Giants, Mumbai City FCNortheast United FCOdisha FC and Punjab FC. Like the previous year, the league will retain the home and away format for all teams, with the league topper ultimately crowned with the League Winners' Shield. The top six teams will progress to the knockout stages, from where they will eventually progress to the semi-finals and final. Sports18 Network has the official broadcasting rights for the league, with free streaming being provided by JioCinema. International fans across the world can catch the live action on the OneFootball website as well as through the OneFootball app. The matches will kick off at 7.30 PM with the double headers, on Saturdays, starting at 5.00 PM.

With the promotion of I-league winners, Mohammedan Sporting Club to the ISL, this season will get to see the three storied Kolkata clubs competing against each other on the biggest stage of Indian football after a long time. MSC have witnessed a resurgence of sorts in recent times, having reached the finals of the Durand Cup in 2021, winning the last three Calcutta Football Leagues and ultimately clinching the 2023-24 I-league. With six such legendary derbies, the passions generated would be at an all-time high. Some other changes in this edition are the omission of the Asian quota signing, the increase of the salary cap, with 2 players, domestic or international, outside the purview of the salary cap, the introduction of one concussion substitute in a match per team, the addition of the new homegrown player category, and the incorporation of the claim for wrongful dismissals for direct red cards (for obvious errors) in the rules.

Both the reigning Shield Winners and the defending champions, Mohun Bagan and Mumbai City, are the strongest contenders for this season, at least on paper. MB have bolstered their attacking department with the addition of A-League all-time top goalscorer Jamie Maclaren and former ISL Golden Ball winner Greg Stewart as well as Lalengmawia Ralte and would like to continue their fine form under their new coach, Jose Molina. Mumbai City have lost some of their veteran players like Jorge Pererya Diaz, Alberto Noguera and Rahul Bheke, but they have made some strategic acquisitions in Brandon Fernandes, former La Masia graduate Jon Toral and Jeremy Manzorro. FC Goa, who finished in the third place, have lost their star forward, Noah Sadaoui and their talisman, Brandon Fernandes, but having signed Armando Sadiku, Borja Herrera and Iker Guarrotxena, would look to go all the way this time. Odisha FC have kept their core squad intact and under the tutelage of their canny coach Sergio Lobera, would definitely be a major title contender. Chennaiyin FC, who reached the playoffs last year, have opted for an eclectic mix of youth and experience, signing promising Indian talents like Kiyan Nassiri, Gurkirat Singh and Laldinpuia along with ISL veterans like Wilmar Jordan Gil and Chima Chukwu. Under the coaching of Owen Coyle, who is known for extracting the best out of his players, they might emerge as the dark horse of the tournament. Kerala Blasters have opted for a change in their coaching personnel by hiring Mikael Stahre, but it remains to be seen whether he can change their 'underachievers' tag and help them to win the title. Bengaluru FC had a pretty poor last season and Gerard Zaragoza’s men, with a revamped squad, would like to better its performance. Jamshedpur FC, who have the only Indian coach in the ISL in Khalid Jamil, would always be a force to contend. East Bengal have made some big-budget signings like Dimitrios Diamantakos, Jeakson Singh and Madih Talal and would be looking to reach the playoffs for the first time in the ISL. NEUFC, who have recently won the Durand Cup, seems to have found the right amount of balance just at the right time and might give a run to any team in the tournament. Punjab FC, who finished a respectable eighth in their debut season, would definitely be no pushovers. Hyderabad FC have sorted out their financial problems and would be eager to put last season's disastrous performance behind them. Finally, it would be interesting to see what Mohammedan SC under their Russian coach Andrey Chernyshov, brings to the table in their debut ISL season.

Ready for the glory and the drama, the heartbreak and the frenzy? Keep watching this space!!

This thread is to discuss all activities--pre-season matches, team news, matches during ISL, post-match analysis--except those related to transfer.
rathorevarun4 NagendraDeb_BanashindiaBrainFallINDIAgoalkeeparindian_goonersouravindiagaffertape

Comments

• NagendraNagendra Rajahmundry, A.P6792 Points
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India30240 Points
    @munna219777, @mohammed_87hassan, can any of you guys make a small correction? 

In the third paragraph, the sentence beginning with NEUFC should read "might give any team in the tournament a run for their money" instead of "might give a run to any team in the tournament".

Thanks!
  • well written intro as usual. 
    Also some noteworthy changes is that the league opening match is at the different venue from Kochi in 9 years. This is due to stadium being used by Forca Kochi for KSL matches. 
    I expect a playoff spot for KBFC. Also I think every member here will support FC Goa this season as their second team to do well because of Manolo being NT coach.
    East Bengal and NEUFC are the teams which should improve and raise their games.
    giridharanthebeautifulgame
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 10082 Points
     should read "might give any team in the tournament a run for their money" instead of "might give a run to any team in the tournament".

Well, Mr GrammerNazi, what is the difference? It's a tongue twister to me, nothing more.
    Love you, @thebeautifulgame !
    giridharanNagendrathebeautifulgameindian_goonerashindia
  • Guys is Komal Thattal not in any isl team now?
  • BrainFallINDIABrainFallINDIA India7398 Points
    well written intro as usual. 
    Also some noteworthy changes is that the league opening match is at the different venue from Kochi in 9 years. This is due to stadium being used by Forca Kochi for KSL matches. 
    I expect a playoff spot for KBFC. Also I think every member here will support FC Goa this season as their second team to do well because of Manolo being NT coach.
    East Bengal and NEUFC are the teams which should improve and raise their games.
    KBFC I think , will have a bad season . I hope I'm proved wrong .Underwhelming signings and poor squad depth . They've tried to fill the voids using academy kids . It's not a bad thing but that won't get you results . The fanbase will really turn their back on KBFC if that's the case .
  • NagendraNagendra Rajahmundry, A.P6792 Points
    Guys is Komal Thattal not in any isl team now?
    He is busy with coloring his hair, hence JFC released him in this season.

Also, why are we expecting each & every U-17 N.T player to turn into pro. I don't think he is good enough to play in any ISL team.  He is physically very weak atleast couple of seasons earlier.. not sure, about current situation.. 
    deepak dedhagoalkeeparashindiagiridharan
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 10082 Points
    well written intro as usual. 

Lohe lohe ko kathta hain. Or money drives out money.
    This is a pleasant incident though, considering even the NT had suffered earlier because of ISL.

goalkeeparindian_gooner
  • Nagendra said:
    Guys is Komal Thattal not in any isl team now?
    He is busy with coloring his hair, hence JFC released him in this season.

Also, why are we expecting each & every U-17 N.T player to turn into pro. I don't think he is good enough to play in any ISL team.  He is physically very weak atleast couple of seasons earlier.. not sure, about current situation.. 
    Yeah I agree. But I had so high hopes on him rather than anyone else in that team. Someone who could score goals. He let himself down with his choices, but by far he might have been the bst technical resource of that batch alongwith Anwar. 
  • But irrespective of that I though he was with CFC, any news whatsoever of him?