FIFA U17 World Cup 2017 in India

Comments

• shibiershibier 2997 Points
    edited May 2014
    Why cant we use the cricket stadiums for the world cup matches ? I read some where, in australia that  MCG and Gabba used to host footbal matches.  Is there any restrictions when it comes to host FIFA matches ?? somebody please clarify if there any technicality issues ???
  • coolgagancoolgagan 1109 Points
    @shibier I dont think there are any restrictions but football is not meant to be played in cricket stadiums. Its ruins the overall experience of the game being away from the main field of action. I am not sure about this but maybe the cricket pitch in center is also not a good thing. Remember when indian team played in kochi, the players were complaining about the part of ground that was not prepared properly in the center. Add to that its not good for the game as anyways cricket being the major sport, stadiums even if used for world cup will again be used for international cricket. This defeats the purpose of developing exclusive infra for football in INDIA.
  • munna219777munna219777 28557 Points
    @shibier Good Question. It also depends on the ownership of the stadium. In India, stadiums are owned by Central Government, State Government, Municipal Corporation of the city, Cricket association, Football association and Private body.

Examples of Stadiums where both Cricket and Football has been played :-

Barabati Stadium, Cuttack

Lal Bahadur Stadium (Fateh Maidan), Hyderabad

JLN Stadium, Cochin

Nehru Stadium, Guwahati

Fatorda Stadium, Goa

Nehru Stadium, Indore

Keenan Stadium, Jamshedpur.

These are mostly Government owned stadiums and used for every purpose- NCC, 26 January School children parade, Politician Rally etc. As BCCI become rich, they have built there own cricket only grounds so Cricket has diminished in these stadiums. Whether Local Football Associations have sufficient clout to lease these grounds for long duration for Football, thats the concern. We also have a long list of Athletic stadiums built for National Games and we hardly use those stadiums also. Frankly speaking, we have many stadiums in India. We are not utilising our present resources-talks about Football specific stadiums in City Center is foolish for now.
  • shibiershibier 2997 Points
    @coolgagan . I beg to differ with your first point ... Ruining  spectators experience as the game being played away from the stands. Because most of the world cup matches played in  stadiums with athletic tracks .1990 Italia world cup final was played in  Olympic stadium where 1960 Olympics was conducted. Our JLN stadium in Newdelhi is also no different . What I want to convey is that cricket stadiums stands will be much closer to the playing field than the stadium that has got athletic filed.  But totally agree with your last point as it will defeat the purpose of buliding exclusive infra for football .

@munna can you please enlighten me which all are the stadiums identified to host the U17 world cups. If I am not wrong Salt Lake , JLN delhi , Fatorda , Kochi JLN and Banglore were finalised . Is it true and recent additions or change ???  
  • munna219777munna219777 28557 Points
    Final list of the venues for U-17 World cup is not declared yet. FIFA team will come one more time for inspection next year I think. Stadium, Practice facilities, Hotel, Airport etc. will all be considered. If Salt lake stadium is considered, then teams will need to go to Barasat Stadium for Practice and that distance will be counted as a factor.  FIFA is not a huge fan of Artifical Turf either and very high temperature is also a hindrance.
  • RonnyRonny 10488 Points
    AIFF has bid to host AFC U-16 finals for 2016..to give the team exposure and test the infra as well.AFC response is positive
  • coolgagancoolgagan 1109 Points
    @munna219777 salt lake stadium artificial turf is gonna be removed from service before world cup...it will be replaced with modern natural grass....
  • CybertronCybertron 402 Points
    After reading above comments I think money factor is very important. If there is more financial support for football infrastructure then we can make stadiums or football academies as per FIFA standards. This is where ISL comes into the picture.
  • preetampreetam 870 Points
    After reading above comments I think money factor is very important. If there is more financial support for football infrastructure then we can make stadiums or football academies as per FIFA standards. This is where ISL comes into the picture.

Thats common sense....in india everrything is sold....only if price is gud...
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    If money can be made from something then it will happen in India.