Armando Colaco

AdminAdmin 240 Points
edited January 2012 in Indian Football Team
Let's keep a thread on him, as he is the national team coach

Comments

• AdminAdmin 240 Points
    Armando Colaco Interview

Expectations are running high after Armando Colaco took over the reins of the National Team. Fully aware of the challenge ahead, Armando, by far the most successful Indian Coach in recent times, feels everyone need to be a bit patient. In a freewheeling interview to AIFF, Armando says the doors for the Senior Players haven’t been shut for ever. Excerpts.

How much different is it to coach the National Team from a club side?

Both are entirely different. The National Team is a much more difficult bunch to handle. In a club the entire squad stays with you all throughout the season whereas in a National Team, there are footballers from different clubs and all parts of the country. It’s not possible for the National Team Coach to keep a tab on them over the year. Moreover, you have to know their psyche and then work with them.

How much difficult was it to keep some Big Names out of the list of 42 Probables for the World Cup?

I have full respect for the Seniors and am aware of their contribution for Indian football. Obviously, it was a very difficult decision for me. I relied on present form and building a team for the future. Players who have played well in the I-League have been preferred over others. Hence, some Big Names had to be left out. If we are to look at the future, we need to concentrate on the Youngsters who performed well in AFC Challenge Cup Qualifiers in Kuala Lumpur.

Does that mean the National Team doors have been shut on the Seniors for ever?

I have never said so and neither do I believe so. The list of 42 Probables is for a specific time period with a specific plan. Anyone who performs well after that can easily walk into the National Team. Doors on the Seniors haven’t been shut for ever.

What would you focus on when the boys assemble for the Camp?

We would focus on keeping the ball. Ball possession defines the character of a team and invariably scripts the fate of a match. But it’s not easy to play ‘simple yet breathtaking football.’ We will have special sessions with the ball and the conditioning will be done at the same time.

How do you rate India’s chances against UAE in the World Cup Qualifiers?

They are a tough unit no doubt who prefer to play physical football. There are many foreigners who have naturalised for the UAE National Team. After all, India did lose to them 5-0 in one of the practice matches ahead of the Asian Cup. We also need to keep in mind the climatic conditions won’t favour us much when we play them in July.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sportskeeda.com/2011/06/02/exclusive-interview-armando-colaco/">http://www.sportskeeda.com/2011/06/02/e ... do-colaco/</a><!-- m -->
  • AdminAdmin 240 Points
    Goan youth have good future ahead: Armando

PANAJI: Dempo and India coach Armando Colaco, who was on a five-day tour of Denmark to study the academy and coaching at the FC Mitdjylland, was impressed with the way they have been coaching the youth.

"It's a right academy model for nurturing the youth of Dempos in particular and Goa, India in general," said Colaco who signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with regards to exchange of players between the two clubs, study of marketing and training of coaches.

"They believe in the same philosophy as we do believe here in Dempo. Play from behind by keeping the ball possession, build up patiently, spread the game, overlapping, crossing from the wings, cutting back and strong finish.

"They also believe in having dreams and keeping the players happy at all times without any pressure, the way we do at Dempos allowing the players to express freely themselves on the ground," stated Colaco.

"This Academy along with the personnel is incredible, I have no words to express to see how happy I am after going through the academy workouts by the coaches, especially Tony and Lars. They are all full of warmth and enthusiasm, just the way we are at Dempo. Eighteen playgrounds and fantastic academy set up. Its really great, this tie up, a dream come true for our boys.

"All along in my coaching instructions to the aspiring coaches, I always used to talk about Ajax model but now after seeing it in Herning personally, I have to start talking about this FC Midtjylland Youth Academy.

"I have been given to understand that even Ajax and Juventus have started asking them how they have been able to sell 68 players within just a short span of time," stated Colaco.

"The way I have seen and analysed U-14 and U-15, we can definitely send three or four boys at the moment who will do much better in the future than the ones who are there. I have spoken to Soren in this regard and he has agreed to allow few of our young boys in the Academy in spite of Jens having a different opinion," Colaco said.

"Jens said that once the boys come and go they will not be able to go back again, something which we have to sort it out. Their U-17 and U-19 Academy boys are a bit stronger and it will be difficult for our boys to compete with them because of our biological growth but nevertheless, there is plenty of youth potential a great belief in me that after ten or fifteen years we will be able to sell one or two of our players to European countries.

"The very first important thing to do is the ground and the Academy. Soren has told me that the architect who build the stadium at Herning is very eager to come to India and do the planning for us.

"I feel we must built the same type of stadium and the academy quarters the they have it there. The coaching staff behind this project must be equally good if we have to make a mark in the world and that is the reason why I have recommended Cajetan Fernandes and Gavin Araujo, two Youth coaches to help Mathew immediately to work in this project.

"Its a pity that I had to go late due to circumstances beyond my control to see the FC Midtjylland academy but if I had to go there earlier, I would have definitely turned down the India team offer to concentrate fully on this great project," stated Colaco.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-06-11/top-stories/29646871_1_armando-colaco-dempos-coaching">http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes ... s-coaching</a><!-- m -->
  • AdminAdmin 240 Points
    We can never play like Barcelona: Armando

Hours prior to the kick-off of Team India’s Preparatory Camp for the World Cup Qualifier against UAE, National Team Coach Armando Colaco, in his first official interaction with the Media at the Football House stressed, he is ‘not a magician,” and needs “time to adjust.”
    “Just be a bit patient. This is a new beginning for Indian football,” he insisted.
    “The boys from the Indian Arrows will form the nucleus of the future National Squad. I have analysed each and every player and decided on my squad,” Armando explained.
    Referring to a question that he had axed many a senior player for the Camp, Armando clarified: “I have never axed any player. I just want to build a squad for the future.”
    India play UAE in the World Cup Qualifier on July 23 (away-match) and the home match at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in New Delhi on July 28.
    Kushal Das, the General Secretary of the All India Football Federation (AIFF) who was also present on the occasion further informed the National Team would play a series of friendly matches as part of the preparation. “Besides the match against Maldives (July 10) and Qatar (July 17), we are in talks to squeeze in two more International Friendlies during the period.”
    “Adjusting to different styles stays the key for any footballer,” Armando maintained. “Every coach has a specific style of play. I would insist on playing possessional football. After all, it’s all about the ball.”
    He went on to clarify that “the National team won’t ever try to play like Barcelona.”
    “It’s impossible to play like Barcelona. No team can’t ever emulate that style. It’s futile to think we will be playing like them,” he added. “I have been successful with Dempo. I’d rather like to infuse the Dempo style of play into the National Squad.”
    Armando singled out striker Jeje Lalpeklua saying, he expects him to carry on his I-League momentum into the International Matches. “Jeje is a strong boy. He has been the highest Indian scorer in the I-League. I expect a lot from him.”

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.the-aiff.com/pages/news/index.php?N_Id=2596">http://www.the-aiff.com/pages/news/index.php?N_Id=2596</a><!-- m -->
  • Armando Colaco Interview...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href=" m -->

He looks very confident... hope he injects same confidence to the team and guide them well..

Sorry Admin.. If it's d wrong place to post the video...
  • Valeriy Lobanovsky, one of the greatest managers of all times, came with USSR team in Nehru Cup in 1989. Colaco was local contact for that team and worked closely with Lobanovsky. Before leaving Lobanovsky told Colaco that he'd be a great coach in future.

I was amazed to hear this. Never knew Colaco came in touch with a man like Lobanovsky.
  • namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    wow! hw did u come to know this?
  • An interview of Colaco was taken by Rupayan Bhattacharya for Ananda Bazar Patrika.
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points
    The boys are gelling well: Armando Colaco

NEW DELHI: India's chief football coach Armando Colaco is happy that the team is gelling well but injuries to striker Sunil Chettri and Baljeet Sahni are still a concern for him ahead of the team's first round World Cup qualifiers against the United Arab Emirates (UAE) later this month.

Armando on Friday again fielded the seniors against the Under-23 team in a practice match that ended 1-1 at the Ambedkar Stadium. The seniors came from a goal down to equalise through Anthony Barbosa in the second half. Snehashish Chakraborty scored for the Under-23 team in the first half.

The coach was happy to see the boys slowly getting into the tiki-taka game.

"Today I fielded Shilton D'Silva and Jewel Raja in the first half, but they couldn't get the passes going. But once I replaced them with Lalkamal Bhowmick and Mehtab Hussain the game opened up with short passes," said Armando.

"I am happy that the boys are quickly getting into the the passing style and are not going boom-boom. The boys game have assured me that they will work hard to adopt this style and that was very heartening for me. We don't have much time left with us but I am confident that we will get things going for us," he said.

The Goan lamented that Salgaocar midfielder Rocus Lamare and defender Khangembam Singh can't be travelling with the team as they don't have passport.

"They were good players and before they joined training I told their clubs to make sure that they have their passports. It is unfortunate that they will not be travelling with the team. I am also concerned about the injuries to Sunil and Baljeet but I think they will recover soon," he said.

The coach said that he would prune down the list to 30 from 42 probables after Monday's practice match.

Meanwhile, India's star goalkeeper Subrata Paul said that he has recovered from his arm injury and will start practicing from Monday.

"I like the mix of juniors and seniors in the squad. It feels nice to be among the juniors and inspiring them," said Paul.

Paul, who most likely will be India's No.1 choice ahead of former captain Sandeep Nandy, said: "Sandeep has always been my role model. I have grown up watching him and I am still learning a lot from him."

The Pune FC goalkeeper, who was the star performer in India's disastrous performance in the Asian Cup earlier this year, said he doesn't want to delve into the past.

"I don't think too much about the past. I am looking forward to the World Cup qualifiers. It is a new challenge for me," he said.

Paul also said that he will stay at Pune FC but is looking to try his luck overseas.

India are slated to play UAE in their away match July 23 and then will host them in Delhi July 28.
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/football/interviews/The-boys-are-gelling-well-Armando-Colaco/articleshow/9066959.cms
  • AdminAdmin 240 Points
    Stand Up For Coach Armando Colaco

He has won it all at club level in Indian football with Dempo Sports Club and has also made the Goan giants a force to reckon with in the AFC Cup. And now the most successful coach in I-League history is making headlines as the chief coach of the Indian senior national team.

In only the second game of his tenure, Armando Colaco guided Team India to a memorable 2-1 victory over a nation that is placed 53 places above India in the FIFA Rankings. It would go down as one of the all-time best results for the Indian team and even though the players did the job on the pitch, most of the credit should go to coach Armando Colaco.

The 58-year-old tactician received some criticism after his first game in charge as India could only draw 1-1 against lower-ranked Maldives. But Armando proved his credentials by masterminding India’s first win over a West Asian nation since the 3-2 victory over Kuwait back in 2004.

Coach Colaco has already achieved something which his more illustrated predecessor failed to do over a five-year spell i.e. win an away international match and to achieve that against the ninth best team of the continent and future World Cup hosts is truly remarkable.

Read the full article here : <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/2696/indian-national-team/2011/07/19/2580793/amoy-ghoshals-indian-national-team-comment-stand-up-for">http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/2696/ ... and-up-for</a><!-- m -->