Broadcasting & Sponsors Update

Comments

• also i would like certain clubs to follow gokulam fc to partner with some local regional channel to braodcast the match in regional language of that state. gokulam fc owner has some stakes in flowers 24 new channel through which the matches are broadcasted. the camera angle is horribel though.  :s
    Deb_Bankartik91
  • every club should show live telecast on youtube channel
    Deb_Ban
  • athi_bheekaranathi_bheekaran Some where in Singularity1092 Points
    It's same production of i-league that is broadcasted through 24 News. They did last year Kerala Premier League Final Production which was decent considering their inexperience in sports Production
    indian_gooner
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    Issue is not about finidng a channel to broadcast.
    They can show the game on Facebook if they want like Womens I-League.

It is about earning by television rights, digital rights and ads.
    ISL earn money because of 35 % shares which Star give, They in turn earn from ads atc.

Star is the biggest sports media group in India.
    There is a   reason why monopoly is bad.
    Hockey India League numbers were bad. Star pulled the plug and the league collapsed.
    Deb_Banindian_gooneratuljgmasefieldtheoilfieldBrainFallINDIAPassigiridharan
  • dev_pfcdev_pfc Pune1936 Points
    If star pulls out of ISL, Reliance can even step in on sports channel segment via TV18. 
  • atuljgatuljg Trivandrum3983 Points
    Like it or not, the only real competition to Star will be from the OTT players like YouTube, Facebook, Amazon Prime and Netflix. Of these, Netflix and Amazon Prime has not yet entered or telecast Sports yet. Hope everyone remembers the mammoth bid by Facebook for IPL telecast last time.

Star has effectively killed the other sports channels with their effective combo of TV plus hotstar. People are moving away from traditional cable TV and DTH to Smart TV with OTT content with the availability of increasing internet speed. 5G introduction could accelerate this.
    indian_goonerathi_bheekaranPassikartik91
  • imsouravimsourav kolkata659 Points
    edited October 2020
    With star or no star, FSDL need to start selling broadcast rights sooner rather than later. Otherwise league cannot sustain longevity. 
    If clubs start to get the share of broadcast rights, then only their investment year in year out will be justified, otherwise they'll loose interest eventually and die an untimely death. 
    Indian football has a huge audience, true but not a large number of them are buying audience, also true. So, merchandising or brand collaboration can hardly generate any revenue in our local market. share of broadcast rights is the only way to make the clubs survive. I'm afraid, if FSDL cannot chalk out a suitable revenue plan for the clubs in near future, then we may see clubs loosing their interest, keeping in mind there'll be a longer season from next season onwards. It'll be very hard for clubs to survive without a suitable return in investment structure.

goalkeeparmunna219777BrainFallINDIA
  • @atuljg what you have mentioned is correct. internet is growing in around areas but for viewing OTT content we need high speed internet. but for rural areas, it is not suitable as Internet apps require their own technicality when starting like registration, login, online payment, installing apps, casting to TV etc. so for them only normal Television sets with cable TV setup will work.
    goalkeeparmunna219777NagendraG_Katuljgkartik91
  • athi_bheekaranathi_bheekaran Some where in Singularity1092 Points
    edited October 2020
    @atuljg I would say what you said is right when you consider Kerala,where Highspeed Fiber Internet Penetration is almost same throughout the state but when you look at the Pan Indian scenario we are very far from it.
    atuljgindian_gooner
  • atuljgatuljg Trivandrum3983 Points
    @indian_gooner @athi_bheekaran I agree and that is the present scenario. Everything could change post 5G entry and Jio is already conducting trials. 

facebook's bid for IPL is just a small pointer at the way things could be in the future. I already see many switching over from cable/DTH to android TV and Amazon fire TV.
    athi_bheekaranindian_gooner