Suggestions for Indian Football

Comments

• Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9957 Points
    There will not be much to discuss about Indian players with teams packed with foreigners.
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points

I have an idea where ISL could be restricted to 4-5  months only and the costly players can be restricted to the actual tournament..

As per my knowledge, the country's league can have any foreigners in their squad but while playing AFC competition only will the foreigner count really matter... so let the limit of foreigners allowed be kept to may be 5 players for 4 month league where the likes of anelka riise while in the rest of the season we shall revive the tournaments like rovers cup, IFA shield, Durand cup... each could be ran for about month long..

During these tournaments they don't need to keep hold of foreign stars but the  next set of foreigners like sony norde, andre moritz could play  in this league and also in AFC tournaments..

This way we shall have Indians playing for single club with the club also having the chance to spend lavishly for 4 month tournament and could have the luxury to test indian players and supporting foreigners in the rest time... I think this could help for 3-4 seasons by when the the franchises start behaving like clubs and are ready to manage a 7-8 month side... which I doubt they can do now

atuljg
  • atuljgatuljg Trivandrum3983 Points
    edited September 2015
    I don't like ISL teams playing on FIFA match days. They should have preseason in August and start the tournament in September next year allowing AIFF to hold friendlies on FIFA days. Hopefully Bengaluru and Hyderabad teams as well.
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    About the tournaments, why? I mean, in Japan they have the J. League, Emperors Cup, and J. League Cup... that is it. Australia has the A-League and then the FFA Cup. Korea has the K League and Korean FA Cup. Same with a lot of nations. England is just the Premier League, League Cup, and FA Cup. Lower division teams have the League Cup, Football League Trophy, and FA Cup with non-league having just FA Cup, FA Trophy, and FA Vase to go with their leagues and early knock-outs from these tournaments.

I don't know but to me it just seems like we're just pulling for these "historic cups" just for the sake of it or the so-called nostalgia. Why can't we just hope for a simple league and domestic cup competition which gives our teams at least 20-30 games a season while state leagues have their own leagues and domestic cups etc.

Like, I don't get the point of bringing back such tournaments like Rovers Cup or bringing in foreign teams to things like the IFA Shield. It all just seems so 20th century... get with modern times guys. Sure, it would be nice to have them back now, specially with I-League being short and stuff, but it will only cause more problems down the road IMO.
    atuljgDXDeb_Ban
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points
    I said that because somewhere @gaffertape said that most of ISL owners are not interested with long term league... so thought of this b plan to slowly take them to the international way of football league rather than the indian way - read IPL way
    munna219777
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    Ah, I get it, but then that just leads to long-term problems like when we do want to start getting into a "proper football system". Do we just stop these tournaments like that again? The cool thing about the Rovers Cup for example is that it happened a long time ago and was prestigious in a time when Indian football was among the best in Asia.

To bring it back now and end when things are back to normal would make it look like a stop gap solution tournament.
    Deb_Ban
  • Why not have an Indian Football Structure like this.
    16 Team ISL-ILeague Merged League
    16 teams 2nd division league Main Round.
    40 team2nd division Zonal round
    Every state to have its state league. Top two teams from each state league to qualify for Zonal 2nd Division League. Top two teams from zonal rounds to make it to the final round. Top 2 teams in 2nd Division League main round qualify for The Main league.
    IFA SHIELD, DURAND CUP, ROVERS CUP, KALINGA CUP, etc can be the State FA Cups. This way they will still be relevant.
    All state leagues to run from Aug to November. Main league starts in October and ends in May. Start Fed Cup parallely with main league, with winner of Fed Cup and Main League getting slots for AFC Competition.
    AKBsilicon3
  • DXDX 4074 Points
    Historic cups are what makes indian football it is.

rovers cup, durand cup, IFA shield should be held. make only one tournament as senior player tournament while rest of them make it mandatory for youth teams participate in.

Am also looking at any league that starts maybe late sept to march. am sure 6 months league with money in hand some foriegn talent can be retained. remove marquee rule and use the tieup with german FA and Japan FA to get good young players on loan aka pelissari/santos kind.

to attract better talent have a 4 month year on year contract for the best foriegners alone ie., sept - dec so they use our league as match fitness while we get the best players for our boys to look up to.
    gaffertape
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9957 Points
    @Shankar, your proposal would skyrocket the team budgets, too.
  • atuljgatuljg Trivandrum3983 Points
    September to March would be the ideal window as IPL starts in April.