PIO (Player of Indian Origin) Thread

Comments

• goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29238 Points
    Without pios and Naturalization, india will always be a joke in football. 
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    I want to correct myself. PIO can play with OCI card if govt gives FIFA in writing that it's an identity proof or passport for players. 

As to why I am interested I genuinely feel we can become a very decent team with 6/7 Pio in our 23 men squad. There are some pretty good players like Manprit Sarkaria, Danny Bath etc and they play on a higher level than many in current WC Aussie team too. 

Will this happen. Probably never but I wish someone actually instilled sense into sports ministry of whoever is involved. If others can do it so should we. 

I'll finish my rant and forget about PIO for next few years now

It is not.
     OCI card is not any citizenship. It is just a visa.
    Green card of USA or PR card of any EU country is a visa. one can stay there in USA on Green Card but cannot represent them as it is not any citizenship proof. It is just a visa for entry and stay.
    OCI card is also a visa attached to a foreign passport. If an OCI card holder wnats to get Indian citizenship, they need to stay in India for 5 years on OCI status and then become eligible for citizenship.

From VFS Website
    OCI Card is a multiple entry life-long visa which enables the holder to have unlimited travel and stay in India.

Deb_Banashindiaindian_goonergiridharanRonnyThe real AG
  • giridharangiridharan Washington D.C3613 Points
    @munna219777
    Yeah as you said OCI is just a permanent resident visa. My son is on OCI. He cannot do anything that requires citizenship. 

Also imagine if they give citizenship to all OCI holders, Then India has one of the highest expat population. India's population will double overnight.

The ideal fix is to grant citizenship as express entry which a lot of countries do. Right now asking someone to wait 7 years to get the citizenship is very out of touch with the rest of the world. If that becomes like 1 or 2 years for all OCI holders then maybe players might be willing to wait and receive Indian citizenship. Bonus point is if there is a rule to give dual citizenship only by approval from the PM. Like how Prince, Emir, Emirati's can grant citizenship, We should give provision for dual citizenship only on approval from PM. This will never happen. As our government least cares about the sports or sees the value in it.
    munna219777indian_goonerashindiaRonnyThe real AGgaffertapeEastBengalPride
  • NagendraNagendra Rajahmundry, A.P6469 Points
    Triman Ranvir Singh (Belgian citizen & PIO) dream is to play for Indian N.T. Currently,  he is playing in Netherlands (some 2nd division academy). Though it is old news, Ranjit Bajaj invited him to visit Minerva Academy. He even stayed with the club for a week. Approached few ISL & I league clubs and if everything goes as planned.  Next season,  he will play in India
    Deb_Bansouravindiadev_pfcnamewtheldashindiaindian_goonergiridharanEastBengalPride
  • dev_pfcdev_pfc Pune1936 Points
    edited February 2023
    Nagendra said:
    Triman Ranvir Singh (Belgian citizen & PIO) dream is to play for Indian N.T. Currently,  he is playing in Netherlands (some 2nd division academy). Though it is old news, Ranjit Bajaj invited him to visit Minerva Academy. He even stayed with the club for a week. Approached few ISL & I league clubs and if everything goes as planned.  Next season,  he will play in India

Saw his videos on youtube, guy definitely looks good, plus he is just 19 so if he is serious about playing for NT, he can get his Indian passport bang at the start of his prime.
    Nagendraashindiaindian_goonergiridharanSukun
  • ashindiaashindia 9254 Points
    Goan origin footballer playing in Norway top division - Adrian Pereira - Player profile 2023 | Transfermarkt
    RonnyNagendragiridharan
  • NagendraNagendra Rajahmundry, A.P6469 Points
    ashindia said:
    Goan origin footballer playing in Norway top division - Adrian Pereira - Player profile 2023 | Transfermarkt
    looks like a promising player. Primarily as a Left back, but can play in Mid-field as well.
    Also deployed in Left Wing in couple of games. 

AIFF should reach players like him. Most players from UK may not opt for Indian citizenship considering it is a risk for them if they need to continue playing in UK.
    giridharanPassi
  • giridharangiridharan Washington D.C3613 Points
    Arjan Raiky joins Leicester City after 8 years at Villa. He helped two league teams with promotion and was a teammate with Otis(Pakistan) at Grimsby. He is one of the best young PIO signings we can make. Hope the committee is taking a look at him. He is 20 and will be a great addition! 
    indian_goonerashindia
  • Manprit Sarkaria made his international debut for Austria today in the Euro qualifiers. You can strike him off the list for all the PIO discussions.
    NagendraashindiaRonnygoalkeeparmohammed_87hassangiridharan