I-league 2012-13 General Discussion thread

Comments

• gaffertapegaffertape 13021 Points

IPL (cricket) has salary cap , but this is circumvented by perfectly 'legal' methods.

Dhoni is brand ambassador for Aircel
    Tendulkar similarly is for Reliance

on paper Gambhir is the most expensive player, but everyone knows, that those 2 pocket more than him each year from the IPL

the same could happen in Indian football....but to avoid this , the I-League should have the designated player/ marquee player who does not fall under the salary cap rule...
    This will avoid the need for back handed payments, as the clubs can choose how much they want to spend on this star player...

This could help ensure some top quality players...

I'd also like the rule to include that of the other 2 foreigners, they must have some minimal international club / national team experience.....
    please , please, enough of the Chidi Edeh's, ND Opara's and Lamine Tamba's in the league , they offer no value to the Indian league or help to the players development.

• i agree with the point that @gaffertape made bout international club/national team experience..... it will be difficult to attract good players here...but worth a try for atleast one season.... if it fails den we can always revert... as everybody knows that current I-league is in TRANSITION STATE... time for few experiments 
    :D

• Arsenalkid700Arsenalkid700 7 Points
    edited January 2013

Sorry about that, initial reaction.

• > gaffertape said:
    > IPL (cricket) has salary cap , but this is circumvented by perfectly 'legal' methods.
    >
    > Dhoni is brand ambassador for Aircel
    > Tendulkar similarly is for Reliance
    >
    > on paper Gambhir is the most expensive player, but everyone knows, that those 2 pocket more than him each year from the IPL
    >
    > the same could happen in Indian football....but to avoid this , the I-League should have the designated player/ marquee player who does not fall under the salary cap rule...
    > This will avoid the need for back handed payments, as the clubs can choose how much they want to spend on this star player...
    >
    > This could help ensure some top quality players...
    >
    > I'd also like the rule to include that of the other 2 foreigners, they must have some minimal international club / national team experience.....
    > please , please, enough of the Chidi Edeh's, ND Opara's and Lamine Tamba's in the league , they offer no value to the Indian league or help to the players development.

I agree with the marquee player rule as I have been calling for that as well. We have all seen its wonders in football as well with the A-League benefiting from Pirlo, Ono, and Heskey while MLS benefits from Henry, Beckham, Cahill, Marquez, Keane, Angel etc.

Obviously we wont have the type of marquees that they have but say for example... Carlos Hernandez, he could be counted as a marquee as... well... he is one. He is probably the only marquee player in the league right now. We could use some more and currently looking at what the proposed salary cap will be and the known budgets of the I-League clubs expect the 1st generation of marquee players to be players in their 30s from the A-League or leagues similar like Thomas Broich, Shane Smeltz, Chris Wondolowski who would all be in their 30s when this is implemented and would probably be interested in joining if the price is right.

Also, I would suggest to avoid overrating a player (like we do with Martins and Odafe) we make a rule that if you want to have/make this player as a marquee then he must be approved by the league. That way we can avoid teams overpaying for players that should not be paid as much in the first place.

As for the other foreigners. I think this would call for new laws regarding that. You are allowed 3 foreigners + the marquee foreigner but at least 1 needs to be Asian. If you decide to use a normal foreigner over the marquee player (so you can have 4 non-marquee foreigners) then that is allowed.

But I stuggle to see the foreigner rule working in which we say that the player must have international club / national team experience. Look at Ebi Sukore for example. He is shit and provides nothing but technically he passes the guideline of playing for an international club (in Indonesia).

I dont think we can control this aspect. All we can do is encourage the clubs to do better. Remember these foreigners also count towards the cap as well (except the marquee player). Dont be like MLS where we regulate almost everything the teams do. That is my only criticism of MLS. We need to give the clubs some freedom.
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points

salary cap with a marquee players given exemption... criteria shall be like the player  should have played afc champions league or other champions league for min of so and so mins or matches...

we can say these players would be easily of the quality better than most of foreigners who are currently trading in ileague
  • Again there are ways to get around that. I bet their is crap that played in the Champions League that would also be crap in I-League. The marquee guy should be above the rest. Better than what we have. A known name. The A-League guys would be and we can afford them (Carlos Hernandez) and also some J. League guys.

Anyway I am skeptical about doing the salary cap straight away. I like what MLS did in which we waited before added the marquee rule (Or as we call it DP rule). We made the clubs follow only the salary cap with no marquee guys. This way, for I-League clubs, the clubs wont waste huge somes on the marquee guy. 

Once we actually see the salary cap working and that we see more youth Academies, stadium operation etc then we can do the marquee player rule.
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points

i think in i-league.... salary cap means % of entire budget on team rite??

like if you have a budger of 10 cr.. then you can spend at most 7.5 cr on wages rest should be spent on offfield activities

and not like all clubs can spend at most 8 crores and no rules regarding offfield investment... which is the way salary cap is installed in IPL and HIL... 

the first case helps the bigger teams to spend their own choice and then show that they are working off-field too

i am not sure which one is gonna be the case

and @Arsenalkid700 yea i agree with you the marquee signings are not needed for now but it will help the club get some attraction if they able to get quality signing in future.
  • Arsenalkid700Arsenalkid700 7 Points
    edited January 2013

I see what you mean but look at it this way. The clubs, most of them, are bloody broke. The salary cap will be set to around 60%-70%. How much will that leave for off-field work? Not a lot really and the marquee player salary would come out of the off-field money as they do not count towards the salary cap. Unless a team is willing to cut back on wages and have the marquee player count within the cap I do not see the marquee being a smart idea initially.

Once progress is seen with the salary cap alone then we can move on to the marquee. Lets learn to crawl before we can walk.
  • JoyptanJoyptan 295 Points
    edited January 2013

Clean sheets in this I-league uptill 18th round.

East Bengal - 11

Churchill Brothers SC - 8

Dempo - 6

ONGC - 6

Salgaocar - 5

Shillong Lajong FC - 5

Pailan Arrows - 4

Mumbai FC - 4

Sporting Clube de Goa - 4

USFC - 4

Mohun Bagan - 4

Pune FC - 3