AFC U16 CHAMPIONSHIP 2012

Comments

• ashindiaashindia 9322 Points

From pics UAE guys look stronger and bigger.From what I have heard Toal did pick tall guys our C.Bs Sajid and Sarthak are 6ft as per goalnepal reports.Maybe they get better in coming years

• > ajmal said:
    > i > Ronny said:
    > >
    ThIS UAE team  will head for Spain to line up for honours in an international
    > > tournament and after returning home, they will take part in UAE U-19
    > > national league from next season ....Thats what the difference is

i hope our team too gets the same continuity...an academy is a good option..i would prefer the continuation of scholarship for img boys
    > >

Agree. IMG can continue till 19 years of age. Maybe some of these guys can go to Europe (or Asia) and college in America.
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points

Too much emphasis on Tall players... being tall has its disadvantages also, specially for creative players...its something to do with better balance of short players. That's why some of the most creative players in the world, and indeed India are short in height.

• 2 losses to UAE U16.what should the indian fans infer?... pity that the indian coach or UAE coach were not interviewd after the matches we would have had a idea of the game.

• > silicon3 said:
    > 2 losses to UAE U16.what should the indian fans infer?... pity that the indian coach or UAE coach were not interviewd after the matches we would have had a idea of the game.

I reckon this group of boys might just spring a surprise or two in the actual finals. Last year, the same bunch struggled in the SAFF U-16 championships, losing to lower-ranked Pakistan twice. They did go on to qualify for the AFC finals after that, stunning much fancied teams like Tajikistan and Bahrain. The UAE friendlies may not be an actual indicator of the optimum performance this team is capable of, considering the coach would have tried various combinations to gauge the best 11 for the finals.

• RonnyRonny 10479 Points

Still by these results it seems highly unlikely that this team wud beat Uzbeks and Chinese

• > Ronny said:
    > Still by these results it seems highly unlikely that this team wud beat Uzbeks and Chinese

Well i will give the benefit of doubt to the indian cubs..none of us have seen both these UAE games. it would be unfair to judge them on these 2 results. Also a  defeat in my opinion always teaches you much more than a victory...perhaps teh coach tinkered with  the formation & tactics.

Finally on the D day its finally 11 vs 11 and a few inspired performances against China and Uzbek will take us through.. I know its not easy but the U16 will take heart from a inspired U22 performance.

• rudrarudra 2958 Points

actually u16 has already achieved more than u22. I think given the hype created around papas's team, we sometimes forget that u16 actually crossed the qualifying round.

U19 just missed out the qualification just as u22 did. 
  • RonnyRonny 10479 Points

True U-16 has quietly achieved a lot more than the u-19 and u-22 teams did..now if they make the quarters or a dream WC it will be best performance by Indian team ever..still dont keep too many expectations

• We are forgetting the 2002 U-16 squad which was the best in years. They drew with UAE in UAE and lost in the quarterfinals to eventual champions South Korea (3-1 score). Malsawma and Jerry Zirsanga were amazing in that tournament and the team was called the "Brazilians of Asia" in the Gulf News.