I-League in Asian Champions League

Some good news for us all today as India may get its Asian Champions League spot back [somehow]. We are definitely not going to be in the 2012 Asian Champions League but we could be in the 2013 Asian Champions League but we would have to have the I-League champions go through two qualifiers. Now the new requirements still have to be sent to the AIFF and in June the Asian Football Confederation officials will come to India and inspect everything and if all goes well we should have the Champions League to look forward two.

Of course though stadiums is still a problem and even worse is training grounds. We need to improve those conditions plus the way the players are taken care of. Hopefully bad clubs like HAL, Chirag, Air India etc can be relegated and clubs like United Sikkim FC and Royal Wahingdoh FC come up. This is crucial to us. The Champions League is a great marketing tool.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/1064/i-league/2012/01/17/2850923/afc-cup-may-not-be-a-guaranteed-fallback-option-for-the-i-league-"; onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/1064/ ... -i-league-</a><!-- m -->

Comments

• shankarshankar 2600 Points
    it is a bit odd though to get to know that there is more chances for a federation cup winners to survive in asian level tournament than the i-league winners...
    but still good to know that the acl chance will be again available for i-league teams
  • it is a bit odd though to get to know that there is more chances for a federation cup winners to survive in asian level tournament than the i-league winners...
    but still good to know that the acl chance will be again available for i-league teams

hopefully. We still lack a lot of the AFC components. Hopefully financially bad clubs like HAL and Chirag leave this season and then Air India the next season and clubs like United Sikkim, Royal Wahingdoh FC and another finacially viable team (preferably in South India [Bangalore or Kerala or even Chennai]) come up.
  • EnotEnot 129 Points
    hopefully. We still lack a lot of the AFC components. Hopefully financially bad clubs like HAL and Chirag leave this season and then Air India the next season and clubs like United Sikkim, Royal Wahingdoh FC and another finacially viable team (preferably in South India [Bangalore or Kerala or even Chennai]) come up.
    And what are the budgets of clubs in India? I read somewhere. that the richest clubs have a budget of about EUR 20 million. Is this true? The poor are the budgets?
  • namewtheldnamewtheld Kolkata5665 Points
    The highest expenditure this time was by Mohun Bagan and it was INR 130 million which translates to EUR 2.1 million ! So its much poorer than you think. Also, all of that money goes into buying players, no YDP, no nothing
  • So, bring this thread back to life.

According to my sources at BigSoccer India could be given a spot in the qualifiers for the AFC Champions League which would obviously go to Dempo SC in 2013. The final decision will be given on 29 November 2012.
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points

> Arsenalkid700 said:
    > So, bring this thread back to life.

According to my sources at BigSoccer India could be given a spot in the qualifiers for the AFC Champions League which would obviously go to Dempo SC in 2013. The final decision will be given on 29 November 2012.

great news!!
    But Dempo is not prepared this time i feel
  • silicon3silicon3 351 Points
    edited November 2012

> shankar said:
    > > Arsenalkid700 said:
    > > So, bring this thread back to life.

>
    >

great news!!
    But Dempo is not prepared this time i feel

i feel Dempo will not be able to qualify via d qualifiers..there is to much of a gap is standards

• > Ashlesh said:
    >
    who cares about the preparation if play off go ahead dempo play for draw in every match use al saad tactics and play for penalties jst flood defence and midfield (even though we rarely play with striker )

want to see copehnhagan (denish super liga) like situation in i league 

Why do that. This aint Chelsea where you can have a great defense. This is Dempo where most of the defenders are closing in on the end of their careers. And currently you guys fail to beat ONGC and barely beat Air India. These qualifiers would be great for playing youth as AFC Cup is a guarantee.
  • silicon3silicon3 351 Points

> Ashlesh said:
    > who care even if they loose 10 or 12 nil in ACL main draw no problem but good for dempo in long run and most important money and edge above other i league clubs in long run 

how is dempo losing 12-0 ok despite you getting more  money?...looking at the performace AFC might just scarp the slot for India

• First of all, the slot will not be given to play in AFC Champions league. It will be given to play in qualifier playoff for AFC Champions league where Dempo will have to defeat teams like Arbil, Al-Kuwait in away matches in order to qualify. In past on 3 occasions (2 for Dempo and 1 for Churchill Brothers) we have been given this opportunity and playoff qualifiers are very difficult.
    2009 Dempo lost to Sharjah 3-0
    2010 Churchill lost to Al-Wahda 5-2
    2011 Dempo lost to Al-Sadd 2-0.

I just dont see any Indian club, East Bengal or Dempo or Churchill winning in playoffs. We should focus on AFC cup only. Rather we should influence AFC people to keep Indian clubs in AFC group stages with East Asia zone. Arab clubs + Arab Referees is not a good combination and we just do not come out of group stage in AFC cup.