Wim Koevermans

archakarchak 2082 Points
edited June 2012 in Indian Football Team
<font class="Apple-style-span" color="#1D1D1D" face="Arial, Tahoma, Verdana"><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 14px; line-height: 19px;">Over a year after Bob Houghton’s acrimonious exit, the All India Football Federation has, upon the recommendation of technical director Rob Baan, appointed Dutchman Wim Koevermans as coach of the senior national team on a two-year contract. HT caught up with the Euro ’88 winner and player under <div class="story_lft_wid" style="margin-top: 10px; margin-right: 12px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; float: left; width: 200px; "><div id="google_ads_div_ht_story_top_lhs_200x200_ad_wrapper" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><div id="google_ads_div_ht_story_top_lhs_200x200_ad_container" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; display: inline-block; "><ins style="width: 200px; height: 200px; display: inline-table; position: relative; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; "><ins style="width: 200px; height: 200px; display: block; position: relative; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; "><iframe id="google_ads_iframe_ht_story_top_lhs_200x200" name="google_ads_iframe_ht_story_top_lhs_200x200" width="200" height="200" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" style="border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; position: absolute; top: 0px; left: 0px; "></iframe></ins></ins></div></div><div class="gry-line" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-width: 1px; border-top-color: rgb(229, 229, 229); "></div><div class="stry-bot-margin" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 10px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "></div><div class="stry-bot-margin" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 10px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "></div><div class="stry-bot-margin" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 10px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "></div></div>the famous Dutch coach Rinus Michels prior to the official announcement on Friday. Excerpts:<p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 15px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "></p><p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 15px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><strong><br></strong></p><p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 15px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><strong>What kind of a challenge is it for a player from a top football nation such as the Netherlands to coach a country which doesn’t figure anywhere on the global football map?</strong></p><p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 15px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><strong><br></strong>The way I look at it, in the end, it’s just 11 against 11. The size of the pitch, the lines, the rules, they’re all the same. Of course, everything around it is different, but ultimately it’s about people who share the same passion that is football. The sport has taken me to the middle of the jungles in Suriname. One day, we took a boat trip up a river and came across a village where we had to ask the chief if it’s okay to take a look around. He agreed, and one of children led us through the trees. All of a sudden, in the middle of all the sounds of the jungle, we saw in front of us a football pitch, complete with lines and two goals with nets. So, no matter where you are in the world, if there are people who share your passion, you have something in common. As far as India goes, even if the boys are currently at a different level, it doesn’t mean they can’t make progress.</p><p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 15px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><br></p><p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 15px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><strong>You take charge on July 1; your first tournament, the Nehru Cup, kicks off on August 23. How do plan to prepare for it, given the limited time that you have?</strong></p><p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 15px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><strong><br></strong>I feel that the time I have is more than ample. Normally, the Fifa calendar is such that the players are busy with their clubs, so you can only get the national team together for a few days, which means just one or two training sessions. That’s not the case with us – we have a good two weeks together, so it’s a great opportunity for me to get to know the boys, and also for the players because they, too, have to get used to me.<br>But before I officially take over, I’m flying out to Oman to watch the young boys in action (in the AFC under-22 Asian Cup qualifiers). They’re the future, after all. Part of my background is that young players should be given a chance – that’s what we do in Holland. So, if see a couple of youngsters who’re good enough to be a part of the senior team, I’ll try to include them for the Nehru Cup.</p><p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 15px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><strong>How familiar are you with Indian football?<br></strong>Well, I’ve seen some of it on DVDs, including some of the recent matches of the AFC Challenge Cup. Also, having travelled around the world and seen football in some of the Asian countries, I can see the similarities. So I have a fairly good idea about what I can expect, but for me, it’ll mainly start when the preparations for the Nehru Cup start. That’s when I’ll have all the players together, see them every day, talk to them as well as see them on the pitch. That apart, I’ll also be talking to a lot of people, especially those who’ve been part of the Indian setup for a long time.</p><p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 15px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><strong>Tell us about your interactions with Rob Baan on India…<br></strong>When I was a player, he was a coach, for an opposing side! But yeah, since we’re from the same background, we keep talking to each other. He’s given me a lot of information.</p><p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 15px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><strong>Do you plan to travel during the I-League?<br></strong>That’s one of the requirements of my job. I’ll be visiting the clubs and meeting the coaches, and discuss what needs to be done in order to work towards the improvement of Indian football.</p><p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 15px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><strong>Is there a particular style of play that you prefer?<br></strong>You know where I am born? (Smiles) Oranje is in my genes; my style is the Dutch style, we want to attack and we want to have the ball. In fact, if you analyse international football, especially in Europe, the style of a lot of the top teams is to keep the ball as much as possible. The defence is very compact, and tries to win the ball back as quickly as possible. But a lot of it depends on the quality of players, which is where many countries are lacking.</p><p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 15px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">As far as a formation goes, it’s just a system. For me, the style is more important. You have a team like Italy that plays 5-3-2 on one day, 4-4-2 on another and sometimes even 4-3-3; a lot of the top teams these days employ a 4-2-3-1. But it needs to fit the players that you have – you can be as attacking as you want using 4-4-2 and as defensive as you want using 4-3-3. Ultimately, it all boils down to the quality of the players, and what suits them the best.</p><p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 15px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><strong>Will you stick to the existing support staff?<br></strong>I don’t intend to make any changes as of now. I’ll start with the staff that is already here. Of course, if I think adjustments need to be made, I’ll make them.</p><p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 15px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><strong>You were part of the Euro ’88-winning Dutch squad under Rinus Michels. What did you learn from him in terms of coaching philosophy?<br></strong>I would write down everything he said. I spoke to him a couple of times, and used to travel a lot with him and talked to him a lot. I learnt a lot from him, and I got to know about not just his coaching philosophy but also his playing philosophy.</p><p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 15px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><br></p><p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 15px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><br></p><p style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 15px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; "><a href="http://www.hindustantimes.com/ViewsSectionPage/InterviewsSport/Ample-time-to-get-team-ready-for-Nehru-Cup/Article1-873160.aspx">http://www.hindustantimes.com/ViewsSectionPage/InterviewsSport/Ample-time-to-get-team-ready-for-Nehru-Cup/Article1-873160.aspx</a></p></span></font>;

Comments

• rudrarudra 2958 Points
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">What he is saying makes lot of sense, I hope he doesn't go back to the 'we don't have infrastructure' cliche after a while. Right now he seems to be talking about tactics, communicating with clubs, watching youngsters. Perfect</font>
  • reddevil87reddevil87 1858 Points
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Not sure about what future holds but looking at Baan I feel there would be less cry this time. Baan has been with India for last 9 months, but what strikes is that he tries to bring up the best with limited resources and not complain about lack of them. Wim being from same country and appointed by Baan I feel there would be less complaints this time. But, after a long time there is positiveness in the whole scenario. </font>
  • AdminAdmin 240 Points
    <span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><font face="Arial" size="2">"We must play good teams so that we can learn from them," the former Dutch international who was part of the Netherlands team that won the European Championship in 1988, said. <b>business-standard.com</b></font></span><div style="font-weight: normal; "><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><font face="Arial" size="2"><br></font></span></div><div style="font-weight: normal; "><span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); "><font face="Arial" size="2">That's an about turn by the coach in 24 hours.</font></span></div>
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points
    why an about turn?<br>
  • silicon3silicon3 351 Points
    what was d previous staement?<br>
  • AdminAdmin 240 Points
    In his initial statement in the press conference, he said he would like India to play opponents against whom we can throw challenge, the Houghton way
  • akumarrakumarr 3 Points
    reddevil87 wrote: »
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Not sure about what future holds but looking at Baan I feel there would be less cry this time. Baan has been with India for last 9 months, but what strikes is that he tries to bring up the best with limited resources and not complain about lack of them. Wim being from same country and appointed by Baan I feel there would be less complaints this time. But, after a long time there is positiveness in the whole scenario. </font>

<br><div><br></div><div>I completely agree with you mate! Just hope that things start to move forward at a faster pace! :')</div>
  • shankarshankar 2600 Points
    <h1 class="article-title" style="padding: 0px; margin: 8px 0px 10px -2px; font-family: arial; font-size: 23.5px; ">We need to adapt fast: Wim Koevermans</h1><div><br></div><div><p style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 1em; font-family: arial, verdana; font-size: 12px; ">India’s new football coach Wim Koevermans said that the country will have to keep pace with the global changes in the sport and groom talent if it wants to become a competitive force at the international level.</p><p style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 1em; font-family: arial, verdana; font-size: 12px; ">Asked what his perception of Indian football was, Koevermans, who took charge earlier this month, said: “There were some similarities in the style of play with Ireland, the last nation I worked in. But at the international level, the game has changed vastly and we need to implement the same to keep ourselves updated. We need to get accustomed fast and try to develop with a young set of boys,” he said after watching India play in the Under-22 AFC Asian Cup qualifiers in Muscat.</p><p style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 1em; font-family: arial, verdana; font-size: 12px; ">The 51-year-old former Dutch central defender who will officially take charge on Sunday, said: “I am quite pleased with the manner things were conducted on the pitch. Obviously, there are areas of improvement.”</p><p style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px 0px 1em; font-family: arial, verdana; font-size: 12px; "><a href="http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_we-need-to-adapt-fast-wim-koevermans_1708503">http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_we-need-to-adapt-fast-wim-koevermans_1708503</a></p></div>;
  • sanvedjadhavsanvedjadhav 1096 Points
    has wim officially taken over? where in india is he now?<br>
  • archakarchak 2082 Points