Indian Football News Updates

Comments

• samsam 16526 Points
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 10065 Points
    It is not what you can or cannot. It is what you did. And the thought behind.
    goalkeeparmunna219777
  • coolgagancoolgagan 1109 Points
    I League attendances have stabilised. I don't see them growing any further. ISL if it continues in its current avatar will likely stabilise around 13k, all thanks to a few clubs. 
    goalkeeparmunna219777
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India30177 Points

The Indian Football tussle: What is the whole conflict between I-League, AIFF and IMG-Reliance?

The AIFF and the I-League clubs have been at war since the clubs decided to boycott the Super Cup.

Conflicts in Indian football are like noises in a crowded Indian market. They are always present in plenty but not all pass the attention threshold.

Since the launch of the Indian Super League in 2014, unrest has been brewing among stakeholders of Indian football not part of the grand competition. The fear of being sidelined by the advent of the new league was caused moment the competition was announced. Initially, there were attempts to quell the fire, but slowly as the ISL found its feet, the narrative changed.

https://scroll.in/field/928260/the-indian-football-tussle-what-is-the-whole-conflict-between-i-league-aiff-and-img-reliance

indianFootballFansouravindiamunna219777
    Since 1997, coach Thangaraj has been teaching football to scores of kids in Vyasarpadi

Vyasarpadi, a locality in Chennai densely populated with slums, has become synonymous with football. While the rest of India is going crazy over cricket, this sport has become the heart and soul for the children of this area. Each street has witnessed the emergence of its own little Messi, Ronaldo and Beckham. From district-level to nation-level football tournaments, most of them have kept the flag flying high.

On a regular day in the locality, one is sure to spot swarms of children practising football in Mullai Nagar after their school hours. The seed was sown in the late 90s.

Thangaraj, a football coach, founded the organisation SC-STEDS (Slum Children Sports, Talent, and Education Development Society) along with his friends in 1997. His aim was to educate the children through football. So, what propelled him to take the step forward?

“I grew up in a thatched hut in this slum. Since my childhood, I was inclined towards football and my passion helped me become a football coach,” says Thangaraj.

His organisation is home to an international-standard football turf. From humble beginnings, the number of children from slums and low-income neighbourhoods coming to learn football has greatly increased over the decade.  

“It was a challenge for me to bring such children to play. We have rescued many child labourers and given them a new hope through football,” he says.

Once the children gradually found an interest in the sport, Thangaraj and his team instilled the need for education in their minds and proceed to enrol them in schools. Being debt-ridden blue-collar workers, most of their parents were reluctant at first to stop their children from working. However, they would oblige once he explained how their lives would improve once their children landed lucrative jobs after completing their education.

His vision has seen successes in the long run. In part through Thangaraj efforts, Class 10 passing percentage of students went from single digits in 2000 to 99% in 2018. Moreover, the number of neighbourhood girls coming forward to learn football is increasing day by day. “Girls are empowered when they play football. It liberates their minds from the patriarchal nature of the society,” he explains. Seeing his painstaking efforts, many benefactors and NGOs such as CRY (Child Rights and You) had come forward to lend a helping hand.

Affectionately called Thangaraj master, he is a favourite among the children. Many of his students bear testimony to his success. Among them is Surya, a final-year Economics student and a district-level football player. “When I was eight, I was aimlessly playing goli on the streets. Thangaraj master used to constantly pester me to go to school. After I agreed, he enrolled me in a school and encouraged me to play football,” he says. “It’s almost been a decade now. After seeing me, many in my neighbourhood have been encouraged to take up the sport. I myself have brought 10 people to STEDS.”

“I owe my success to Thangaraj master and his team”, says Gokul Prasath, another district-level player, “When I was small, he promised to buy me a ball and brought me to the ground. If I had not discovered football, I would have taken the wrong path.”

The game has garnered a dedicated fan following in Vyasarpadi over the years. During major football tournaments, particularly the World Cup, the residents go gaga and celebrate it like a festival. Cakes are cut and banners are put up on the streets. Last year, the World Cup series was projected on a huge LED screen in the turf for the children. The extent of its popularity is such that many residents have named their children after famous footballers.

The youngest football player in STEDS is a little boy named Maradona

https://www.thenewsminute.com/article/how-football-changed-lives-slum-dwelling-children-chennai-104238

souravindiagiridharanmunna219777

I HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO, ADMITS LALLIANZUALA CHHANGTE

What could a school-going-kid long for after a hectic day? A fancy sports shoe, might be a day out with parents, or maybe a play station, that too in his wildest dreams. But guess what a Mizo kid from a remote village dared to ask his mom? 

Despite of hailing from a not-so-well-to-do family, he dared spread his wings, and asked his mom for permission of pursuing his dreams of becoming a professional footballer. Lalluanzuala Changte was just 14, four years short of earning his voting rights. 

"I was in standard ten then,” Chhangte smiled. “I told my Mom about my dreams. I was desperate. Had the situation demanded, I would not have thought twice before moving out of Mizoram. But I could figure out that she was not at all happy,” Chhangte smiled. 

"It is very hard to be a professional footballer from a village like ours. The biggest achievement has always been to play for the village team. My parents always wanted me to focus on studies. I had already represented my school, but wanted more,” Chhangte revealed. 

He didn’t need to wait for long. Chhangte attended the DSK International Academy trials in Aizawl, moved on to Pune for the second phase of the trials. The rest is history. 

'THE GOAL CHANGED MY LIFE' 

He went on to represent India U-19 in the AFC U-19 Qualifiers. The Senior team call-up for the SAFF Suzuki Championship 2015 followed, and he announced it with two super goals against Nepal. 

"I can't forget the moment. My first International goal against Nepal introduced me to Indian football,” Chhangte got emotional. “Everything around me changed so quickly. I was still in the DSK Academy, and was worried about a professional contract. But my life changed. People started noticing me.” 

So much so, that maestro Sunil Chhetri lifted the young gun on his shoulder after his heroic performance. 

"Playing alongside Chhetri-bhai has always been a great motivation. He took me by surprise when he lifted me on his shoulder. It was something like which I couldn't think of even in my wildest dream,” Chhangte’s emotions took over. 

After the Hero I-League 2015-16 with DSK Shivajians, he joined North East United FC on loan, and went back to the Pune-based club after the Hero ISL season wrapped up. Finally, he was picked by Delhi Dynamos in the Hero ISL draft before the 2017-18 season. 

'I HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO' 

"Coach Constantine tried me as a winger for the first time. I love playing in the wings. Dribbling and outpacing defenders on 1v1 is something I always cherish,” Chhangte, who started his career as a striker, narrated. 

Chhangte admitted that he was ‘broken’ when he failed to make it to the final 23 for the AFC Asian Cup UAE 2019. "I was broken, disappointed. But I realised sitting over that wouldn't help. The moment motivated me. I realised that I hadn’t done enough. I needed to do more,” he pronounced. 

Chhangte is currently sweating it hard at the National team preparatory camp for the Hero Intercontinental Cup next month. 

"I have always dreamt of playing outside India. Playing abroad will help me turn into a better player. I'll, hopefully, go for another trial at Viking FK after the recent National Team commitments get over,” Chhangte informed. 

"But I know, I still have a long way to go. Every day I run an extra yard, take an extra shot in the training session. I want to improve, and be on that Indian squad for AFC Asian Cup China 2023.”

https://the-aiff.com/news-center-details.htm?id=9774

Nagendrakartik91munna219777
  • RonnyRonny 10488 Points
    I am glad that he still has another shot at the trial with Viking FK. He can certainly make it and even become better
    Carbon_14
  • ChelseafanChelseafan Allahabad1655 Points
    Nothing will change unless all the 9 i- league clubs plus all the clubs in i-league division 2 come together to take a united stand against AIFF. The federation can brush aside the protests of a few 5-6 clubs but if all of them unite and raise this issue then the stakes will change. Clubs can either approach Supreme Court or the Sports Ministry or even PMO for direct intervention. I believe the dubious MRA concluded with Reliance plus the recent acts of AIFF clearly shows that it has sold off Indian football to a private entity and is trying to kill other competing players in the game. Thus its legitimacy as the "guardian" of Indian Football has to be questioned and thus tgere is a good case of intervention by the Indian govt to either dissolve AIFF and annull the MRA and start things afresh or intervene in some other way in order to safeguard the interests of clubs. I am sure, going by the questionable acyions of AIFF even FIFA won't object to a govt intervention at this stage. 
    goalkeeparashindia
  • EastBengalPrideEastBengalPride India9301 Points
    That MRA violates FIFA rules.
    souravindia