Indian Football News Updates

Comments

• thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29635 Points

‘Doing far bigger things than what meets the eye’: Praful Patel

Excerpts from an interview:

How do you assess your tenure?

We are confident whatever work has been done in the past eight to 10 years, we will see Indian football on a firm growth trajectory. The emphasis has been to have a strong pipeline of players who will form the nucleus of future national teams, men and women. Since we have focused on this in the last 5-7 years aggressively, we can say with confidence the performance of our national teams will be far better. It’s a very challenging time in Indian football because we were in a state of transition from a marginal to a robust footballing nation.

ISL was launched in your time. But many I-League clubs have gone. Do you regret not saving some of these traditional clubs?

FIFA and AFC both believe that for professional football to be sustainable and for the development of a game within a country, it is very important to have strong leagues backed by enough resources. With ISL, we could bring many new clubs into the football ecosystem. Some clubs have vanished even in the past, it has nothing to do with the ISL launch. Even when there was just the I-League, so many clubs were not able to sustain.

Even in ISL, of the eight founding clubs, three won’t be existing by the start of next season. Clubs continue to suffer losses of over ~30 crore on an average. Where is the evidence that ISL is sustainable?

How does it matter (that three ISL founding clubs won’t exist)? People are coming in. All I am trying to say is things evolve. Should we lower the standards of ISL? It (sustainability) will happen over a period of time. If a good ISL club loses ~ 25-30 crore a year, it is nothing compared to the money teams lose on the global stage.

You said in 2014 that ISL was just a ‘disruptor’ and I-League would always be top-flight. Wasn’t your assurance misleading?

Nothing was misleading. You should focus on the larger things. Don’t judge Indian football from a narrow window. What I said in 2014, I-League at that time was the only league, there was no other league. When the other league came up, then you had to look at the two leagues and judge it with a broader view. Across India football coverage is limited to I-League and ISL, the larger picture is neglected. We can’t talk of football in bits and pieces. For example, when a FIFA U-17 World Cup happens, do you think there is no long-term benefit?

What are the long-term benefits of hosting the U-17 World Cup?

You can’t quantify. There is a pipeline of players available for the future. There are TV viewers, upgradation of infrastructure; there is a cumulative build-up.

Isn’t it AIFF’s job to help build a player pool beyond hosting a FIFA event?

You think we didn’t do anything before the U-17 World Cup? I can’t explain how much of grassroots activity is taking place across the country.

AIFF rushed to build the team for FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup (2020) as there was no team before you got hosting rights?

It is only for girls. Last two years, this (scouting) has been going on. For boys, it was going on for four to five years. I don’t know which other way to do it. My point is if you look at the overall ecosystem, what we are doing is far bigger than what meets the eye. You are only talking about what is the result today. I am talking about what will happen in five years. Indian football will have made a dramatic and radical shift for the better. In the last five years, the whole focus has moved away from the game to ISL and I-League.

Doesn’t what happens in ISL, I-League affect Indian football?

It doesn’t. Which player is getting affected? Any player who wants to play is getting an opportunity to play wherever he chooses. It’s a free market. They get better pay. What is wrong? Why are new clubs coming? Clubs come, clubs go.

We’ve never qualified for a FIFA tournament on merit.

With the things that we are doing, it will eventually happen. Now all age-group leagues, baby leagues are taking place. Once these young players grow up, there will be a steady pipeline.

You once said India can qualify for the 2026 World Cup. Do you believe that can happen when India have qualified for only two Asian Cups since 1984?

Even now I am saying we should aspire to qualify for the 2026 World Cup. Shouldn’t we have aspirations? If there is an 18-20-year-old player and he is doing well, then by 2026 the India team may be able to qualify as there will be an expanded World Cup. Eight teams from Asia will go; if India can break into the top eight, then maybe we can go to the World Cup. There is a cynical view and there is a positive view to it; I am looking at it positively.

How do you look at the work done in women’s football?

So many things have been done. The number of teams participating in the qualifying rounds of the Indian Women’s League has increased. We want to improve IWL. Today an Indian woman (Bala Devi) is playing for Rangers.

How can AIFF claim credit for what one player does?

We can’t take credit but you don’t know how much effort has gone into ensuring this. So tomorrow if (Sunil) Chhetri scores 100 goals, you will say you can’t take credit, the Indian side can’t take credit, only Chhetri can take credit? It’s the Indian team he is playing for. There will be many more players like Bala Devi coming up.

Few state units are proactive when it comes to the women’s game. Some state leagues have just five teams…

We have to be tolerant because all states don’t have resources. We don’t have money that we can give to states. It’s alright; things are getting better. Barring a few, I am happy with most state units.

SAI provides funds to federations, including AIFF, for exposure tours. Can’t these funds be used better domestically?

They don’t allow (funds to be used domestically), what can we do? I would say we should get more money from the sports ministry for promotion of football.

Are there enough jobs for Indian coaches with most clubs preferring foreigners?

Indian coaches will work here or can go abroad. You are giving them a good certificate, a good career opportunity. Not just India, somebody can go to Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka or to central Asian countries also, for example. And there is nothing wrong with bringing in international coaches for clubs.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/football/doing-far-bigger-things-than-what-meets-the-eye-praful-patel/story-okyfxpJK0KuwPGNR3sBvNN.html

• Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9963 Points
    Good questions asked. The interviewer should have physically abused PP.

India is now at 19th in Asia according to FIFA ranking, will lose even against countries upto 25th rank. And he dreams of breaking into top 8. Clubs shutting down left right and centre, yet 'aal iz well' for him. ISL is sustainable according to him. How much bullshit we are going to digest?

somebody should write a true review of PP era in IFN blog so that it appears in google searches.
    goalkeeparEastBengalPridegiridharanmunna219777
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points

In an exclusive interview, Kushal Das, the AIFF general secretary, spoke about the possibility of implementing the 3+1 AFC foreigner rule in ISL and I-League.

• samsam 16428 Points

Three Indian clubs -- FC Goa, ATK-Mohun Bagan, Chennaiyin FC -- will be competing in Asian club football from 2021. Your thoughts on that…

I think it is a wonderful chance for Indian club football to make a mark and improve India’s ranking in Asia. I hope the clubs take advantage and prepare diligently for 2021. India is currently ranked 20th in Asia, which has gone down from 10th in 2019 because of indifferent form by Indian clubs in current AFC club competitions. It is important that clubs also prioritise their performances in Asian club events.

LET'S FOOTBALL

Nagendra
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    They didnt take 2020 seriously. what makes you think that they will take 2021 seriously. Look at Bengaluru performance in AFC Cup 2020. Look at Chennaiyin FC performance in 2019 AFC Cup.
    Deb_BanashindiaPassiSiVNagendra
  • samsam 16428 Points

Indian Football: Why coronavirus will add to I-League clubs’ financial woes in loss-making season

All clubs have players contracted till May, but if the competition stretches into June, it could have significant financial implications.

The COVID-19 outbreak has disrupted football competitions across the globe with all the major European leagues suspended and unlikely to resume any time soon. In India, the I-League, its second-tier football competition is facing a similar fate after the All India Federation decided to suspend the remainder of the campaign till March 31.

As things stand, Mohun Bagan have already wrapped up the title with four round of matches to go, but there is a long list of clubs that have more than a realistic chance of finishing second on the table, a feat that could earn them a place in the group stages of next season’s AFC Cup.

However, with the number of coronavirus cases in the country growing every day, it appears unlikely that the season will be able to resume in early April and the possibility of it stretching beyond the expected closing date is quite high.

Contractual complications

The further postponement could be a big blow to the clubs financially which even in usual circumstances have a struggle on their hands to make ends meet.

AIFF’s plans of staging the IFA Shield in May could come to the rescue of these clubs who accounted for it while handing out contracts for their players.

“As of now, the way things are planned, it won’t be a big problem for us, as the players’ contracts run up to May,” Praveen VC, the CEO of Gokulam Kerala told Scroll.in.

“Since there were plans of an IFA Shield in May in place of the Super Cup, we have the players with us till May. The IFA Shield won’t happen this season, so we are hoping we can use that time for the remaining league matches,” he added.

However, if the league stretches into June and beyond, the clubs could well be in trouble due to the additional costs involved and also the contractual mess it could create for them.

“Playing after May becomes really unviable,” Ranjit Bajaj, owner of Punjab FC told Scroll.in “We will have to assemble almost a new team for just one month. A player may or may not want to sign an extension with the club as it means he can only be transferred once in the entire year that follows. In Indian football, it could be a problem for a player.”

Paying salaries for the players and other staff for an additional month is also going to be problematic for most clubs.

“This has been a season of losses for us due to the delay in getting underway,” Bajaj said.

“We usually have a one and half month pre-season, but this year that was extended to three as we started late in November. So, we have already paid two months’ salaries extra and if we have to do so for an additional month or two, it’s almost equal to our budget for a whole season. That’s a deal-breaker,” he added.

The AIFF is yet to discuss future course of action with the clubs with the communication over the remainder of the season expected to happen on March 31. But considering the current circumstances, it is likely to be pushed to April 15, further delaying the resumption of the season.

With no clarity over the schedule of the remainder of the season, any discussions over a possible financial relief for the clubs by the AIFF in case of postponement of the season into June remains moot.

Not a level playing field?

East Bengal are currently second in the table, level on points with Punjab FC who sit third. However, Churchill Brothers in the eighth position are just three points behind the duo. So there’s still plenty to play for this season for a lot of teams.

However, the teams may not be able to field their strongest teams if the season extends beyond May, a scenario very much possible as things stand.

A team can register a maximum of 30 players in a season and no more than four foreign players. So in case, any of the existing players refuse to sign a one-month extension, teams may not be able to sign players as they may have exhausted their quota. So teams may not be able to display similar form when the season resumes and that would obviously impact the final standings.

“We are in a good position in the league, so obviously we want to return and complete the season,” the Punjab FC owner said.

“But it is a very tricky situation where you may not be able to field a proper team in those games. Some of the clubs may have exhausted their limit of registering players which would make it difficult for them to sign new players if some of the earlier group of players don’t agree to extend,” he added.

Safety first

Despite the possible financial difficulties and contractual mess, the clubs are by no means desperate to get onto the field and are taking strong measures for the safety of its players.

Gokulam Kerala have kept their players in quarantine at their club house and have cancelled training till the end of the month.

“It’s not safe for the players to train or travel at the moment, so we have not scheduled any training for the next week,” Praveen said.

“If the situation improves, we may look at safe places to train for our players next month as travelling to our home ground to train is not advisable,” he added. It is worth noting here that Kerala have since announced a complete lockdown.

Punjab FC have released their players so that they can remain in safe surroundings with their families.

“We are very clear. We don’t want to play until it’s completely safe for us to play. It’s important for the players to be at home with their families, so we have released them. We’ll only call them back when we know when we are resuming,” Bajaj said.

https://scroll.in/field/957011/indian-football-why-coronavirus-will-add-to-i-league-clubs-financial-woes-in-loss-making-season

munna219777
  • samsam 16428 Points
    RIP former India international midfielder Abdul Latif 😔

#IndianFootball https://t.co/EM6LbyCBzn
    munna219777
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29635 Points

Meet N Sivasakthi - The young sensation set to be the next big thing from Tamil Nadu?

The last few years have seen football make massive strides in the state of Tamil Nadu. Chennaiyin FC came into being after the Indian Super League (ISL) was founded in 2014. So did Chennai City FC who shot into prominence after entering the I-League in the 2016-17 season.

With the advent of these two clubs, a lot of footballers from the state got a chance to showcase their talent with the likes of Edwin Vanspaul, Michael Soosairaj, Dhanpal Ganesh, Nandhakumar Sekar and Michael Regin all getting their share of the limelight.

Then there was Sethu FC who won the Indian Women's League in 2019. The Tamil Nadu state junior girls team also won the national title. A lot of academies opened up, participation in the youth leagues and baby leagues saw an increase, especially in Chennai. One such academy was the Raman Vijayan Soccer School (RVSS), founded by former India striker Raman Vijayan, four years back.

RVSS might just have unearthed the next big thing from the state in N Sivasakthi - an 18-year-old who has been earning rave reviews for his performances in the All Indian Football Federation (AIFF) Elite League, Reliance Foundation Youth Sports (RFYS) and other youth level tournaments.

Sivasakthi, who hails from a humble background in Karaikudi (Southern Tamil Nadu), is a beneficiary of RVSS' policy of giving full scholarships to promising kids who are not well off financially. He has been at the academy from the start and is the crown jewel in their U18 team for the last three years.

Sivasakthi's goalscoring exploits for RVSS have seen him shoot into the limelight and his numbers have been getting better every year. In the 2017-18 season in the Elite League, he scored 10 goals in 12 games before scoring 22 goals from 12 matches in the 2018-19 season. In the ongoing season, his tally stands at 17 goals before the season was curtailed due to the coronavirus outbreak.

He has been averaging well over a goal per game - numbers that are clearly impressive. And he has been replicating the feat in school-level and college-level tournaments as well. He represented JJ Government Boys Higher Secondary School as part of a partnership with RVSS who arrange for their wards' education at school and college level. Sivasakthi has completed his schooling and is currently in his first year at Christ College of Arts and Science.

"He has been our main player not just in the Elite League but he has been playing well in other tournaments also like the Reliance Foundation Youth Sports and the national school and collegiate tournaments. Even in the toughest tournaments, if we play 6-7 games, he would’ve scored 8-10 goals and will feature in the topscorers’ list," said Raja Rajan, the head coach at RVSS, who is incidentally the elder brother of former Chennai City FC midfielder Sinivasan Pandiyan.

He was the golden boot winner in the RFYS football tournament in the senior boys category with nine goals during the 2018-19 season. Significantly, RVSS crashed out in the group stages but that was enough for the 18-year-old to top the scoring charts.

Raja Rajan feels Sivasakthi's most impressive aspect is his humbleness and discipline on and off the pitch. "He always scores. But more importantly, he’s a good, humble, and dedicated player. He is very disciplined. His ability has not got into his head. His character and attitude is very much down-to-earth and it is tough to see players like him who do not let their game get to their heads," he said.

Though he is not an imposing figure physically, Sivasakthi's style of play is suited to his stature. He is a brilliant dribbler, has excellent close control, agility and a lethal change of pace. He is not just a goalscorer and has an eye for the killer pass as well and often creates chances for his teammates. He is not a typical number nine and can play all across the front three and even as an attacking midfielder through the centre.

He still has to develop his muscle strength and positioning required to be a top striker. But Sivasakthi has what it takes to match up to bigger defenders, feels his coach.

"Though he does not have physique, he holds his own against bigger defenders. That is because he has been playing against physically stronger defenders for a long time now and has been scoring goals against them. So I don't think it is going to be an issue. For his playing style, his physique will not be a huge problem," said Raja Rajan.

Sivasakthi's ability to lead a relatively weaker team and his winning mentality has been lauded by his coach, along with his ability to conjure up moments of magic.

"Our team was heavily dependent on him. Last year, we had a very average team. We would always concede despite scoring. Sivasakthi would always bail us out with late and crucial goals even when we concede. He has that winning mentality.

"He would score a lot of surprising goals. He would dribble past 4-5 players suddenly and conjure a goal out of nothing or score one from a scarcely believable angle. Last year against Chennaiyin FC in the Elite League, he dribbled past four players from the midfield and placed a nice finish into the net. Against Tata Football Academy, he scored almost a zero angle goal after dribbling past two players on the touchline. Even in the RFYS tournament, he scored a couple of unbelievable goals."

Such has been his brilliance in the age category tournaments that several I-League and ISL teams have already registered their strong interest in him. Clearly, if Sivasakthi continues to improve at this rate and keep his head down and work hard in what are a crucial few years ahead, we could very well have a serious talent on our hands.

Given the dearth of natural goalscorers among Indian players, there needs to be more encouragement given to players like Sivasakthi who have an impressive goalscoring record in junior tournaments.

https://www.goal.com/en-cm/news/meet-n-sivasakthi-youngster-tamil-nadu-next-big-raman/uy2ilke0unwv15rxmlo7lclgd

RonnySiVtrojangiridharanmunna219777
  • SiVSiV 1853 Points
    edited March 2020
    Remember the name guys..   Sivasakthi... Been tracking him for 3 years ..  He scores even when the entire team plays badly...   natural goal scorer ..   Rough diamond

RVSS is looking for a foreign club,  who will sponsor him there & help him to reach the next level...

Good decision considering the fact that most isl & ilgue clubs deploy foreign strikers & would consign him to bench...  I wanted  him to play for ccfc in Ileague next season...  
    thebeautifulgamemunna219777The real AG