Indian Football News Updates

Comments

• munna219777munna219777 28505 Points

Fifa looks to extend footballers’ contracts in coronavirus shutdown

Sport’s governing body also considers shifting dates of transfer windows

Fifa is drawing up plans to extend player contracts until the end of delayed domestic seasons and shift transfer window dates, as global football responds to the coronavirus shutdown. The sport’s international governing body is looking at how to restructure the contracts of thousands of players and coaches worldwide. It has also recommended that transfer windows — when players can move between clubs — should be extended to fit new season dates, according to a Fifa document seen by the Financial Times.

• thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29635 Points

Football: More Mumbai players in Indian team, but is the city doing enough for the game to thrive?

Keegan Pereira was the only Mumbaikar to play for India between 2011-’19 but as many as three players are part of the senior team at present.

For nearly a decade, Mumbai footballers struggled to break into the Indian national team. In 2011, Steven Dias and Abhishek Yadav were both part of the national team set-up but since then only Borivali-born Keegan Pereira played for the country between 2015-’16, making just four appearances in all.

Fast forward to now, things seem to be shaping up better for Mumbai footballers in the new era under India coach Igor Stimac.

Rahul Bheke, Farukh Choudhary, Raynier Fernandes have been in the mix for a while and veteran centre-back Pratik Chaudhari has also received a first-call up after being named in the probables list for India’s World Cup qualifier against Qatar at home (which remains postponed).

The growing influx of Indian players in the national set-up may hint that Mumbai football is on the rise again but is that really what’s happening?

https://scroll.in/field/957475/indian-football-with-more-players-making-the-india-team-is-mumbai-on-the-rise-again

munna219777giridharan
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29635 Points
    The power of football...something that gives us hope in these dark and dreary times (both the reports are from Scroll.in, which has been lauded in IFN for its unbiased and investigative journalism in sports)

1. Tulsida Balaram asserts how the general public still reveres him for his football exploits even though he had to resign as a national selector and was unfairly deprived of his Padma Shri award because of his uncompromising nature

Power of football

What keeps him going is his tendency to look at the other side of the coin. “I helped India win a gold medal nearly 60 years ago. People haven’t forgotten me yet.

“When I visit government offices, they treat me with huge respect. In local markets, shopkeepers don’t even bother to count when I hand over the money after buying something. If I insist, they say please, come on Balaram-da, we know who you are.

“Now, do you think Padma Shri or any other award really matters in my life anymore? I was a village boy from the south, who came to play football in Bengal more than six decades ago. Since then, I have fallen in love with this soccer crazy state. I am still their favourite footballer,” says Balaram proudly.

https://scroll.in/field/955015/tulsidas-balaram-one-of-indian-footballs-finest-strikers-with-an-uncompromising-sense-of-propriety

2. Sharda Ugra ,Senior Editor at ESPNcricinfo and ESPN India and sports journalist for more than three decades, wonders why India's superstar athletes have largely chosen to remain silent regarding the protests against the CAA and NRC and asserts that it is Indian football--footballers as well as football fans--which has addressed this issue

Of all the sports in India, it appears that football, given its history, structure and place in the pecking order, is empowered with agency. In Kerala’s Malappuram, during the region’s most famous Sevens football tournament in December, an entire stadium broke out into the protest with azaadi chant being played over the public address system.

Less than a month later, the always-heated East Bengal-Mohun Bagan derby in Kolkata attracted a crowd of 63,756 that unfurled the largest protest posters and banners seen at a sports event in the country. The clubs are historic rivals, always divided between their East and West Bengali identities and culture, hurling abuse at each other, known for spectator violence in the past. Under the government’s citizenship laws though, they were to find common cause. In these varied protests were heard echoes of the words of US footballer Megan Rapinoe, “If you have power or influence or platform, use it.” The Indian football fan certainly knew which platforms to use and how.

https://scroll.in/article/954199/why-indias-superstar-athletes-are-missing-from-the-caa-nrc-conversation-and-why-thats-not-okay

• samsam 16428 Points

Igor Stimac was at home in the coastal city of Split, some 400km from Zagreb when the earthquake hit Croatia’s capital on March 22. “We didn’t feel anything here,” says the India football coach. “But we were very sad watching our people living in fear and disbelief on the streets of Zagreb. Need to thank God that all in my family is safe.”

The 5.3-magnitude earthquake was the most severe to hit Zagreb since 1880, according to Croatia’s Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic. It disrupted social distancing plans to contain coronavirus and damaged over 26,000 buildings including the Zagreb Cathedral and the Croatian Parliament.

Like India, Croatia is combating the virus with a nationwide lockdown for the past two weeks. “We are at home, not going anywhere. Everything is closed,” says Stimac, 52, in an interview to Hindustan Times. “The only way of winning the war against Covid-19 is to be patient and disciplined.”

Derby missed, plans shelved

The importance of Sandesh

Rathi impressive

Samad must play more

Living on a jet plane

Longer ISL soon

Impressed with Prabir, a warrior who can play: Igor Stimac

Wouldn’t have conceded against Bangladesh and Afghanistan if Sandesh was in the team, says India coach.

https://m.hindustantimes.com/football/impressed-with-prabir-a-warrior-who-can-play-igor-stimac/story-WBPwah0Rq1lY2gsEHP9gNP_amp.html?__twitter_impression=true
  • RonnyRonny 10457 Points
    Good to see that he is interested in the players who will add value to the team like Prabir, Seriton and Sumit Rathi. Rathi might even upstage Narender one day and who knows Suresh does the same for Amarjit
    BrainFallINDIA
  • EastBengalPrideEastBengalPride India9297 Points
    Prabir Das should replace Uganda on right wing but FF lobby will try their best to block that. 
    [Deleted User]SiV

With commercial international flights suspended, David Robertson, son Mason and wife Kim are waiting on the UK government to employ evacuation measures to take them back home.

Football will be totally different when it eventually resumes after the coronavirus outbreak, the head of global soccer body FIFA Gianni Infantino said on Thursday.

• goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29259 Points
    They are more safe in india then they will ever be in UK 
    atuljg