2012-13 I-League Round 17

Comments

• DomnicDomnic 2309 Points

No idea. But since the organisation of the matches is entrusted to the GFA by all four clubs, so i think the GFA will arrange security.

• Alright. Just saw the Pailan Arrows - Shillong Lajong match. Here is my two cents on it.

First off, Pailan Arrows should move to Kalyani. The artificial pitch and the lack of any real crowd at all cant do anything splendid for the small club in terms of their ability to play and their moral. On a grass pitch it will be easier for the young players to develop as the grass pitch will allow for a much more "straight pass" and will provide easier bounces to deal with and the small capacity will turn even a 5,000 capacity crowd into a 20,000 capacity crowd. I really do hope Pailan consider this.

As for the match. Shillong Lajong, the style of play was exposed. Many people would go with the words most commonly used when talking about the club... "Long balls" but I would like to be more descriptive and say that Shillong Lajong's play was irksome, deplorable, and sterile. I had barely noticed any source of offensive creative ability from Shillong Lajong until there new Japanese recruit and could be hero Taisuke Matsugae came on. The new signing from the Japanese 3rd Division Japanese Football League became an instant visible presence in the Lajong offense. Getting the ball, skillfully monovering himself to get around the Pailan defender and also getting a couple chances on target. It is obvious that this player will be very essential to Lajong's survival hopes this season.

The only players that Lajong are missing is a good foreign midfielder and a good attacker to partner Taisuke. Sushil Singh is not suitable enough. He can be the impact sub but he cant be an impact starter. Minchol and Passah already make the defense good. They have no one in midfield though to transition the ball from defense to attack. Taisuke had to track back a lot to get the ball and then try to make runs to the goal. That won't work 90% of the time unless your Messi or a legend like Billy Bremner.

And now with Desmond Bulpin gone we could hopefully see a new change occur at Lajong. A change that could see a more "skillful" and more disciplined style of football and perhaps the introduction of at least 2 players. 

As for Pailan Arrows. This was not good enough for me. Don't even get me started on the uniform. Whoever thought of that grotesque design and colours? The style of play was also to obvious that even my high-school team would have read them and taken them apart. Get the ball, pass to the midfield, pass to the wing. Run to the box. Cross or pass to the middle. Shoot. Repeat. It is just to simple. No wonder teams like Churchill Brothers were able to carve through Pailan. They obviously have the skill set to be successful but the playing style is still lacking that clinical touch. I am confident that Papas can implement that into these U23 brains.

Overall it was a decent performance for Pailan Arrows. One in which they could be said to have been exposed in but luckily braved it out for the dirty 3 points. One would hope that the next matches for these two sides can be much better as it is obvious that these two sides have enormous potential to be very exciting.
  • reddevil87reddevil87 1858 Points

Nice points about Shilong Lajong and Pailan Arrows. ( I was planning to right about Pailan arrows for long time but lazzy to type :()

I will directly come to Pailan Arrows, Midfield is very strong. I can even say the best in lower half teams. But defense and forwards collectively lacking badly. Though with experience they can improve. Given it is U-23 team with majority being U-19, we can bear with the lack of maturity. 

Talking about forwards, India is seriously in dearth of good forwards and it seems near future also the problem will still exist.  No where they will be able to develop in the likes of odafas, Akrams, etc.They are good but not exceptional and tremendously lack in mental and physical qualities, eventhough we take into account that they are around 19-20 years old. The amount of chances created by midfield and conversion ratio give the true picture. In addition to that, the dismal quality is visible from the fact majority of last few rounds goals were scored from set pieces by defenders (thanks to tactics of Papas). Even when Nazary scored majority of them were from rebounds where he just needs to tap in. If memory serves me right, even the fear about quality of forwards was discussed by @rudra@gaffertape, etc in the beginning of the season and yes the fear is turning into reality. 

Defense, thank god, we are not as bad as forwards. They make mistake but mostly due to lack of concentration. This will get rectified with maturity. Physically they are monster, wonder if groomed properly they can really develop fear in any opponents. Though they are not better than 1st season defense, but are good enough to compare with them (1st season was better). I really like to mention how Vishal has matured from first season, but mind it a long way to go to get selected in NT. I am sure Papas will help them grow in better players.  

The best, midfield, the highlight of the arrows program has to be the midfield. We now really have a future bench in this department, where even the bench players can tear apart the opponents with their passing. Technically they are superb. With maturity, they can be future weapon. Going by last match, Prabir Das a man to watch out for. Alongwith, milan, alwyn, tirthankar, shajju, etc, we can really afford to have a very good midfield for more than one team. 

Overall, 3 and half star (out of 5) for this year team (till now) with positive being midfield and goalkeeping. Neutral-Defense. Huge let down - forwards (no respite in future NT also).
  • ashindiaashindia 9254 Points

Just fail to understand why we are so bad in Forward department.Ever since the beginning of 20th century we have never produced those strikers of caliber we had before.

• JoyptanJoyptan 295 Points

ashindia
    Just fail to understand why we are so bad in Forward department.Ever since the beginning of 20th century we have never produced those strikers of caliber we had before.

Because of over depending on foreign strickers.

Now if a midfielder have a chance to pass the ball to his teams foreign & indian stricker he will 99 out of 100 give the ball to the foreign stricke.

And our indian strickers know that. That why the try to go deep in the midfield or go wide in the wings to help the team. By doing that overtime they lose the strickers instingt and their conversion rate goes down.

At youth level our strickers do well but as soon as the come up to senior level and start to play alongside a foreign stricker,their performence as a stricker goes down insted of improving.

• > ashindia said:
    > Just fail to understand why we are so bad in Forward department.Ever since the beginning of 20th century we have never produced those strikers of caliber we had before.

It is very perplexing because, like @reddevil87 said, these guys are getting plenty of chances that despite their young ages that they should put them a way. Just because you are 19 does not mean you are retarded and cant put in a ball past a keeper from 6-12 yards away.

I think the problem is scouting. I dont know why but whenever I read the results of random All India Youth tournaments I always hear of 1-2 young players, aged 12-16, who managed to somehow score over 5 goals in one game and consistently do that throughout the tournament. For example, Daniel Lalhlimpuia, he scored over 15 goals a game (LITERALLY) in some Punjabi tournament a few months ago. But unlike Daniel most of them are probably never scouted.

Think about it, how many times have we heard about this young player scoring this many goals in a tournament but then you never hear of them again. Thankfully that seems to be over with the U16s and U14s having great forwards like Daniel, Uttam and whoever is on the AIFF Academy side. 

So we should see a change again soon but till then try holding on.
  • > Joyptan said:
    > > ashindia
    > > Just fail to understand why we are so bad in Forward department.Ever since the beginning of 20th century we have never produced those strikers of caliber we had before.

>
    > Because of over depending on foreign strickers.
    >
    > Now if a midfielder have a chance to pass the ball to his teams foreign & indian stricker he will 99 out of 100 give the ball to the foreign stricke.
    >
    > And our indian strickers know that. That why the try to go deep in the midfield or go wide in the wings to help the team. By doing that overtime they lose the strickers instingt and their conversion rate goes down.
    >
    > At youth level our strickers do well but as soon as the come up to senior level and start to play alongside a foreign stricker,their performence as a stricker goes down insted of improving.

What about the ones on Pailan Arrows. So many chances yet barely any goals. For the first 16 games the main attackers for Pailan for George Alwyn and Holicharan Narzary. Between them they got 5 goals. 16 games each and 5 goals total. Perspective.
  • JoyptanJoyptan 295 Points
    edited January 2013

Just playing as a main stricker won't make u a top stricker you have to have some inbuilt talent in u to become a top player.

If len playes in arrows for 2 or 3 years he will be the answer to indian stricker woes. He has got every thing to be a top stricker just needs polishing.

• > Joyptan said:
    > Just playing as a main stricker won't make u a top stricker you have to have some inbuilt talent in u to become a top player.
    >
    > If len playes in arrows for 2 or 3 years he will be the answer to indian stricker woes. He has got every thing to be a top stricker just needs polishing.

Perhaps. I wont give up on any of these kids yet but for example Seminlen, we say he will be huge, but still cant he just score from 6 yards out? Same with everyone else on Pailan. At least the rest of the player have an excuse.

Manandeep Singh for example can say that he is playing an unfavorable second-striker. At Air India he was the main man and he demonstrated his abilities but at East Bengal it is all Edeh and Manandeep cant do it. At Pailan Manandeep was behind Jeje and only scored 1 goal for them.