I League Player Transfers News & Rumors 2013-14

Comments

• kali007kali007 0 Points
    Don't know why people have a pop at the Africans in the I-league. Aren't they the top goal scorers and defenders. More than good enough for this league.
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    kali007 wrote: »
    Don't know why people have a pop at the Africans in the I-league. Aren't they the top goal scorers and defenders. More than good enough for this league.

<br><div><br></div><div>They don't improve the league though. Look at where we are and say that again.</div>
  • sunnysunny 207 Points
    Where will manandeep singh play next season
  • sunnysunny 207 Points
    Where is vimal pariyar

<br><div><br></div><div>They don't improve the league though. Look at where we are and say that again.</div>

<br><div><br></div><div>I think the Indians players have to improve to improve the league. I have no problem with these Africans who as strikers and defenders perform better, now if they are less effective than their Indian counterpart then i can understand.</div>
    edited August 2013
    <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">That is not the point though. While I agree on the fact that the Indians need to get better to improve the league, the better foreigners give a better look to the league.</font><div style="font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;"><br></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">It looks better for us to have guys like Carlos Hernandez, Cornell Glen, Eurípedes Amoreirinha, Billy Mehmet, Simon Colosimo, John Johnson, and Curtis Osano etc as it is easier to market these players and to attempt to try and lure some more people to watch the I-League.</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">No one wants to watch a couple of Nigerians who came in straight from the Nigerian amateur leagues or who don't even have a background to fall back on but then tell someone that "Hey, go look at our club where we have with a former Manchester City and Australia international as well as a former Republic of Ireland U21 international" then that is progress. It would appeal to more people.</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Also it would help more young Indians to get inspired to take up the game professionally. Before, if a young Indian watched or followed the Indian league all they would see is a bunch of Indians getting out-classed by these random African players who may or may not be in their mid-30s. Now they will look at the league and see Indians playing alongside guys who have played at a high level before, who have played in the Premier League, and who have been in World Cups.</font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2"><br></font></div><div><font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">It is not just about the quality on the field but also what these new foreigners bring to the table in terms of the off-field aspect and marketing and thus why we take the piss out of the random Nigerians. If there is a guy in the Japanese 2nd tier who is doing well there and is barely making more than the average I-League player then why not get him over the Nigerian who just randomly showed up from no where. </font></div>
    I also want players from top leagues to play in India but be real those 7 names you mentioned as what they bring off the field to a fan is not much unless what they do on the field. I'm a big football fan but those name do nothing for me and so i don't think many casual fans would care. who has more appeal in India those guys or Ranti Martins.<div><br></div>
    edited August 2013
    I also want players from top leagues to play in India but be real those 7 names you mentioned as what they bring off the field to a fan is not much unless what they do on the field. I'm a big football fan but those name do nothing for me and so i don't think many casual fans would care. who has more appeal in India those guys or Ranti Martins.<span style="font-size: 10pt;">
    </span><div><span style="font-size: 10pt;"><br></span></div><div>Ranti Martins I don't consider a random African though. He was a player at a good Nigerian Academy and played youth football in Ghana and was even considered for the Ghana youth set-up.</div><div><br></div><div>It is all about now how they are marketed. I still stick to what I said about these seven guys and how they can increase the appeal of the league (you don't need big big players for this as much as everyone says so... do not make me bring my examples back into this because you know what the example will be). Now it depends on how the league and clubs choose to market these guys. Obviously you are not going to attract fans if you don't market the team properly.</div><div><br></div><div>If you make a billboard and put a picture of some random African that just says "Come join the Bengaluru FC stampede (I can do better) and support Adibaba Omeyama as we take on Mohun Bagan this Saturday at 7:30 pm" then barely anyone will notice and less will care. Now, if you have a billboard with a picture of say John Johnson and put "Come join the Bengaluru FC stampede and support former English Premier League defender John Johnson as we take on Mohun Bagan this Saturday at 7:30 pm" (and of course the picture should be him in a Middlesbrough kit with the Premier League symbol showing) and there will be eyes who notice. </div><div><br></div><div>Of course I am not saying that Bengaluru would be guaranteed 15,000 fans a game now just because of this one player but that there will be maybe 1,000-3,000 more fans than usual show up at the matches. No one is going to go crazy obviously but more people will notice. Now of course that is only half of it. Next half is getting these people to stay and watch more matches and that is a whole different conversation which would involve a better match-day experience, what you said in terms of better Indians etc etc.</div><div><br></div><div>Also, going back to the young Indians. What if Dempo for example holds a camp for youngsters. Would they rather have the main guests by Jeje Lalpekhlua and Koko Sakibo or Jeje Lalpekhlua and Simon Colosimo, a former Australian international and former Manchester City player? The choice is easy and that should inspire the kids that if they work hard enough they could be able to play against or with Australian internationals and former World Cuppers.</div><div><br></div><div>I understand what you are saying... we will never truly open the eyes of the Indian population to the I-League until we get the icons like Thierry Henry or on a lower scale an Obafemi Martins but, at the same time, we can still get a substantial amount of fans by getting the players we are getting now and marketing them well. If we don't do that then there is no point. </div>
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points
    lot of explanations. All I could read - "I just don't like African players"
    edited August 2013
    rudra wrote: »
    lot of explanations. All I could read - "I just don't like African players"

<br><div><br></div><div>Curtis Osano is Kenyan. It is not Africans but more specifically the Africans who don't have a history at all or who we don't know anything about except that they could be over-30 and say they are in their 20s for years.</div><div><br></div><div>Amos Omeje for example. Other than the fact that he is supposedly 25 and that he MAY have played for Southern Samity we don't know anything else about the guy. Also how can you market these guys to people or use them to inspire other kids. They have done nothing big other than play in I-League and take a place that an Indian could have. Of course there are exceptions who have done well done well in the league like Odafa and Bello Razaq.</div>
This discussion has been closed.