I League Player Transfers News & Rumors 2013-14

Comments

• ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    Joyptan wrote: »
    Thats a good point you made @munna219777 . Some are saying the players the clubs are getting are better than "Random Africans" atleast the are not as unknown as those "Random Africans". but how known are the players to Random Indian people like Cornell Glen, Eurípedes Amoreirinha, Billy Mehmet, Simon Colosimo, John Johnson, and Curtis Osano. Arn't the random enough for normal Indians?

<br><div><br></div><div>Well I said this before but I will say it again...</div><div><br></div><div>There are many parts to this. You sign these players, good. Now it is up to the club and the league to take advantage of them and market them well. Look, last season Prayag United signed Carlos Hernandez, a former World Cup player, and international, and a top player in the A-League and what did we do? There was barely any marketing, the AIFF did nothing to get the word out. </div><div><br></div><div>And this has been a problem all the clubs have been talking about, we do not market the league well at all. When you get World Cup players and former top Premier League or Euro players in the I-League you should milk that shit to the top of your ability.</div><div><br></div><div>And I do not buy this argument that we need a Drogba or a Beckham to get more fans because we are not getting them for years and years and years. And the reason I say that is because of the league that people here I guess do not like when I mention it... MLS. There are so many teams in MLS that do not have an Henry type, a Beckham type, or even a bloody Obafemi Martins type. They have normal players and we still draw well. Why? Because we market our sides good and we actually make the experience good for the fans. And this was before the boom the league had around 2009-2010.</div><div><br></div><div>Okay, I am not saying we will draw 15,000-20,000 a game with these players like Hernandez or Johnson but we can still hope to one day, in a few seasons, draw an average... a league wide average even, or 10,000 a game. It is possible but it depends on how much the clubs take initiative. The clubs have signed the players, now they need to do the rest.</div>
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points
    edited August 2013
    what kind of marketing with Hernandez? Prayag did put the word out...even during Durga Puja (kolkata's biggest festival) there were posters of prayag featuring hernandez....what do u expect? People in Kolkata stop following their club and the other epl , la liga stuff to cheer for Prayag United's overweight world cupper? funniest thing i have heard....and who exactly in India gives a damn about A-League or Costa Rica?
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points
    american market and indian football market is massively different. What works in us can't just work the same way...people have very different living standards here, and thus, very different priorities and fan culture. one cant just put the same model. secondly mls and i league cant be compared as mls has lots to offer apart from the players signed, now if we cant give all that and just compare the player signing model and expect similar results, that would be a insult to economists
    edited August 2013
    rudra wrote: »
    what kind of marketing with Hernandez? Prayag did put the word out...even during Durga Puja (kolkata's biggest festival) there were posters of prayag featuring hernandez....what do u expect? People in Kolkata stop following their club and the other epl , la liga stuff to cheer for Prayag United's overweight world cupper? funniest thing i have heard....and who exactly in India gives a damn about A-League or Costa Rica?

<br><div><br></div><div>Oh great... posters in a 5-day marketing scheme.</div><div><br></div><div>Do some more long-term marketing. I want to see more from the clubs. If they are going to sign these players then they need to do a lot more than this, otherwise they can go back to the Opara's and Yakubu's of the world.</div>
  • JoyptanJoyptan 295 Points
    edited August 2013
    IMO here in India we don't have a club culture ,we like us as a nation to do well. To get more people in to Indian football we need to play more international matches. Even if we lose those matches , indian football will get all india media coverage. But for an club to get all india media attention that club will need to win AFC Cup even that might not be enough.
    Joyptan wrote: »
    IMO here in India we don't have a club culture ,we like us as a nation to do well. To get more people in to Indian football we need to play more international matches. Even if lose those matches , indian football will get all india media coverage. But for an club to get all india media attention that club will need to win AFC Cup even that might not be enough.

<br><div><br></div><div>Not surprising. India is developing it slowly IMO. The IPL is entering what... its 7th season.</div><div><br></div><div>The Indian people are used to this because that is all you guys are exposed to really. You never really had a top club competition before the IPL. Others tried and failed (like football and hockey) but they are not cricket.</div><div><br></div><div>I say that in 5-10 years there will be a good club culture in India. It will take time. Hell, even the Indian players are not used to this. Virat Kholi complained about being booed by Mumbai Indian fans saying that his own people were booing him. This is something he will need to get used to. It happens all around the world. Wayne Rooney is booed by every non-United fan. It will happen soon.</div>
    american market and indian football market is massively different. What works in us can't just work the same way...people have very different living standards here, and thus, very different priorities and fan culture. one cant just put the same model. secondly mls and i league cant be compared as mls has lots to offer apart from the players signed, now if we cant give all that and just compare the player signing model and expect similar results, that would be a insult to economists

<br><div><br></div><div>That is true... I could always go back to the 1960s or the 1990s where the soccer culture in America was worse, if not exactly the same, as the Indian football culture today.</div>
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points
    Its no point explaining. If things have been so easy that someone not rooted here can just come to facebook/forum and give the solutions, things would have changed long back.<div><br></div><div>There is this huge misconception than people back here lack the brains to understand what exactly needs to be done and thus can't do it. People seriously need to do a real market survey (not those online one's) before they can say "I want to see more"</div>
  • JoyptanJoyptan 295 Points
    No! No comparison or example with Crickets IPL please. Crickets IPL isn't getting crowd because of itself but because of Cricket which indian people like because of its scucsess in international matches and tournaments.
  • rudrarudra 2958 Points

<br><div><br></div><div>That is true... I could always go back to the 1960s or the 1990s where the soccer culture in America was worse, if not exactly the same, as the Indian football culture today.</div>

<br><div><br></div><div>not talking about football culture. just the standard of living etc, because at the end this is what dictates how a sports culture will develop. Football people in India just cant say we need to have a football culture like XYZ, they rather are compeled to see, this is how our people are, this is how sports work in india, this is how fans behave in india and thus, taking all these into account we need to offer a product which they can swallow, or they will just spit it out</div>
This discussion has been closed.