India in Rio Olympics 2016

Comments

• samsam 16429 Points
    Yogeshwar Dutt's bronze in 2012 London Games to be changed to silver after doping allegations strip deceased Besik Kudukhov of medal.
    munna219777EastBengalPridenamewtheldthebeautifulgamedeepu
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    edited September 2016
    Guys,as we all know the Biggest Sporting Spectacle"RIO OLYMPICS 2016" just concluded where India Finished at 67th place with 1 Silver and 1 Bronze Medal.

It was a Very Very Disappointing performance to say the least.I just wanted to share my opinion with respect to the Sports where we participated.

1)SHOOTING-Winning no medals,surely has to go down as the Biggest Failure of the Olympics for us.Shooting Association has taken the Responsibility which in my opinion was the least which they could have done.
    Even our experienced/In form Shooters crumbled big time under pressure.Very Disappointing.

2)WRESTLING-
    Another Disappointment in General.Ladies were the only Saving Grace specially Sakshi Malik and Vinesh Phogat(Unlucky).I still feel Sakshi outperformed herself but i am not complaining.Vinesh and Sakshi will be the flagbearers on Indian Wrestling in future as both are really young and talented.The thing that troubled me was that none of our MALE Wrestlers managed to win a single bout including Yogeshwar.Overall,disappointing performance.

3)BADMINTON-Perhaps the only Sport where we over achieved according to me
    .Great performance by Sindhu and more than Creditable Performance from Srikanth.
    Saina Nehwal disappointed me.One more thing which irritates me is that we give excuses after we have lost like i was  injured.If you are injured before match than why play it.Do like Chinese player LI XUERI,she did take the field to play her Bronze Medal Match at all.Saina,surely wasn't injure during the match like Vinesh, so why take the field and give excuse later.If you are taking the court,that means you feel you can win so if you get defeated then don't give these lame excuses.Overall,Badminton had the Best Performance.

4)ARCHERY-
    Poor performance overall.Same Old problems of Nervous Breakdown,wind Condition etc.Enough of this crap.Failure at crunch situations cost us but its the same old problem.
    Only Atanu Das in my opinion looked promising and consistent.Ladies look to shoot well in patches which is not good at this level.

5)BOXING-
    Nothing much to say.Okayish performance considering the mess our federation is in.

6)GYMNASTICS-A great effort by the DIPA.We all know,how much problems she would have faced.Although i personally expected a medal but really a tremendous Achievement by her nonetheless.She is the Symbol of Hardwork and Will Power.She surely is a medal contender for future Games.

7)HOCKEY-
    Women's result was as expected.
    Men's Team was good in patches and played decently.Top 6 finish could have been more ideal but we"ll have to be content with 8th.Improvement is for all to see.All our Matches were close and infact we were the Only team in the competition to beat Argentina(Gold Medallist).We are certainly a team on the up and i am repeating myself that come 2018 onwards ,we will have huge stakes in MEDALS OF GLOBAL HOCKEY COMPETITIONS LIKE WORLD CUP,OLYMPICS ETC.

8)LAWN TENNIS-All our Tennis Players are Egoistic which is for all to see.Even the likes of Rohan and Sania are Egoistic players in my opinion.Overall,Disappointing performance in Lawn Tennis.

9)ATHLETICS-Largely Disappointing.Only Lalita Babar deserves a special Mention.Good performance by her where she bettered National Record by around 8 seconds.

10)ROWING-Excellent performance by DATTU finishing 13th.Considering he was given a coach only 4 months before the Olympics,this is one of the Performance of the Olympics in my opinion for us.

11)GOLF-
    Both Men's and Women's event were very bad.
    Aditi Ashok is being given too much attention then she deserves.She finished 41st.I agree she was top 6 in around the half way mark but surely that is no parameter.In Shooting,Abhinav lost a medal in a shoot off(that is the level of the competition) ,so being in top 6 at half way stage is nothing.

12)JUDO-Avtar did well to qualify.That's IT!!!!!
    Nothing much to say except my name i.e BAD.

13)TABLE TENNIS-Both men and Women out in the First Round.Nothing much to say except my name i.e BAD.

14)WEIGHTLIFTING- Mirabai Chanu was unlucky as she wasn't able to lift any weight in Clean and Jerk.Had she managed to lift the weight in her 2nd or 3rd event then she would have a medal.She has lifted more then those weights previously.
    However,she is one for the Future and with age on her side,she is definitely a Medal Contender for Future Games.

Overall,disappointing performance.

thebeautifulgamemunna219777Carbon_14namewtheldsilicon3kartik91
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    I have tried to share my opinion w.r.t Rio briefly.

Next, i will share our positives,negatives as a Sporting Country.Athletes to watch out for,Sports to watch out for,where are we likely to be in 2020 w.r.t 2016 at Olympics i.e will our Shooting be in a better situation or worse situation in comparison to 2016.Also,Considering the Demography of our COUNTRY,Which sports we can excel in in Future and General Roadmap for Tokyo 2020 in the Tokyo Thread.

Please share your your Feedback on Rio Thread and let me know if you are interested in Tokyo
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29637 Points
    @Bad: A good comprehensive analysis. You could have included Bindra's name in shooting (though you mention him in golf) as even a fourth-place finish in the Olympics is creditable. It is great that you have been able to come up with an analysis when many of us are finding it tough to do so due to professional pressures. Looking forward to your comments on the Tokyo thread...only don't get too optimistic :p
    munna219777
  • usaindiausaindia 1671 Points
    @bad i am not sure how long  you were following these olympic sports,but  we always get medals from unexpected and saina nehwal is really saying she was injured putting all these pictures.
  • usaindiausaindia 1671 Points
    only sport some what disappointed was shooting