Online Chatting

Comments

• BrainFallINDIABrainFallINDIA India7393 Points
    Ofcourse ,the english media won't leave a news like this .
    goalkeeparAshishKaulkartik91Nagendra
  • AshishKaulAshishKaul Ancient India1127 Points
    None of the English media has shown interest for ISRO recent scramjet achievement . If they show it then it full of sarcastic remarks and aid comments of deluded brits  :D
    goalkeepar
  • samsam 16533 Points
    or about this achievement maybe 

AshishKaulDeb_BangoalkeeparnamewtheldsouravindiaNagendraarchakdeepufootydipsanvedjadhavand 3 others.
  • EastBengalPrideEastBengalPride India9301 Points
    Indian Railways announced Polatok Express reserved for MB fans due to Big demand. 
    sam
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India30224 Points

Dhyan Chand had the guts to defy Adolf Hitler in the dictator's own country

Respect for Dhyan Chand will grow ten-fold in your mind. He deserves the Bharat Ratna without a doubt.
    Dhyan Chand scoring a goal for the Indian hockey team in the 1928 Olympics

August 29. National Sports Day and Major Dhyan Chand's birth anniversary.

Also, the day when the nation's top sporting awards are presented to the deserving athletes at Rashtrapati Bhawan. One of the awards is the highest possible honour for athletes, an award for lifetime achievement in sports - The Dhyan Chand Award.

Also Read: Major Dhyan Chand example of sportsman spirit, patriotism: Modi

There has been a longstanding demand to give the Bharat Ratna to the greatest hockey player in the world. But instead of arguing that point today, let us pay tribute in the best possible way – by talking about the greatness of the hockey legend.

The year was 1928 and Dhyan Chand showed his skills for the first time on the international hockey scene. In many ways, this was a more dramatic entrance than anything Indian cricket had achieved at that stage. That year saw India taking part in Olympic hockey for the first time in Amsterdam. And Dhyan Chand led India to a historic gold and for the next five Olympics, we would take gold 5 more times. 

The next Olympics witnessed a couple of world records created by Indians, that still stand unbroken – one of which was the 24-1 rout of the USA, the record for the most number of goals scored in an international hockey match. It is safe to say that the Indian maestro was the guiding light of these great performances

Took to the game like a fish to water

Dhyan Chand had the gift to mesmerise opponents and crowd alike. But few know that he and his teammates had the guts to defy the Fuehrer, Adolf Hitler in his own backyard.It is said that Dhyan Chand – leading the Indian contingent refused to salute Adolf Hitler during the opening ceremony of the 1936 Berlin Olympics. The only other contingent to show such defiance was the American contingent. And, as the Nazi leader watched on, Jesse Owen and Dhyan Chand set the track and field on fire in their respective competitions.

While Hitler arrived for the guard of honour, the wizard of hockey carrying the flag in a light blue turban and golden outfit made a huge political statement in a grand gesture of defiance. This went largely unnoticed back in pre-independent India but it created quite a stir in Germany.

There are various theories that mention him turning down Hitler's offer of a position as a Lieutenant. Few say, he was asked to be a Colonel as well. It would be quite impossible to prove that this interaction between Hitler and Dhyan Chand took place but it is proven from video footage of the 1936 Berlin Olympics that the German leader was present at the stadium when India played his country in the gold medal match.

All-time greatest, the world has ever seen

India won all their three league matches against Hungary, USA, and Japan to move comfortably into the semi-finals. Dhyan Chand scored four goals against France as India hammered France 10-0 to be assured of a medal and a match against the Germans for the gold. A German newspaper carried a headline: 'The Olympic complex now has a magic show too. There were posters all over Berlin: 'Visit the hockey stadium to watch the Indian magician Dhyan Chand in action.'

The hockey final was watched by a crowd of 40,000 that included top Nazi officials like Hermann Goering and Hitler himself. Germany were thrashed by India with the captain scoring three goals and although the Nazi leader was supposed to present the gold medal to the winning team, it is said that he had left the stadium in frustration and anger.

The Berlin Games would be Dhyan Chand’s third and last Olympics at the age of 31 as he finished his career with three Olympic golds but more importantly attained worldwide fame. The numbers are a testament to that. In the three Summer Games where he played, India scored 102 goals and conceded only three.

Cricket may affectionately remember its Bradman but then the man himself, after watching Chand’s magical stick work at Adelaide, commented, "He scores goals like we score runs in cricket." 

In today's Anandabazar Patrika, P.K. Bannerjee says that he remembers an incident in 1970-1972 when he was the chairman of the Arjuna Awards Committee. He recalls that Dhyanchand was a perfect gentleman and unassuming person. He had once called P.K. to a hospital in Patiala where he was admitted. The ailing hockey-wizard had told him, 'Please see to it that the country gives me a big government recognition. In Berlin, there is a street named after me and my brother Roop Singh. But I have never been treated with due respect in my own country.'

Sad, very sad. When will India learn to honour its heroes??

• munna219777munna219777 28557 Points
    @thebeautifulgame ; This one is made up story that India refused to salute to Hitler. First of all, nobody salutes any leader, all salutes are to Olympic Flag only. Infact Indian Hockey team was mesmerised by Germany in 1936. Germany was also very good host to India even though we defeated Germany.  All made up story that refused to salute and anger. Infact Dhyan Chand and whole team was respecting German Anthem in Opening Ceremony.

You will recognise these two people - Manager Pankaj Gupta with Joseph Goebbels.

I will bring writen accounts of Dhyan Chand only to prove my point. Please read this book

http://www.bharatiyahockey.org/granthalaya/champions/

EastBengalPridekartik91
  • munna219777munna219777 28557 Points
    edited August 2016
    "While Hitler arrived for the guard of honour, the wizard of hockey carrying the flag in a light blue turban and golden outfit made a huge political statement in a grand gesture of defiance. This went largely unnoticed back in pre-independent India but it created quite a stir in Germany".

c

This is from the Olympic Village.

This is the flag which Dhyan Chand was carrying in 1936 Olympics Opening Ceremony. And the first member of our contignent Jagannath was saluting. Even the anthem played in Village and after medal was "God Save the King". I fail to understand that what defiance or political statement are you talking about? India also had the same flag in 1928, 1932 Olympics as we were not independent.

EastBengalPride
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India30224 Points
    First of all, I am not speaking about the defiance or political statement...the author of the article is...I though he was reliable enough...I did not know that I would come up against the IFN encyclopedia ;)
    Secondly, the book that you mention, the one by M.N. Masood was published in 1937, when we were still under colonial rule, though Britain would later be at war with Germany, i am not sure what exactly the political situation was at that time...but in those days, there was always a kind of self-censorship involved in these touchy political matters..so it might have been the case that Masood might have avoided introducing any discordant note into the book, if any
    You are right about the flag, but perhaps there was something about the attire-the light blue turban and golden outfit -that had something to do with breaking away from convention...again not sure
    Finally, the post was not to highlight the rebellious spirit of Dhyan Chand..it had more to do with how we have treated our'legend of legends' with scant respect.... I found the reminiscences of P.K. about the last days of Dhyan Chand particularly poignant...a legend literally begging for official recognition
    munna219777kartik91
  • NagendraNagendra Rajahmundry, A.P6771 Points
    ;thebeautifulgame 

I still doubt how come one person munna219777  can have knowledge on everything..... 

Either munna is a Matrix or else two/multiple persons operating same IFN account... :)

no offense please.. just kidding...
    samred_devilmunna219777Carbon_14kartik91mohammed_87hassan
  • samsam 16533 Points
    @munna219777 ;
    the pocket wiki. We had someone like him in our college. Called him walkipedia
    red_devilmunna219777Nagendrakartik91