Online Chatting

Comments

• thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29636 Points
    https://www.livemint.com/Leisure/v0FeImo6sDRWXaS1UsNbcK/What-winning-a-world-cup-means-to-a-nation.html

What winning a world cup means to a nation

Germany’s world football title in 2014, like India’s cricket World Cup in 2011, exemplifies how sporting success translates to self-esteem

When Mario Götze struck the winning goal against Argentina at the Maracanã in Rio de Janeiro in the 2014 World Cup final, Germany ended a 24-year wait to be champions of football. It was their third title.

When M.S. Dhoni smacked a six off Nuwan Kulasekara in the 49th over of the 2011 cricket World Cup final in Mumbai, it may not have been as graceful as Götze’s effort, but it was certainly as glorious. India had ended a 28-year wait to win the World Cup, their first since 1983.

While football and cricket are far removed from each other, there is a common binding factor—the effect of World Cup wins. Every country that is seen as a superpower in a sport had a catalytic moment which changed everything.

India’s first World Cup win in 1983 was one such, sparking interest in a sport that became a saviour of national pride. Germany’s first title in world football came earlier—in 1954—and reignited hope and patriotism in a country that was suffering from the historical burden of World War II. More than just the trophies though, it is the stories behind these campaigns that play a role in determining how a country can capitalize on the aftermath of a world championship.

India had won just one match in World Cup history before 1983—against East Africa. As senior cricket writer Ayaz Memon puts it, “No one gave India a chance at the World Cup, not even in the final against the West Indies.”

The odds were stacked 66:1 against Kapil Dev’s men but when Michael Holding was dismissed with the West Indies 43 runs short of the target, a new cricketing giant was born.

Maybe that is the grind a team needs to go through to mature into the long-term leader of a sport. There were no expectations of West Germany before their first title win in 1954. A recent visit to the German Football Museum in Dortmund proved that it is their most coveted football story—the guide spent the most time in front of relics from 1954 (including the players’ jerseys and boots) and had a wide range of anecdotes from the win, fondly known as “The Miracle of Bern”.

He said the players were so sure of being knocked out early in the tournament that they didn’t take enough clothes to Switzerland, forcing some of them to ask their wives to send extras. Such were the odds against Germany that the sport’s governing body had already gifted the other finalist, Hungary, Swiss-made gold watches before the match—one of which can be seen at this museum.

A German fan Photo Getty Images
    A German fan. Photo: Getty Images

Hungary had already beaten Germany 8-3 in the group stages. They were led by the great Ferenc Puskás and were unbeaten in 32 internationals. There couldn’t have been a more lopsided final on paper. Hungary sprang into a 2-0 lead within 10 minutes, before Germany mounted one of the most ridiculous comebacks in history.

The Guardian’s recent look-back piece on the win cites comments from writer Friedrich Christian Delius and historian Joachim Fest. The former felt “a guilt-ridden, inhibited nation was suddenly reborn” while Fest said the win was the “true birth of the country”. German football great Franz Beckenbauer said the country “regained its self-esteem”.

India’s 1983 win had a massive impact on the country too. “It pumped a realization into the nation. There was a great sense of achievement, pride, and the pyramid base of cricketers became so strong that we can reap the rewards even today,” says Memon, who covered the tournament for Sportsweekmagazine.

An article on the ESPNcricinfo website on the win calls the aftermath a new awakening: “Seven of the players in the final were in their twenties. There had been no conscious call to youth, but just over a year after that win, India’s youngest Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi took office. This was a new awakening, a reappraisal of long-held beliefs,” Suresh Menon wrote.

Each World Cup win brings with it a unique set of dominoes—Germany’s triumph in 2014 was the culmination of unexpected losses since 1990 and the eventual realization that a plan was needed to produce world-class youth players who all hit their peak in Brazil that year. This was summed up in their 7-1 mauling of the home side in the semi-final—a confirmation of their pedigree and the mark of German perfection.

“It is really important that you question every situation and motivate yourself to learn from it,” says Frederik Deters, who was part of Bundesliga club Werder Bremen’s youth system between 2003-05. “This (the sentiment to keep questioning performances even after winning the world title, to not rest on laurels) ambition didn’t exist after the win in 1990. Especially after winning a title, there is no time to lie back and relax. That is what went wrong after 1990. They needed 10 years to realize that from doing nothing there will be no success.”

India’s World Cup win in 2011 had shades of the same golden-generation phenomenon. The win came after a disappointing defeat in the 2003 final and an embarrassingly early exit in 2007.

There is something unique that still lingers among German fans that only World Cup wins can help elevate. “I would say football is one of the only things in the last few decades that can give a kind of a feeling…of being a nation that can be proud of its success,” says Eike Somborn, a 33-year-old lifelong Dortmund fan from Frankfurt.

For India, 2011 is special because it erased memories of their inability to win at home in 1987 and 1996. For Germany, hosting the 2006 edition unequivocally changed the national mood. A feature in The Washington Post in July 2014 says: “Even into the 1990s, flagpoles at schools were bare of the national flag and children weren’t taught the national anthem…” because “...the shadow of the past continued to dim every corner of life here.”

Somborn adds, “It was okay to be a proud German again—something tabooed because of World War II. Since the 2006 World Cup, we hung out German flags from our balconies—something that was not really seen much before.”

After spending nearly a week in the country, in Dortmund, Düsseldorf, Cologne and Berlin, experiencing the Bundesliga culture in stadiums also presented the chance to speak with fans and football officials—the ones who matter the most and the ones who govern. It appears that the mood in Germany before the World Cup is one of quiet confidence—of assured excellence.

The tangible consequences of any nation winning a World Cup are the same—increased investments, better infrastructure, and broadening of the players talent pool, to name a few. The intangibles, however, are hugely different—because a World Cup win transforms the underdogs into favourites.

For Germany in 2018, it will be more of the same, but maybe this time there will be no rebirth of a nation. That bridge has been crossed. This time, they will look to reconfirm their footballing excellence, devoid of the weight of history.

kartik91munna219777
  • kartik91kartik91 Delhi1139 Points
    It’s amazing how some people are so gifted to relate two entirely different sports and cultures and weave them in one article! Great post!
    munna219777
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points

What makes a country good at football?

Wealth, size and interest in football explain almost half of countries’ international performance. The rest can be taught

https://www.economist.com/international/2018/06/09/what-makes-a-country-good-at-football

thebeautifulgamesouravindiaindian_gooner
    http://indianexpress.com/article/fifa/world-cup-2018-argentina-lionel-messi-fan-tea-stall-kolkata-5211764/

Story of a Lionel Messi Fan: Tea stall owner paints entire house in Argentina colours

The street leading up to Shib Shankar Patra's, tea stall cum house is dotted with Argentina flags while a giant one flutters high making its presence felt.

Shib Shankar Patra is one among thousands of die-hard Argentina fans in Kolkata and there’s nothing unusual about it. But then die-hard fans at times can be weird too and the 53-year-old Patra has that weird streak in him.

Trying to garner enough savings from his modest earnings through a tea stall, Patra harboured a dream — to watch ‘The Albiceleste’ live from the stands in Russia.

But when a Kolkata-based travel agent informed him that his savings — a princely amount of Rs 60,000 is not enough to fund his World Cup trip (travel agent gave him a budget of Rs 1.5 lakh), he decided the next best thing –paint his entire three-storied building in Argentina colours.

“I don’t smoke or drink. I have only one addiction and that is Lionel Messi and Argentina. I don’t earn much but ensure that bulk of my earnings is kept aside for these indulgences when World Cup comes calling,” Patra, owner of a tea and snack stall in North 24 Parganas’ Nawabganj township, told PTI.

You don’t need a GPS to track Patra’s house once you get down to Ichhapore Railway Station. Ask any cocky teenager or elderly uncle about “Argentina Chaayer Dokan” (Argentina Tea Stall), they will be more than happy to oblige.

The street leading up to his tea stall cum house is dotted with Argentina flags while a giant one flutters high making its presence felt.

Every four years coinciding with the World Cup, Patra, who runs his tea stall from the ground floor of his three-storied building, gives his building a fresh coat of light blue and white shade.

Enter his three-room apartment and the craziness hits you instantly. All the walls are painted in Argentina colour, even the small ‘puja sthal’ (where the idols of Gods and Goddesses are placed). The walls of each room adorns a life-size vinyl flex print poster of Messi.

Addiction can be contagious but if its ‘Messi mania’, Patra doesn’t mind that his wife Swapna along with his children — 20 year-old daughter Neha and 10-year -old son Shubham are equally mad about the fleet footed genius.

“My kids know everything about Messi. The food he likes, the car he drives, everything,” Patra says with a glint of pride in his eyes.

“They don’t miss a single match of Messi. If there’s a late night match during the exams, they will pretend to sleep early but will watch live streaming on their cell phones,” wife Sapna said.

Argentina fans in Kolkata ahead of the World CupNorth 24 Parganas: Tea-seller and die-hard Lionel Messi fan, Shib Shankar Patra serves tea to his fellow fans and customers infront of his three-storeyed apartment painted in blue-and-white ahead of FIFA World Cup 2018. (Source: PTI)

There is one common thread of all Argentina fans in Bengal. The 1986 World Cup, which was aired live on Doordarshan turned Kolkatans into ‘Maradona devotees’. Messi is an extension of Maradona.

“I have watched the Argnetina friendly at the Salt Lake Stadium. I lived a dream that day,” Patra recollected.

It was the first time, he painted his house in Argentina colours, something he repeated in the 2014 edition of the World Cup as well.

Since 2012, the Patra family celebrates every Messi birthday with fanfare like cutting cake to organsing blood donation camp.

And it goes without saying that tea and samosas (staple diet for Bongs during their football adda sessions) is complimentary on all Argentina match days.

With Messi’s birthday coinciding with the World Cup, they have cancelled the blood donation camp, which is held every year.

Instead a 30-pound cake will be cut and 100 Argentina jerseys will be distributed amonmg local kids with Messi’s photograph embossed.

In attendance would be the local MLA and India U-17 World Cupper Rahim Ali.

By his own admission, he has never taken any loans for his personal indulgences.

“I’ve never sought money from anyone but we never fell short, and somehow everything falls in place in time,” Patra said.

“People here also happily come forward. Someone sponsors the food, someone gets the cake and we make it a mini-Argentina here,” Patra says.

Even there will be prayers for Messi with the priest of the local Hanuman temple — his regular client — offering special prayers for the Argentine wizard.

“He gets me the ‘sindoor’ from Hanuman’s left leg (the connection is Messi
    being a left-footed player) and the vermilion is applied on Messi’s poster during every match. We hope he lift the Cup this time,” Patra signed off.

“I don’t smoke or drink. I have only one addiction and that is Lionel Messi and Argentina."

The guy is somewhat like me...of course I have some other addictions too<3 

munna219777
    Excellent article!
    Great haul, @munna219777

munna219777
    http://www.thehindu.com/sport/cricket/move-over-cricket/article24114444.ece

LETTER FROM A CONCERNED READER 

At least 80% of all our problems are due to cricket fans, says Mr.Mathrubootham

At least 80 of all our problems are due to cricket fans says MrMathrubootham

Respected Sir/Madam,

How are you? Football World Cup is going to start. I am not able to control my excitement even five minutes. Due to retirement after many years of lifelong meritorious service in public sector bank, for the first time in my life I will be able to sit at home and watch World Cup without any limits. 3 a.m. ok. 4 a.m. ok. 5 p.m. ok. 10 p.m. ok. Whatever time it is ok, Mr. Mathrubootham is a fully free man he can do whatever he wants.

Nobody can tell anything if I want to watch football in my own house, and if Mrs. Mathrubootham has any problem, then I don’t care, who is she to tell me what to do. I will sit in the balcony and watch on phone or maybe I will go to Dr. Shankaramenon’s house or I will secretly listen to radio in the bathroom, nobody can stop me. This is real retirement freedom.

Let me be frank sir/ madam. Once upon a time I used to think football was all nonsense, some colonial inferiority complex drama item like jogging, Shakespeare, talcum powder and cauliflower. Then I got transferred as senior accountant to Calcutta branch. Those days manager of Calcutta branch was one Mr. James Paulose from Quilon. Very hard-working fellow and very good manager and very open-minded about petty cash.

Just one problem. During World Cup suddenly he used to transform into another creature like Radha turning into snake in superhit Tamil film Manaivi Oru Manickam. I will go into his office to get approval of loan application and suddenly he will say: “Tell me Senior Accountant, who is better Gerd Müller or Johan Cruyff? TELL ME NOW OR I WILL NEVER APPROVE THIS LOAN!!!”

Sir/ madam imagine my suffering. I am standing in manager’s cabin and thinking Guruvayoorappa if I tell the wrong answer my customer Mr. Enrico Fermi Dasgupta will not get housing loan. Finally I said “Sir you know the answer like I do, it is very obvious, don’t insult me with such stupid questions. Will anybody compare Miller and Christ?” Loan got immediate approval.

That same evening I went and purchased one book on football. Only like that we were able to do any work in Calcutta between 1974 and 1978. By the by I became a great football fan. What is colonial about football? Nothing. My favourite team is England.

Sir/ madam unfortunately there is just one problem with being a football fan in India. And that problem is cricket fans in India. In fact, I believe that at least 80% of all problems in India are because of cricket fans.

I will give fresh example. This morning after Seniors Intermediate Yoga we were discussing World Cup topics. Suddenly my friend Mr. Mohammed Usman came and said “What football football you are talking? Shameless fellows trying to copy foreigners.”

Sir/ madam, Mr. Usman has one family photo in his house with Mr. Usman, Mrs. Usman, two children and one cardboard cut-out of Sachin Tendulkar. Background is Photoshop cricket stadium.

I said what nonsense you are talking Usman? As if your forefathers during Jambuvan time were sitting and trying to hit a ball 87 times before touching one by mistake and all the forefathers said in Sanskrit oho aha what a cover drive through mid-wicket for no runs, good start by Gangaikondacholapuram Super Kings.

Usman said you are fool and also traitor, at least I support Indian team, you have any shame supporting England? I said you shut up Usman, I have also seen test match. If you want to see something so slow look at Himalayas no? It is growing 1 centimeter per 35 years.

Finally, yoga teacher came and interrupted our fight and told us to go home immediately otherwise Yoga membership cancel.

Sir/ madam, I have no regrets. Which team are you supporting?

Yours in nonstop excitement,

J. Mathrubootham

:D  :D

indian_gooner
  • indian_goonerindian_gooner 3415 Points
    ohh i missed j mathrubootham.
  • samsam 16428 Points
    edited June 2018
    Australia will go back to OFC I think  :D Any guess why??  ;)
    goalkeepar
  • samsam 16428 Points
    In 2026 WC OFC got a direct spot and Australia is lately struggling to do good inside AFC
    indian_gooner