Online Chatting

Comments

• footydipfootydip Ranaghat, Nadia, West Bengal2722 Points
    48 teams. asia will get 8 and OFC 1. OFC is joke. it should ne afc + ofc 9 spots
    goalkeeparatuljg
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29261 Points
    Yes NZ will 100% get that spot and sulpreet Singh will play WC, instead fifa should make it AFC - 8.5 and OFC 0.5, there should be playoff between AFC 9th place and ofc winner.
    footydip
  • ashindiaashindia 9254 Points
    Bigger World Cup is a Joke. Just too many teams I feel. 32 already is huge.
    munna219777Deb_Banatuljg
  • indian_goonerindian_gooner 3416 Points
    In 2026 WC OFC got a direct spot and Australia is lately struggling to do good inside AFC
    I read somewhere earleir many years ago the reason they wanted to join AFC was to get involved in many matches and competions to that they are playing regular football rather than stay in OFC where there are no challenges. So i think they are enjoying the challenges and qulafying from Asia too. Won the Asian cup also. Even New Zealand wanted to do it but didn't materilise.

@ashindia
    Bigger World Cup is a Joke. Just too many teams I feel. 32 already is huge.
    well my problem is unequal representation from different confederations. For a people like me i want to see India play in a group match in a world cup in my lifetime. So i am not concered about the number of teams, quality of the game they will do to the tournament.
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    Australia in AFC will surely get one of the 8 berths. They will qualify anyways.

Reasons for expansion to 48 :-

1) Big markets like China can qualify which is vital for FIFA.
    2) Need to accomodate multiple hosts. Future bids are joint bis. 2026 will be hosted most probably by USA-Canada-Mexico so they need 3 berths for that. 2030 might be hosted by Argentina-Paraguay-Uruguay.
    goalkeeparindian_gooner
  • samsam 16428 Points
    My Australia comment was a light joke  :/ by the way after Australia beat A Samoa 31-0 or something like that they decided enough is enough and we need to leave ofc. I know all these things you mentioned.
    indian_goonermunna219777footydip
  • indian_goonerindian_gooner 3416 Points
    @munna219777

1) Big markets like China can qualify which is vital for FIFA.

Add India. FIFA is doing it for us too. :D ....Chal beta ab toh qualify kar be...

munna219777kartik91
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29637 Points
    https://www.bloombergquint.com/fifa-world-cup-2018/2018/06/13/football-vs-cricket-world-cup-9-0

Football Vs Cricket World Cup: 9-0

Participation

The number of nations that participate in the football world cup are three times those that are part of the cricket world cup.

The gap becomes even more stark when it comes to the qualifying rounds. In the latest qualification round for the upcoming FIFA World Cup, a record 211 countries participated. While the cricket world cup's qualification tournament had 10 associate teams, something that the International Cricket Council has been criticised for in the past.

Television Audiences

The last FIFA World Cup’s viewership was twice that of the previous edition of the cricket World Cup. The football World Cup is televised across the world with nearly 200 broadcasters in almost every country that participated in the qualifying round. In contrast, the ICC Cricket World Cup has 44 licensed broadcasters.

Geographical Spread

The football world cup's existence dates back to 1930, over 40 years before the first cricket world cup was played. The 20 editions of the FIFA World Cup since then have been played in 17 nations, with a host being repeated only three times. The 11 cricket world cups since 1975 have been played across 10 nations.

Revenue

Event-based revenue accounts for a huge chunk of ICC and FIFA earnings.

But what FIFA makes from the football world cup is more than 100 times of what ICC makes from the cricket world cup, according to their financial statements. This revenue includes marketing, broadcasting, ticketing, hospitality and licensing rights.

Expenses

FIFA also spends more towards organising the world cup.

Moolah

FIFA World Cup winners, losers and even participants earn significantly more than nations in the ICC Cricket World Cup.

When Germany won the football world cup in 2014, their prize money was more than the three times the prize money offered by the ICC Cricket World Cup 2015, financial statements show. Australia, which won the cricket world cup in 2015, earned half of what Cameroon got after getting knocked out in the football world cup group stages without winning a match.

Ticket Prices

If you're going to watch a football world cup match, be prepared to dig deep into your pockets.

For the upcoming FIFA World Cup, the cheapest ticket for a standard group match is nearly five times costlier than the cheapest ticket at the cricket world cup.

Stadium Turnout

Despite costlier tickets the FIFA World Cup commands a higher average stadium turnout than the ICC Cricket World Cup. In the most recent editions, the average attendance at the stadium in the football world cup was over twice of that in the cricket world cup.

Tourism Boost

Events like world cups are a boon for the host country’s tourism industry.

Brazil received the highest number of tourists in a year in 2014, when it hosted the FIFA World Cup, according to its tourism ministry. This was mainly due to more than 600,000 foreign visitors coming to the land of Samba to cheer their nations. That was beaten when the country hosted Olympics two years later.

munna219777kartik91
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    @sam About South sudan

Both Taiwan and South Sudan were created by them. Vote for world cup is atleast expected.

sam
  • samsam 16428 Points
    10 nations for qualifying round in Cricket WC is a wrong info
    indian_goonermunna219777kartik91