India at Tokyo 2020: A Roadmap

Comments

• rathorevarun4 rathorevarun4 1665 Points
    edited August 2021
    satish kumar lost but I am satisfied with his performance he tried his level best Uzbekistan boxer got the advantage of his height good in defence but other players whether it's boxing or shooting or any other sports they all gave up even before the match and choked 
    That's what really disappointing....

Darkoashindiaspartamunna219777
  • ashindiaashindia 9365 Points
    Why are we satisfied by equalling Rio medal tally when we already achieved 6 medals in 2012. Indians need to be mentally more ambitious otherwise will be just satisfied by beating Bangladesh or reaching quarters in Olympics.
    DarkogoalkeeparNagendramunna219777deepuPedro Gonzales
  • DarkoDarko Mumbai177 Points
    ashindia said:
    Why are we satisfied by equalling Rio medal tally when we already achieved 6 medals in 2012. Indians need to be mentally more ambitious otherwise will be just satisfied by beating Bangladesh or reaching quarters in Olympics.

2012 was luck, but still I won't call that performance exceptional. The bottom line is that a system creates medals. You can have cases like Uzbekistan or some African country which will win gold in their respective powerhouse domains, but that is again nor a sustainable neither a holistic development. The whole concept of Olympics is to showcase your system of developing excellence in diverse sports.

Though recently countries have started to exploit the games with useless events and concentration of medals in a particular event to pad their tallies, and also there is this recent infestation of male-looking "women" competing in women categories and easily breaking the past records. The games have lost their sheen a lot in my eyes.

But we can't and won't have a consistently-growing medals tally until we come up with a solid system. One or two golds won't do any long-term benefit. This is a competition not of athletes but of the systems developing them.
  • BadBad 5146 Points
    edited August 2021
    jitug1979 said:
    Only we still believe in miracles to happen, while USA, China, S Korea, Jamaica, make miracles happen...To summarise, We are not cut out for high pressure Olympics... Problem is people pursue Sports only to take up Govt jobs...Once there, then it's more about managing both...Medal mil gaya toh promotion, else at least we have a permanent job...
    I used the term miracles symbolically to suggest that lesser fancied athletes can also win medals and it can happen in favour of India as well.

We should hold on because the Olympics hasn't finished yet.Moreover, do we realise the fact that one more Gold Medal makes it out best Olympics performance (not being proud but just stating the fact).

We can certainly discuss on events which have finished like Archery for example. Like Shooting( irrespective what happens in the last event, these Olympics have been disastrous for Shooters). Similarly for boxer's (specially Men.5 boxer's winning just 1 round among them).

For rest, I suggest, we should wait and watch and comment afterwards.

But, across all sports, one thing is common and confirmed that is that majority of our Athletes lack composure and choke irrespective of the number of Olympics they have represented India in. The ones who don't are the exception's whereas it should be the other way round.
  • Lord_PessiLord_Pessi Bengaluru548 Points
    Japan and S.Korea have robust school clubs sports system and USA has good university sports structure and china provides best infra for its athletes . In India we have nothing ,politicians who think an egg for day is enough for dietary needs and their chamchas who are holding onto positions in sports federations . Whatever money that is being given to these federations is being wasted . They hardly spend anything on grassroots . Player needs to be nurtured from when they are 6 or 7 years . When federations understand this and provide support to athletes before they win anything and show confidence in them , only then we can expect any medals 
    masefieldtheoilfield
    edited August 2021
    It's basically a chicken and egg problem: Govt doesn't want to commit too much funds in a sport without seeing any output; and it won't see any output until it commits enough in a sport to make it worthwhile.

But this still doesn't justify the abysmal performance in shooting, archery, boxing & wrestling - where the Govt is actually committing funds and focus is on grassroots as well.

I think it is convenient to blame the govt for everything, when other stakeholders also don't up their game.

1) Coaching - do we have enough outstanding coaches, with a vision of excellence and latest knowledge on diet, sports science & analysis, physical & mental conditioning, injuries, etc? And are the existing coaches from SAI and other sports institutes required to keep their coaching skills up-to-date with continuous learning programs? I don't think so.

2) Athletes - I already made a lengthy post about it. We attract less talent. So, there is no way to filter out the weak because we only have a few. Unless we invert the talent process, I don't see much chance. Let's say, there is a single-storied house. Now, suppose you have all the building resources at your disposal, can you make a high-rise out of that single-storied without breaking it down? No, you can't. So, if we start with inherently weak athletes, no matter how much psychological conditioning you provide, they just won't be able to compete with inherently strong athletes.

• spartasparta Jamshedpur FC2074 Points
    Archery doesn't have a full time coach,let alone foreign coach or psychologist. Whatever the expectations were raised was due to the individual performances in the World Cup before the Olympics where they had beaten almost every medal aspirants except the Koreans. 
       Most of them had really bad ranking rounds due to which they faced Korea everywhere. Only realistic hope was mixed doubles and Deepika Kumari. In both of the event they reached Quarterfinals. How many athletes are reaching that milestone too?

Table Tennis : 3rd round exits in individual.

Track : Some 400m special foreign coach if I remember who has almost ended Hima Das's career. Apart from Avinash Sable,none in top 30s too it seems.

Field : Result on the expected lines till now. 

Shooting : The less said than better. Only two top 8 finishes after all the hype and facilities.

Tennis : Gone case

Swimming : Somehow they achieved qualifications

Boxing : One men boxer in quarters but some top seeds and people with high rankings and hopes gone.

Lovlina the only saving grace in it.

Badminton : Results on the expected lines.

Weightlifting : Results on the expected lines.

Hockey : Women somehow reached quarters but that's it. Men's result on the expected lines .

95% of the atheletes had no hope even before entering the Olympic arena and most of them just scrapped through by just touching the cutoff or through ranking in athletics like Dutee chand. 

Darkomunna219777
    Sindhu wins a bronze, yay!
    spartaashindiamunna219777Nagendrakartik91
  • spartasparta Jamshedpur FC2074 Points
    When Sindhu retires she will become the GOAT of India as simple as that. One more medal :) 
    Darkomunna219777Nagendradeepu
  • ashindiaashindia 9365 Points
    Like I said before Sindhu will deliver at big stage. Most of them will disagree with me but people like Deepika should learn from Sindhu on how to perform in pressure situations. 
    Darkomunna219777Nagendradeepugiridharan