ISL Week 3 Discussion Thread

Comments

• ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    Full-time: Chennaiyin FC 1-1 Mumbai City

Jeje Lalpekhlua and Leo Costa are the goalscorers
  • DomnicDomnic 2309 Points
    ISL has lost its charm. Its clearly evident. Not rocket science to realise that.
    munna219777
    So you're just going to ignore and not talk about it? I mean, it has lost its charm to me but fuck it, its football in India, has Indians playing and I want to see how they do. 
    shubham_northeasternDeb_Bansamalecsamirsid123gaffertapered_devil
    Sena Ralte wins his third ISL Emerging Player of the Match award and for the most part, deserved. Good leftbacks so far in ISL.
    Carbon_14gaffertape
  • mohammed_87hassanmohammed_87hassan Sumeet Passin FC Jupiter10454 Points
    Yep Chennai needs a smaller venue
    But there is no place in center of the city for such a  venue

JLN Chennai is at the heart of the city near 2 local railway stations 
    (both are at 100-200m distance from stadium and connects to almost every place in the city) 
    which makes traveling very easy

JLN original capacity is 40k when it was renovated for Asian Athletics Meet 
    Now its reduced a bit as top most stands aren't available but those are very small may be 2k capacity

So even a  20k crowd would make a 35-38k capacity Stadium look empty

Also majority of crowd sits at the opposite side of Advertisement hordings(back of dugouts)
    So it doesn't get showed in TV

Block B gets sold out everytime and some people stand there to watch

Rather Chennayin must market itself well amongst the public and try to fill the stadium
    ArsenalFan700munna219777atuljgamirsid123DX
    Ya, the pictures and the camera switches showed that. Just looked it up and I can't find another place they could host Chennaiyin FC matches so they are essentially stuck with the Nehru Stadium sadly.

At least a place like Delhi has the Ambedkar Stadium or Kolkata has many grounds.
  • No one should forget that it's still higher than avg BFC attendance. That too in a city like Chennai. If it was I League we would all have hailed it. How the stadium looks on TV doesnt matter
    BrainFallINDIAArsenalFan700shubham_northeasternsamatuljgamirsid123[Deleted User]kartik91Carbon_14gopiajeeshand 4 others.
    Agree. For a city outside of Kolkata or the NorthEast and Goa this is a great attendance (and it looked like 20,000 on tv when they did show other angles of the ground) but it does kill the atmosphere. Also, I can't say with certainty since I have never been to either stadium, but the Sree Kanteerava Stadium does seem more compact and intimate than the Nehru Stadium in Chennai. Chennai's stadium looks massive. 10,000-12,000 in the Sree Kanteerava will still sound good while 20,000 in the Nehru Stadium will sound a little quiet and not look as good.
  • munna219777munna219777 28514 Points
    edited November 2016
    Both Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium Chennai and Sree Kanteerava Stadiums were constructed as a massive venues for Opening, Closing Ceremonies,  Athletics and also Football Finals for a big Sporting event.

Madras hosted SAF Games in 1995.
    Bangalore hosted National Games in 1997.

They were not constructed with providing intimate Football environment in mind.

There was an era when Cricket, Hockey and Football were played in same stadium.
    But even with 20,000 people, the Sree Kanteerava Stadium sounded amazing on TV
    [Deleted User]