ISL Week 3 Discussion Thread

Comments

• red_devilred_devil kolkata2468 Points
    Ok...so when you have more shirt sponsors, haters blabber how ugly the jersey looks and now when you have lesser number of shirt sponsors, it becomes an indicator of ISL going downhill...wow
    Domnicamirsid123atuljg
  • lokeshchandaindialokeshchandaindia lokeshchandaindia1085 Points
    @red_devil ... I never said more sponsors make the jersey ugly. In fact more sponsors would mean more revenue which indicates the healthy economy of any team. People who say more sponsors make the jersey look ugly are unfortunately the fans who would never put a rupee out of their won pockets into the team. Sorry to criticise but it s the truth. Which owner wouldn't welcome more sponsors. AFter all it is them and not the fans who are spending the money. 

But all said and done, you cannot discount the fact that lesser sponsors means the league is not doing well
    Deb_BanDomnicatuljgmunna219777deepakcgoalkeepargaffertapekuldeep007
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    Shut up. Who cares if they have had lesser shirt sponsors this season? Who cares if they have their owners as sponsors? So do Bengaluru FC and other I-League sides. Who cares if TV ratings and attendances have gone down? Which btw, they have, but that is to be expected when you have smaller stadiums now in Kolkata and Mumbai and sides like say Goa who have only hosted 1 game. And ratings going down in season three is also no surprise and no surprise since eventually this format does get old, we know that, we have discussed that.

I am more interested in how they deal with this going into the future... you know, cause this league does not have a future. I won't just sit here and say this means that ISL is on a downhill, that just makes you fucking bitter about the league.
    red_devilDomnicatuljgjees_josegoalkeepargopiajeesh
    edited October 2016
    Lesser number of sponsors not necessarily means low revenue always. NEUFC had only one HTC logo on the front and another garnier logo on the arm and still  managed a 19 cr+ revenue. The value of the sponsorship matters as well. Imagine what if they had won the ISL.

Plus what is wrong with an owner sponsoring his team? Yes, it will make deep holes in their pockets, then again its a choice of the owner who wants to promote his brand. In case of Goa , its Deltin. Delhi : GMS.  Premier league champions  Leicetser City have KIngPower as their jersey sponsors, MLS has NY being sponsored by Red Bull, you have Air Asia sponsoring QPR. All these sponsors have some member as the owner of their respective club. You will find many examples as such. 
    sparta
  • mohammed_87hassanmohammed_87hassan Sumeet Passin FC Jupiter10448 Points
    Actually we all already knew that attendance was down
    And TRP of kabbali world cup pre show was Higher than ISL 
    Deb_Bandeepakc
    the attendance is down because ATK is playing in a 12 000 sitter stadium and MCFC in an 8000 sitter .... the others are doing fine. How hard is it for people to undertand this? Chennaiyin is marginally down (negligible). The others are still the same. Infact NEUFC has gone up. 
    atuljg
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9961 Points
    I don't know whether ISL is going down or not (in Kolkata, it definitely is), but to answer to the original observation of @ArsenalFan700 of there being something different about watching Bengaluru's match and then going back to ISL, it simply is 'connect'. ISL clubs do not provide the fans with the connect what with their multitude of foreign players (often with questionable supremacy of standards), insensitive owners, lack of relevant local players in the teams, distraction in the form of cine- and celebrity- stars, and of course, daily matches (you may also add the overdose of the botoxed face of queen in telly). Watching ISL is like watching the Dutch/ French/ Spanish league with no connection to Indian football scenario.

Simply put, a BFC win inflates our chests to 56" for the coming two days (with no signs of deflation, and it's good feeling) and an ADK win/ loss does not register in the ol' brain.

There is no connect as far as ISL is concerned.
    ArsenalFan700debarghya89red_devilashindiathebeautifulgameatuljgmunna219777deepakcalecsBrainFallINDIAand 3 others.
  • ArsenalFan700ArsenalFan700 Reddit13655 Points
    I can agree. I honestly could care less for the teams or the foreigners... I just like watching the Indians in the ISL. Meanwhile with Bengaluru FC, I live in the US and I feel a connection with them.

Every ISL venue has a bright sign saying "#Lets Football [Insert City]". Its so stupid. And lets not get started on the Imperial Blue people!
    red_devildeepak dedhamunna219777
  • Deb_BanDeb_Ban 9961 Points
    An article by Rupayan Bhattacharya in Ei Samay:

http://www.epaper.eisamay.com/Details.aspx?id=26927&boxid=143615502

Though written with something else in mind (how BFC succeeded and how MB lost the chance to make it big, due to the shortsightedness of their officials), it jot down how certain good ideas/ artistes have faltered after their initial success. And he rightly says the third session is the most important season as the glories of initial success wears of by then. For ISL, the initial make up is washed out in the third season, and the falter is evident.

munna219777
    edited October 2016
       "I've had several people confirm to me that the TRP's and the attendances have gone down.". @lokeshchandaindia ;;
    MLS attendance since their inception.
    1996	17410	
    1997	14606	
    1998	14312	
    1999	14282	
    2000	13756	
    2001	14961	
    2002	15821	
    2003	14900	
    2004	15549	
    2005	15112	
    2006	15426	
    2007	16767	
    2008	16460	
    2009	16037	
    2010	16675	
    2011	17869	
    2012    18807
    2013    18594
    2014    19148
    2015    21574
    2016    21489

There will be ups and downs every season w.r.t attendance.All leagues face that.
    ISL in its 3rd year after just 18 games is marginally lower compared to season one. A 10%
    drop from season one.
    Something IMG-R needs to think about and plan well for the next season, definitely not alarming at present.
    But if this attendance gets reduced by, say,  half in 2-3 more seasons, then we could say that the 
    product ISL was a flop. I am still positive about ISL.Its a steady process.

amirsid123atuljg