AFC U-16 Championship 2018

Comments

• deepak dedhadeepak dedha Ghar2820 Points
    I agree that weak team goalkeeper looks outstanding but we were not weak infact we were pitted in the strongest group and still progressed to the next round. Niraj Kumar presence in goal was the reason that we made it out to Knockout stages (Thanks to the penalty save and other good saves by Neeraj). Just for the comparision Subrata concided 13 goals in group stage while Neeraj kept 3 cleen sheets. 
    goalkeeparthebeautifulgamespartaThe real AG
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29259 Points
    Now let's wait for another 16 years for a new batch to come up..
    ashindiadeepak dedhakarenesudhakar2050[Deleted User]sparta
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    Really Proud of the Boys. Great Effort.

Conceding just one goal in 4 matches that too against South Korea really shows the tenacity and talent of the boys.

Shabas and Neeraj seem to be the biggest talents of this team. Glad, Shabas is a right back. We badly need one. With Shabas and Boris, we will now have 2 impressive options in 3-5 years time.

From this Tournament, I can see that we have come a long way both tactically and structurally. We were extremely disciplined in our approach and had it not been for that poor first touch which led to the goal, things could have been different. South Korea for all the ball possession wasn't really creating goal scoring opportunities and we had their measure in terms of defence for most of the match.

The Guys, The Coach, and the concerned authorities should hold their head high because this tournament showcased an Indian Team playing on even footing and playing an even match against all the teams like Iran, Indonesia, Vietnam, S. Korea which at least i have not seen any Indian team manage to do at any level. The beauty of this tournament is that we could have won every match. That was heartening to see. Great effort by everyone.Proud to be an Indian.

However, one important thing which everyone must realize is that good performance in u-16, the u-17 level is fine but real growth of a nation is its u-20 and u-23 teams. Moreso, U-23 teams. 

U-20 and U-23 are the most important because players for these age groups if they are really talented then they can directly be called for the National team. This doesn't in the u-17 category. Even if a player is super talented then also his chance to play for the senior team is zero.

This is because of the development of the player physically and technically is maximum from 16-25 years. These are the years of learning and growing for a player. After 25, players only work on what they have got in their armory. That is why our u-19 and u-23 teams don't generally do well and even struggle to qualify for AFC Cup 

Even though it seems that we have come a  long way but the real progress should be counted only when we manage to qualify for Asia Cup across all Age Levels.

More than our u-16, how are u-20 and u-23 perform will show us whether we have improved or not because u-20 and u-23 Teams are Feeder teams for the Senior Team. Hence, their performance is more important because they will shape the Senior Team Immediately.

U-16s have given us the Belief. Now, its time for our U-20s and U-23s to take it forward and qualify for the AFC Finals from now on.
    ashindiaspartathebeautifulgameDeb_Bankartik91tejimunna219777souravindia
  • samsam 16428 Points
    Yes, you are right. This time We were not as weak as last time. Precisely that is the reason S Paul conceded so many goals. It's called parallel shift in the mathematical terms. The whole team went a few notches up, still not so high for GK to play minimum necessary part
    shibier
  • BadBad 5141 Points
    Also, I feel this concept of weak team Goalkeeper looking outstanding is wrong. I feel when we say this then we are doing injustice to the respective Goalkeeper.

Because if this was the case, then every Every SAFF goalkeeper should look extraordinary which isn't the case when playing against India or any other superior Nation.

I feel only people who are talented and have the potential look strong. Sri Lankan, Bhutanese, Maldivian, Pakistani etc Goalkeeper don't look special.

Subrata Paul looked special because maybe he had the potential. Maybe it wasn't sufficient enough and consistent enough to play Abroad but still, he had sufficient potential that he was called for a trial abroad. The reason he looked special was because he actually made many special saves and even though he conceded 13 goals if it wasn't for him, it could have been more than 20. Even the neutral Pundits of that time were pointing him out as a talent. Not Every Indian gets a trial offer.

Regarding his failure to earn a contract abroad, I must say that Even Sunil Chhetri(The Legend) was not able to make the cut for Kansas City(MLS).

So, only those players who have the potential look good rest don't look good. If given a chance of a trial abroad, some of them might perform and some of them might not perform. This doesn't mean we should generalize them if don't manage to play abroad.

Many Top class players have not managed to play abroad. This doesn't mean they aren't good players. 
    thebeautifulgameDeb_Bannamewtheldmunna219777souravindia
  • SnepSnep 277 Points

Defence tactics were spot on in second half, press higher up the pitch. I think we were still missing the counter attack in our game. Our players made way too many mistakes clearing the ball badly and inviting pressure back again so quickly. They could have hold the ball bit longer or pass the ball quickly to the easy option than release rather than lobbing every time. Bibiano did well but he needs to focus on offensive tactics bit more when playing strong team like South Korea.

Deb_Banmunna219777
  • karenesudhakar2050karenesudhakar2050 Hyderabad 1504 Points
    Negi  will some of this  u-16 players will play for indian arrows this season or they will play as team for next afc u-19 qualifier 
  • DXDX 4074 Points
    I believe with last year's u-17 batch and this team we now after a very long period have a healthy pool with luxury of expanding further talent.

First time ever we don't have to look at TFA, Bengal clubs and occasional youth talent to create youth teams. AiFF now have thier own pool now.

Future of National team looks bright!! We now need these kids to play regular top level football.
    spartakartik91munna219777souravindia
  • kartik91kartik91 Delhi1139 Points
    True!However the real concern starts now. How are these guys gonna be managed? How can it be ensured that they play regularly, Can we see some of them trying their luck abroad ? 
    We should now see a credible u 19 and u 23 team made from these two batches in due time. 
  • kartik91kartik91 Delhi1139 Points
    Also, the success of these batches with limited scouting should encourage the clubs to do some honest scouting of their own which would only increase competition and ensure we have a very good team in near future!