Afghanistan vs India Group E World Cup Qualifier|14 November 2019

Comments

• thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29627 Points

Football: How India can qualify for the next round of World Cup qualifiers and Asian Cup finals

The Blue Tigers’ hopes of making it to the final round of World Cup qualifiers hang by a thread after the 1-1 draw against Afghanistan

a) To qualify for next round of Fifa World Cup qualifiers and AFC Asian Cup finals

This is almost mission impossible for India after Thursday’s draw against Afghanistan left them seven points from the automatic qualifying spot and six behind second-placed Oman.

The Blue Tigers play Oman next on Tuesday and it will be a must-win game for Igor Stimac’s men if they are to harbour any hopes of creating history and advancing from the preliminary round for the first time.

Even if India manage to beat Oman they would need to make up three points on Oman and also have a better goal difference. India would need to then also beat Qatar at home along with registering wins over Bangladesh and Afghanistan to edge either Oman or Qatar to the qualifying places.

India’s performances in the last two matches don’t inspire confidence but if their displays in the games against Oman and Qatar were anything to go by, Stimac and Co may not be done just yet.

b) To make for 2023 AFC Asian Cup third round qualifiers

As things stand, this appears to be India’s realistic target from these qualifiers. The Blue Tigers currently occupy the last spot that would take them directly into the final round fo Asian Cup qualifiers.

To stay in those spots, India would need to beat Afghanistan and Bangladesh. If Qatar and Oman win their remaining games against the bottom three sides as expected, India would finish third and earn a place in the third round of Asian Cup qualifiers with wins over Afghanistan and Bangladesh.

If India fail to finish third or among the four best fouth-placed teams, they will have to play a playoff round to enter the third round.

India finished bottom of their group last time and had to win a playoff round against Laos to enter the third round of Asian Cup qualifiers. The Blue Tigers who picked up form during the final round of qualification topped their group to advance the 2019 AFC Asian Cup finals for the first time in eight years.

In UAE, India put up an impressive show, winning their first game at the finals in 55 years but succumbed to agonising losses against UAE and Bahrain to narrowly miss out on the knockout stage.

However, performances and results will have to drastically improve for Stimac to match or better what former coach Stephen Constantine achieved.

https://scroll.in/field/943827/football-how-india-can-qualify-for-the-next-round-of-world-cup-qualifiers-and-asian-cup-finals

munna219777kartik91
  • RonnyRonny 10450 Points
    edited November 2019
    If SC did not get fired after India finished last in our WC qualifying group then I don't see it ever happening for Stimac
    dev_pfcNagendrakarenesudhakar2050kartik91
  • NagendraNagendra Rajahmundry, A.P6477 Points
    ;Kool

mate.. the problem is we are not fighting for full 90 mins.. even the coach is not having plan B and the subs he has used for Oman game is devastating.. 

1st game vs Oman.. we played very well till 70 mins and our players are not fit to play after 70 mins and also showed no intent to fight.. on top of it.. wrong subs introduced by Stimac

2nd game vs Qatar.. we are very good and never expected a point away..

3rd game vs Bangladesh.. overall.. we are ok.. but we have given away possession too easily and Bangladesh created lot of good chances and threatening in entire game.. they prepared very well and arrived earlier to Kolkata when our coach is hiding our team in NE

4th game vs Afghanistan.. have watched the match from 35 mins to final whistle.. we are pathetic from 35-45+ mins..  Afghanistan looked like a top Asian team.. even top performers Brandon & Adil panicked and lot of mis-passes from our team & lost possession easily..

Finally.. no one is concerned about Ranking and atleast I'm not expecting us to finish in top 50 in next 6 months.. 

we should be fine if we can qualify to Asian cup in each & every edition and stay around top 12 in Asia

also we would be much more than happy if we can pull off a surprise and can qualify for 2026 World Cup.. Just like what N.Korea did in 2010 FIFA World Cup..

P.S : 8 automatic slots for Asia in 2026 World Cup.. 
    giridharankartik91Abhishek
  • ChelseafanChelseafan Allahabad1655 Points
    Stimac also seems eager to run down Constantine's reign by constantly criticizing it for not being attacking enough, defensive minded and not attractive football. This reflects in a series of statements from Stimac since his appointment when he has taken cheap shit at Consti at every available opportunity. To his credit though, Constantine had enough grace not to react or reply back to such comments. One expects much more maturity and gravitas from a national team coach, which sadly is missing in Stimac.

Also those comparing the results of WCQ under both coaches (India finished last in its group behind even guam) seems to forget the starting base of NT available to both coaches when they took over. When Consti came in, Koeverman had left our NT as a bunch of aging, unfit non performer players who dod not deserve to wear the blue shirt ever in their life. Consti had to start from scratch by rebuilding the entire team and blooding youngsters like jhingan, udanta, thapa, changte etc  At that time we used to struggle against Nepal and lost against Myanmar i think. We Ranked 173rd in fifa. From that level Consti rebuilded which took some time and hence the poor performance in WCQ. Whereas Stimac inherited a relatively balanced young squad fresh our of their amazing journey in the Asian Cup, a team whuch had held teams like China and Oman to draws, beaten Thailand and lost narrowly ti UAE and Jordan. So the starting base of Stimac's NT was much much higher and better then Consti had. And then 5 months and 11-12 matches later, we have won how many matches? 2 I believe. Judge for yourself. 
    Passi
  • KoolKool USA186 Points
    Nagendra - the points you are making are valid. Basically you are saying team is not consistent in playing style in games 1,2,3,4 etc missing passes, not able to connect . So far they play sporadically good and bad, not being consistent in their execution. That is exactly what mediocre teams do. Just by changing the coach you cannot solve this problem. By playing the same style for longer periods of time, you slowly rectify you mistakes and become good at this style of play. National team players do not spend lot of time together on a regular basis to practice more of this style on a daily basis, which is why it is taking longer to perfect it as they are busy with their ISL and other commitments. So how changing a coach or substitutions would help make this team play more consistently. Going back to my point again - give the coach and players more time, as they are playing this high press passing cohesive style only for the past few months after SC left. If you keep changing and chopping player and playing style of the national team it will only get worst in the long run. 
         Since we are discussing on the style of play and consistency:
    Also make sure your entire country at age group levels U13,15,17,19 boys/girls at all league levels follow the same style of play. Once this happens, then we do not need to worry about consistency and then we can start worrying about, finishing the chances created, getting the substitutions right etc. This will make sure bottom to top of football structure in the country plays same style and nothing new in style to learn when they get to the national team. At present we should be focusing on our age group level to make sure every team/club follows the same high press/passing style of play for every single match, to develop quality players coming through the ranks who are very good at this style of play. This is the need of the hour and from what I have read. U15, U17 and U19 coaches are in discussions with Stimac and everyone understands what the national team is expecting and they are going to follow the same in age group teams as well. Lot of good academies are coming up which will start producing highly skilled placers in the years to come. As they come through the ranks mastering the style of play, over all the national team will gradually get better to become a good result producing team. Be patient, give them more time to get better at what they are trying to do. There is no quick fix, players from younger age have to go through the grind is the only way our team is going to get better. Not my changing the coach or national players/substitutes during a match.
    Passisudheermylankal
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29627 Points

Morgan pat for Doungel

Former East Bengal coach Trevor James Morgan praised Seiminlen Doungel, whose equaliser helped India snatch a point against Afghanistan in a World Cup qualifying round match on Thursday.

As a teenager, Doungel had started his senior club career in East Bengal in 2011. He played under Morgan for multiple years.

“I am glad for him. For me he was always a central striker... He was very young when he played for East Bengal. But now playing in the Indian Super League (ISL) he has improved through playing with better players,” Morgan told The Telegraph from Perth on Friday.

“He was direct, strong, aggressive and good in the air for his size. With time, he has sharpened his skills,” Morgan said.

The former East Bengal coach also feels Doungel has the potential to play better. “As long as he keeps a good attitude and takes advice from his teammates and coaches, he will get better,” he said.

Doungel, who was introduced in the 77th minute, scored his first international goal on Thursday. He described it as a special moment of his career. “After every dark night, there’s a brighter day... Scoring a maiden International goal is one of the most special moments in a footballer’s life, but is even more special if your country can win from it,” the footballer tweeted after the game.

Doungel wants to continue the good work. “A footballer always nurtures a dream of representing his country. I’m no different and then scoring for my country when it was needed, gave me immense joy and satisfaction.

“But, it’s just the start of the journey for me. I need to keep my head down and continue the good work as long as possible,” Doungel said. India play their next match against Oman in Muscat on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, India coach Igor Stimac said he was “not afraid” to field a completely new team in the next Fifa World Cup qualifying-round match against Oman next Tuesday.

“We know for a fact that the match is going to be very difficult for us. We need to see how quickly we recover after the difficult game that we just played,” Stimac said. 

https://www.telegraphindia.com/sport/morgan-pat-for-doungel/cid/1719607

munna219777
  • munna219777munna219777 28505 Points
    Guys we should make Oman India match day thread.
    3 days left now.

dev_pfc
  • RonnyRonny 10450 Points
    Since last season I've also felt that Doungel should be part of India squad if guys like Balwant, Farukh were making it.His form was inconsistent but overall his gameplay is much stronger and the goals he would score would be really good. I have a feeling that Doungel is now here to stay in the NT for a while!
    munna219777ashindiaharitrams24AbhishekSiV
  • IMO Doungel should be used as super sub , not for starting xi..

let him play for 20min max
  • ajmalajmal 1208 Points
    edited November 2019
    Chetri is the only player who has  a good convertion rate. Other players including the likes of doungel may score tough goals but I feel they have poor convertion rates. Doungel sometimes take aimless shots. 
    Abhishek