Sunil Chhetri

Comments

• Arsenalkid700Arsenalkid700 7 Points
    edited March 2013

@Preetam ;Dont kid yourself. If Subrata was good enough then Red Bull would have signed him. The only reason they will bring him back now is because of the branding opportunities Subrata can bring.

Sunil can make a mid-table Thai club but that is nothing compared to playing at Churchill Brothers. You acting as if the I-League is the crappiest thing on earth and that the players are only worthy if they go abroad.

And the AFC Cup wont help. He can do well but that wont change his standing at Sporting and nor will going on loan. Probably a lower table side but I doubt he would play regularly at a mid-table side in Portugal. 
  • preetampreetam 870 Points

@Arsenalkid700

if subrata  can bring branding opportunities then they have to sign him .....watever he has the ability to play in abroad if u remembered then he got the offer from K-league side but due to some injury related issue he can't join....as far as i-league is concerned i'm not saying its a crapiest thing wat i'm saying thatt if indian NT player play outside then more media will cover and it will popularize the game and it will be gud 4 confidence of player....i'm covering every aspect means that country will know our player .......and i'm giving stress in bringing foreign national team player in india not some 2nd 3rd grade nigerian.....player like ali asfaq...bilal is good...and some top thailand,singapore player which will popularize i-league in those country and they will track their player progress.....
  • Subrata Pal was linked with Arsenal... nothing happened. Pal might have been linked with a K-League side but I bet there was no truth in it. 

As for media extravaganza... When Sunil Chhetri went to MLS, how much media news was there. Besides the usual stuff from Arunava and company along with the 1 article from NDTV and DNA there was nothing else. In fact I saw more media reports in America about Chhetri's signing than in India.

Ali Ashfaq is overrated. Look at those stats in the Maldivian tournaments, he has not done so well. Bilal is also overrated. He scores 4 against Bhutan and automatically he is looked at like god. 1 goal against Sri Lanka and he is a god.

As for more foreigners... we can get better foreigners without the foreign Indian based players. We are already seeing top players like Carlos Hernandez, Bilal Narjjian, Johnny Menyongar (one of the top players from the 2nd Division of America), and Andrew Barisic (a former A-Leaguer).

Its money, if we have it and can promise incentives then they will come.
    edited March 2013

@arsenalkid

watever u said i agree wid u but u still didn't get my point fully....sunil in MLS it would have got alot more coverage if he would featured reglarly....see my earlier post i constantly putting 1 thing reputed club doesn't matter a lot playing time is important in competitive league is important.....assume sunil is in thai league let it be bottom placed team that means he is playing against top club team in their league and if performance is there then media will cover....
    i want to give one example narain karthikeyan when signed for jorden in F! everyday we are getting news abt him but after 5-6 race media didn't give importance to him bcoz performance was not there....apart from that we both know what subrata can do...don't u think after seeing his asian cup 11 performance that atleast he will make to some more competitve league leave current form(form is temporary class is permanent...wat i'm saying that sooner or later he will make it...he has the potential to make big ...assume after 1 year  if india is ranked 110 and subrata is performing like he did in 2011 asia cup then i don't see any reason why he can't make it.....

apart from that i'm saying that NT player will help i-league not sean rooney or  Andrew Barisic or tolgay ozbey as they are gud player but not NT player if suppose ali asfaq is in india whole maldives football fan will follow i-league or same is with bilal Ar. afg will follow for media purpose
  • You are the overestimating this. Unrealistic. I dont care about the media hype that would be generated. I would rather see the Indian football captain playing for the top team in Indian football with Churchill Brothers instead of being some marketing boy with some random Thai club. I dont care about the media attention because you know what will bring more attention than that? Improvement in domestic and international Indian football. 

Use Sunil. Advertise him as the player who has played in the AFC Asian Cup, trialed at the Scottish champions, trialed with Premier League QPR and who has played for Kansas City and Sporting Portugal and you have your marketing boy in India.

Then watch how he will do well, outshine the majority of foreigners and not only will we have a confident striker for the national team but we will an Indian breaking out again which is something the I-League has been lacking for a long time. And then he will do well for the India national team and if we win the 2014 AFC Challenge Cup that will get 100% more media attention than a move to a foreign club.

Now about the foreigners. WHAT DO YOU THINK THIS LEAGUE IS! Everyone on here is unrealistic on I-League. Andrew Barisac, Tolgay Ozbey, and Sean Rooney are the type of players we need. Yes, Rooney has failed but he has a great CV.

I look at my MLS and for gods we are signing random guys from latino countries. Some of our guys play national football for teams that are ranked 110. Dont think we will just sign the latest giant in Singapore or Thailand because that wont happen. 

The foreign signings we have been making are fine and are at our level. We should be grateful that we even have them. 
  • usaindiausaindia 1671 Points

good for him and other kids who see that there is money to  made in football

hm....it will be more than gud if he scores regularly...........CB has given sunil a lifeline next match for him is in AFC cup.........some preety gud matches 4 him..........

• kali007kali007 0 Points

Nice Lambo Chhreti, I hope he has decent road to drive that on and not going 60 kmph or less.

• That is a nice ride... for the 2 months a year he is in Mumbai.