Arrows News

Comments

• So Durand Cup is pre-season. So dont judge them yet.

• Half Time: Army Red 0-0 Dodsal Mumbai

• rudrarudra 2958 Points

Shaiju Mon who was taken off in first half (Durand Cup match) due to some breathing problem, is fine now and under rest. Special thanks to Arrows' physio, Kazi Juyef Islam for his quick treatment. Get well soon Shaiju

• A breathing problem. Oh god! Was it the early morning game or something?

• rudrarudra 2958 Points

> Arsenalkid700 said:
    > A breathing problem. Oh god! Was it the early morning game or something?

yes 9am

btw arthur says two players in hospital, i dunno who is the other one
  • > rudra said:
    > > Arsenalkid700 said:
    > > A breathing problem. Oh god! Was it the early morning game or something?
    >
    >

yes 9am

btw arthur says two players in hospital, i dunno who is the other one

No, I know the matches were at 9 but was the reason for his problems because he was playing a competitive match at 9 in the morning. I am guessing Papas does what professional coaches do and nurtures the players up to a set time the next game is at but the game was postponed to the morning so that messed things up. Happened to me before but it was more heat in the morning than rain.
  • ajmalajmal 1208 Points
    edited August 2012

Durand Cup - Quarterfinal league match

Delhi United Hold Pailan Arrows 2-2

In what was touted to be an easy win for Pailan Arrows, Delhi United gave them a harrowing time in the first half especially after Michael Okwudiij’s goal off a pass by Ajit Singh in the 23rd minute. Hoarse cries of direction from the Pailan coaches could not materialize into the team scoring any goal even as the penalty they were awarded in the 48th went poorly aimed.

With DUFC leading 1-0 in the first half, the second was meant to be a litmus test for Pailan. Much to the dismay of the gregarious DUFC supporters, Okwudiij’s well timed kick could only find the top bar. Pailan’s Holicharan Narzary finally found the back of the net in the 61st minute which only encouraged skipper Ongnam Milan Singh to net a perfect penalty 8 minutes later. Much to the relief of the Pailan camp, the team prevailed in most of the second half and survived the unexpected Delhi United scare but could not stop Okwudiij from scoring in the final minutes of the game which was resumed after an interruption by rain. The partially washed out contest stood 2-2 at full time.

http://www.barefootmag.in/2012/08/26/durand-cup-2012-matches-on-25-august-2012/

• Todays Results:

ONGC FC 1-1 Assam Rifles

Air India 3-0 Delhi United

ONGC need a win over Sporting Goa to advance. Assam are hoping for a draw or a ONGC loss.

Pailan need to beat Air India by more than 1 goal to advance.
  • ajmalajmal 1208 Points
    edited August 2012

@rudra how do u see the the current arrows players with the players in first season ...rate the team position wise ...ur rating of holicharan and other forwards..also is that we have the best u20 players in our team? cant we get more better players...and does our team have the players from u19 league..i noticed that academy players we have are from tfa only.. what about the players of other academies..Thanks

• rudrarudra 2958 Points

Many questions! makes me feel important. To be honest, I myself would like to know many of them. Let me give my best try here :)

how do u see the the current arrows players with the players in first season ?
    About the current players : I can only comment on how I see them, when I have actually seen them playing in this new system. I have seen them both in the last phase of last I League and in u22 practice session (before Arthur joined). But watching them play under Arthur's system is a different thing. We all are in the same boat here, very few have actually seen them playing in either u22 or Durand Cup. Taking AIFF's reports without a pinch of salt is also not the best thing to do, we need a neutral view which we don't have.
    Comparing them with first season :
    Firstly in my opinion, I don't believe the 2nd season Arrows' players were hugely inferior from 1st season. True 1st season had players like Dika, Jeje, raju and 2nd season also had a lot of talented and utility players. I mainly blame Sukhwinder Singh here (yes he has been great in past, but he couldn't guide arrows, thats a fact.). as a team these team may achieve better than the 1st season guys or maybe similar reputation, as individuals, I have high regards for Alwyn and consider him to be best talent so far in all 3 seasons. there are many good players, how well they rise to the occasion needs to be seen.

rate the team position wise
    I am assuming you are talking about positions as in central defenders, strikers, wingers etc. Position wise categorisation I can do, and will update that in future, but I cant rate them as of now. Few players will obviously be starters - Prathamesh (CB), Milan Singh (CDM/CM), Holicharan (ST), Shouvik ghosh (CB), Ravi Kumar (GK), Pronay Halder (CDM). At the moment rating them won't be fair, let them play a few more matches.

Your rating of holicharan and other forwards
    I think this will be Arthur's biggest challenge. Just check how arrows' did in 2 seasons, a clear trend comes up. The strikers are not prolific in the first half of the league. They need time to settle down, and by that time Arrows' turn into one of the worst attacking outfit (statistically, in terms of goals), in this regard refer to two of my articles (for season 1 - http://sam80dev3.blogspot.in/2011/05/indian-arrows-closer-look-at-their.html ; for season 2 - http://www.thehardtackle.com/2012/pailan-arrows-season-review-2011-12/). Now Holi played a couple of games in season 1, scored a great goal, played more in season 2, struggled to score much; Fela played a lot but didn't score much; Pankaj Sona and Rajinder are new TFA recruits. Pankaj and Rajinder, although from TFA are no Robin Singh, they would need a lot of confidence. I think arrows' will struggle in frontline, will depend a lot on Alwyn to score and provide assists.