PIO (Player of Indian Origin) Thread

Comments

• > preetam said:
    > this rule is only for india of not providing dual citizenship????or same is for pakistan????how pakistani team r getting service of foreign based player???

Those foreign based players  are representing Pakistan while still keeping their British Passports. FIFA rules allow that as they are of pakistani origin. I dont know whether they also possess Pakistani passport as well.

• preetampreetam 870 Points

@munna21977

means this is the problem with india only?
  • JoyptanJoyptan 295 Points

preetam
    @munna21977

means this is the problem with india only?

Yup.

• rudrarudra 2958 Points

> preetam said:
    > this rule is only for india of not providing dual citizenship????or same is for pakistan????how pakistani team r getting service of foreign based player???

Pakistan allows dual citizenship
  • ashindiaashindia 9384 Points

An Indian football dream, with Norway U-21 and Feyenoord

As Harmeet Singh made his way out to the centre of the 70,050-capacity Olimpiyskiy National Sports Complex in Kiev, he was living out what is a fantasy for most Indian footballers.

Harmeet, 22, was making his debut last year for Feyenoord, one of the Netherlands' top clubs. He made his entry in the 33rd minute of a crucial Champions League away qualifier against Ukrainian powerhouse Dynamo Kiev, a sign of the regard his coach Ronald Koeman holds him in. Singh, who plays as a deep midfielder, is known for accurate passes and sharp yet precise tackles.

"It was definitely the most special moment," he said by email. "I came on for Daryl Janmaat and playing for the first time for such a big club was very inspirational."

Singh was bought by Feyenoord for 300,000 euros last July. He has made six substitute appearances, starting with the one in Kiev. Club sources say Singh had been in Feyenoord's plans for a couple of years as scouts had tracked his progress with his former Norwegian club, Valerenga. Singh made 101 appearances for Valerenga in five years, scoring eight goals.

Singh had dreamt since age five about playing with a top professional club. "I started playing football at the age of five in Oslo," said Singh, youngest son of a businessman who emigrated to Norway from Ludhiana in the 1980s. "I joined Valerenga's youth setup at 13."

He has featured in all Norwegian national age-group sides and made three appearances as a full international. He debuted for the Norwegian U-21 side in 2008, and has scored thrice in 26 appearances (three players over 21 are allowed to play).

When he was younger, Singh often visited Punjab, but has not been able to do so for the past five years. "If the AIFF invites me, I am always ready to come," he said. "The idea (of playing for India) has been there. However, I am not giving it serious thought unless there is a concrete offer."

Currently, Singh says he is focused on improving enough to break into the Feyenoord first 11. "My next goal is to do well for the Norwegian u-21 side in the Euro u-21 tournament in Israel."

• preetampreetam 870 Points

common Aiff bring him to India.....he will play or not thats different thing but aiff shud try....may be he surrender his norw. passport and take visa for playing in that country........

• ashindiaashindia 9384 Points

One of those players who could have represented India but is no more eligible -  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Topor-Stanley

• that nikolai topor has a mauritian father & that too of indo european ancestry...
    too far from rep india