Indian Football News Updates

Comments

• SukunSukun Mumbai364 Points
    edited July 2023

Don't know if this is the right thread to post this,but Namadhari FC have good resources at the helm,for a club that is yet to participate in any division of national league.Also many such communities that want to develop and groom their youngsters for football or other sports,this is a good example.Quality of academic players is something to watch out for!
    ashindiaRonnyindian_goonerdeepak dedhanamewthelddeepuDeb_Ban
  • thebeautifulgamethebeautifulgame Durgapur,India29720 Points

Indian football federation mulling US-style conference format for I-League

If the new model gets the green signal from all stakeholders, the format could see the teams divided into two conferences. Teams in each conference will play home and away, with the top four from both groups then competing for the title. The remaining teams will engage in a battle to avoid relegation.

“The plan was discussed today but it is not yet decided,” the official said. “The clubs have spent lots of money, time and energy travelling from one venue to another. Just imagine, playing one game in Kozhikode and then travelling to Srinagar for the next is like crossing 5 countries in Europe. It takes a toll on the players and ultimately reflects on the quality of the game. We had to take a call – is it worth travelling so much?”

The I-League has been facing an existential crisis ever since it was taken over by the Indian Super League as the country’s top division in 2019. The matches are often played in front of empty stands, during odd hours and have inferior television production quality compared to the ISL.

The AIFF, the official noted, also realised that many I-League matches are ‘dead rubbers’. “The second half of the season is often dull. If you are out of contention for the title race, and safe from relegation, you start losing interest in the league. Teams don’t field their best players and some even send their best foreigners home after realising they are not fighting for the title,” the official said.

“In two conferences, the team will be in contention for a longer period. There will be a playoff system and the season will come alive in the second half,” the official added. “On top of that, we are also contemplating holding some matches at neutral venues like Kolhapur or Nagaland where they don’t have I-League clubs but have huge fans. That way, we can spread the game.”

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/football/federation-cup-returns-aiff-inducts-five-new-clubs-into-i-league-8699463/

indian_gooner
  • goalkeepargoalkeepar Turkish occupied Cyprus29293 Points
    AIFF scraps Super Cup, Legendary Federation cup is back 
    giridharanG_KDeb_BanSukunindian_goonerdeepu
  • ashindiaashindia 9264 Points
    edited July 2023
    With that format Teams will play 14/12 games in first leg and then 4-5 play off games max. League would wrap up in 4 months. 

Not really in favour of this format and sudden induction of so many new teams with very less options to choose players from. Quality will be degraded and gap between ISL and I-League will keep increasing

AIFF again just trying to tick check boxes from their mission 2047 plan
    goalkeeparsouravindiaRonny
    Btw there is one more new team, West Lions United FC from Gujarat they want to play in I league 3, signed Spanish coach Gustavo Onaindia 
    deepuathi_bheekaranshibier
    ashindia said:
    With that format Teams will play 14/12 games in first leg and then 4-5 play off games max. League would wrap up in 4 months. 

Not really in favour of this format and sudden induction of so many new teams with very less options to choose players from. Quality will be degraded and gap between ISL and I-League will keep increasing

Master stroke by FSDL to destroy and finish off I league, FSDL firing from shoulders of AIFF 
  • souravindiasouravindia 3616 Points
    ashindia said:

Agreed. Thats what I was thinking as well. But if all these I League clubs also participate in Durand, Federation cup and as well as mandatory State leagues, then no of matches wont be a problem. Only thing is Aiff should look that all states run a legaue
  • deepak dedhadeepak dedha Ghar2826 Points
    I thjnk the reson for conference format could be the need to sync the footballing calender of ISL and I league. If they would have gone with earlier format then I league would have extended beyond ISL and that might have created some issues.
    Deb_Ban
  • samsam 16452 Points
    Lallianzuala Chhangte (Mumbai City FC) named the AIFF Player of the Year (men's) 2022/23, Manisha Kalyan (Apollon Ladies FC) named AIFF Player of the Year (women's) 2022/23
    deepak dedhaindian_goonerdeepugiridharan