India vs Palestine International Football Friendly, 6th February 2013

Comments

• rudrarudra 2958 Points

yeah Delhi gets the Nehru Cup matches, would be bit unfair if this also if played there

• Arsenalkid700Arsenalkid700 7 Points
    edited January 2013

So... squad speculation? I know we have a thread for this already but I would still like to use this thread to say what we should do.

This match is on the 6 February 2013 while our Challenge Cup matches are in March so I would not go all out.

I would do a mix of youth and top players from the I-League. Just to get some exposure.

Goalkeepers: Gurpreet Singh Sandhu (Prayag United), Abhra Mondal (Pune), Soram Anganba (Pailan Arrows). Reason: When he was the number one goalkeeper at East Bengal, Gurpreet Singh Sandhu dominated his post. He was mobile. His distribution was pretty good and most of all his confidence is huge. The way he just leaves his post and goes for the ball sometimes is a joy to watch. The boy can also inflict control in his defense. His Goals conceded per game average was at 0.44 and he managed to keep 5 clean-sheets in 9 matches in the sticks. Abhra has also been great since returning from injury. Finally Pune have a commander in goal. His reflexes could be better but their are other traits to Mondal like his commanding presence (already noted), his fast decision making, and his tall figure. Perfect for a #2 at the national level. And Soram, easily the best goalkeeper at Pailan Arrows. His reflexes are amazing and he seems also very commanding to his team. His decision making can be better and making himself look big can be worked on to but this 20 year old talent is certainly one to have as #3.

Defenders: Denzil Franco (Churchill Brothers), Arnab Mondal (East Bengal), Naoba Singh (East Bengal), Shouvik Ghosh (Pailan Arrows), Rajinder Kumar (Pailan Arrows), Gurjinder Kumar (Pune). Reasons: For Franco I see a guy who is not the dirty type. He goes in but comes out cleanly. That is what you need in a right back. And speaking for Franco as a right-back his ability to move up the pitch is also quite good. Sometimes he can be caught out but if Wim's works his system right then Franco can work in it. Mondal and Naoba have been part of a great East Bengal defense this season which has conceded only 6 goals this year. Playing in almost every game, Naoba adds a lot offensively from the right side. However if I had to choose I would pick Franco ahead of him. Mondal has the same thing but as a defender playing in the central of the park. His approach to the game is very well done and his cleanliness when going for a tackle can assure you that you can get 90 minutes with this guy and not worry about cards. Ghosh I would select only on leadership qualities and for youth reasons. Other than that he has not opened my eyes as much. He can organize his defense but as seen today he needs to improve under pressure. Rajinder Kumar has been great at the wings for Pailan this season. Offensivly he can run up and give the ball to Alwyn who then creates a chance for Pailan and after todays goal you can tell this boy has a bag of tricks. Gurjinder Kumar to me is the 2nd best left-back in the league after Syed Nabi. Other than that I wont say more.

Midfielders: Lenny Rodrigues (Churchill Brothers), Karma Tsewang (Pune), Lalrindika Ralte (East Bengal), Mehtab Hossain (East Bengal), Romeo Fernandes (Dempo), Lalkamal Bhowmick (Prayag United), Milan Singh (Pailan Arrows), George Alwyn (Pailan Arrows), Narayan Das (Pailan Arrows). Reasons: For the midfielders I decided to go through every team and think of which one impressed me. I deliberately some youthfulness. Lenny Rodrigues is an automatic choice for me. A starter for the top team in I-League. He is probably the best Indian player they have right now. His speed and technical ability will leave you amazed. His decision making however is my only complaint but that can be fixed. Karma is the same as Lenny. Has speed and can easily cross the ball into a dangerous area. Ralte adds something though that Lenny and Karma can't. Skill. Little back flick and he is off. Ralte's speed and ability to control the ball well is astonishing. He needs to work on his crossing but this kid adds an extra dimension to our wings. Mehtab Hossain is experienced and has been a major reason for all the chances East Bengal has received offensively. The link-up play between him, Orji, and Edeh has been huge for East Bengal this season. Romeo Fernandes is a newbie at this stage but for me, he has been the best Dempo midfielder. Many people will look at the stats and argue for Clifford Miranda but when I watch Dempo I see a lot more positives from Romeo than the entire Dempo midfield. His crosses into the box are good and his awareness of the situation is very composed. He is not afraid to make that cheeky move or cheeky pass. He decides and executes and most of the time is successful. Lalkamal Bhowmick I should not explain. He may not score goals but this central midfielder is the man you want on the pitch when deciding which player will provide the best passes and which player will provide that amazing killer ball for the striker to finish. So far I rate him better than Hernandez to be honest. His work-rate is high and his desire to win the game is not challenged at all. Milan Singh would be brought in as filler in the squad. Someone you could bring in for 10 minutes to perhaps get the ball and create something with it. He definitely has a leadership quality to him as well. George Alwyn: Watch the Air India game again. That will tell you how great this guy is. He reminds me of Jack Wilshere. A player who can run to the middle of the field, gather the ball and run and run to his goal and either create a glorious chance for a teammate or create a chance for himself. He is not a finished book but get some confidence in this boy and the world is his oyster. Narayan Das adds the qualities of a defensive midfielder. His reading of the game, his comprehension of what is going on around him, and his ability to run forward gives him that Alex Song like quality.

Forwards: Jeje Lalpekhlua (Pune), Robin Singh (East Bengal), Joaquim Abrances (Dempo), CK Vineeth (Prayag United), Sunil Chhetri (Sporting Clube de Portugal B).
    Reasons: This was probably the hardest one for me. All 5 players have 14 goals between them this season; Chhetri has 0. Now I might as well give the reason for why I selected Chhetri because normally it would be common sense for a national team coach not to select a player with only 3 caps in the last 4 months (tied for the least amount of caps for forwards on Sporting B) but this is an exception. We need Chhetri. That is fact. Yes, I did say we can move on without him but not now. Maybe in 2014 but not now. We need to see how Chhetri reacts to playing in an international match while probably not at best fitness. If he can do something good in this match then perhaps we can select him in the AFC Challenge Cup qualifiers. As for the rest. Jeje has been on form among Indian players with 2 goals in the last month. Both of them good striker goals. He has 4 overall, tied for most. Joaquim is about to hit his prime and he has done well recently, scoring 4 goals in the last month. Easily player of the month among Indians in December. CK Vineeth has 3 goals this season but his play on the wings is more important. He has skill to get around a player and the fatigue to play full 90 matches. Robin Singh; he has been the best striker for me on East Bengal in the last month. Scoring against Pailan and Salgaocar both goals looked very, very good. I would have him on the bench and maybe play him as a sub for experience reasons.
  • So overall this would be my squad of 23:

Goalkeepers: Gurpreet Singh Sandhu, Abhra Mondal, Soram Anganba.

Defenders: Denzil Franco, Arnab Mondal, Naoba Singh, Shouvik Ghosh, Rajinder Kumar, Gurjinder Kumar.

Midfielders: Lenny Rodrigues, Karma Tsewang, Lalrindika Ralte, Mehtab Hossain, Romeo Fernandes, Lalkamal Bhowmick, Milan Singh, George Alwyn, Narayan Das.

Forwards: Sunil Chhetri, Jeje Lalpekhlua, Joaquim Abranches, Robin Singh, CK Vineeth.

And my line-up would be this:

Sandhu.
    Franco, Arnab, Ghosh, Gurjinder.
    Ralte, Bhowmick, Hossain, Alwyn
    Chhetri, Lalpekhlua

SUBS: Abhra, Naoba, Rajinder, Rodrigues, Fernandes, Abranches, Vineeth.
  • Sadly we will be without some notable players from Bagan like Nirmal Chettri, Syed Nabi, and Jewel Raja.

• preetampreetam 870 Points

Mohun bagan is banned ..but is it means that their player also banned to play for India?????????????

• JoyptanJoyptan 295 Points

preetam said:
    Mohun bagan is banned ..but is it means that their player also banned to play for India?????????????

NO

• preetampreetam 870 Points

@Arsenalkid700

if joyptan is right then i don't think that all 3 will miss the squad....wim will certainly include them...

preetam said:
    @Arsenalkid700

if joyptan is right then i don't think that all 3 will miss the squad....wim will certainly include them...

They will be very very rusty though.

• archakarchak 2082 Points

@joy nabi jewel and nirmal rusty na..... from what i have seen from the dgp camp of mb they were the working quite hard especially nirmal

archak
    @joy nabi jewel and nirmal rusty na..... from what i have seen from the dgp camp of mb they were the working quite hard especially nirmal

They will be physically fit. But rusty in terms of match fitness,what some eb players are who ralely get a game to play.

Physical fitness and match fitness are totaly diferent things. You can't get match fitness by just prcticing and playing matches against academy sides.